Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fog lights on my last 2 vehicles(A Sienna and an Outback) could only be turned on when the headlights were on. I found that terribly useless in really foggy situations. I didn't order the fog lights on my Premium because I didn't want a repeat of those experiences. I've read that people are installing the fog lights afterwards and having a separate switch on the dash for them. For those who added the fog light kit afterwards, can you tell me if they can be turned on without the headlights on? And do you think it was worth getting them afterwards? Thanks for any suggestions about them.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
The fog lights on my last 2 vehicles(A Sienna and an Outback) could only be turned on when the headlights were on. I found that terribly useless in really foggy situations. I didn't order the fog lights on my Premium because I didn't want a repeat of those experiences. I've read that people are installing the fog lights afterwards and having a separate switch on the dash for them. For those who added the fog light kit afterwards, can you tell me if they can be turned on without the headlights on? And do you think it was worth getting them afterwards? Thanks for any suggestions about them.
I had my OEM fog lights installed on my Premium after the fact. They can only be turned on when you have your headlights turned on, and low beams only. The reason the switch is on the dash vice turn signal stalk is because they weren't installed at the factory. As far as the restriction on when they can turn on, in some places it's local ordinances that dictate their use, such as they can only be used with low beams and not high beams. Having said that, I've personally never encountered a situation when I would want to use just my fog lights for their intended purpose without also having my "properly adjusted" low beams on as well. And of course there is no reason to use fog lights while you're using your high beams, which is why they turn off automatically when you turn on your high beams.

·
Registered
826 Posts
When I was looking at extra front lights i read that it is AZ law (and I'm assuming similar in many other states) that only 4 white lights can be on at a time. So 2 fogs + 2 lows or 2 lows + 2 highs.

You could easily get a wiring harness with a relay that lets you switch on your fogs independently of the other lights, but unless you get some seriously bright fogs, you probably won't be happy with the result.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just did the wiring for this a few days ago. Bought the LP adventure front bumper guard and added a set of yellow LED fog lights to the front (there's a separate thread here somewhere with pics).
I also looked around and found the OEM appearing fog light switch and bought that ($60?!?), but after wiring up, it's pretty nice.
Like another poster mentioned, I followed the hood release cable and threaded the fog light wiring back along the drivers side fender and into the drivers footwell. Wired the red light to come on with the other button lights, but the actual fog light function is completely separate and independent from the headlights / driving lights.
I'll try to do a write up later on...
-C

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just did the wiring for this a few days ago. Bought the LP adventure front bumper guard and added a set of yellow LED fog lights to the front (there's a separate thread here somewhere with pics).
I also looked around and found the OEM appearing fog light switch and bought that ($60?!?), but after wiring up, it's pretty nice.
Like another poster mentioned, I followed the hood release cable and threaded the fog light wiring back along the drivers side fender and into the drivers footwell. Wired the red light to come on with the other button lights, but the actual fog light function is completely separate and independent from the headlights / driving lights.
I'll try to do a write up later on...
-C
any chance you had the opportunity to do that write-up? I'm interested as well, I really want it to come on separately.

·
Administrator
8,802 Posts
Also where did u find the oem dash switch?..I can't seem to find it.

Let me know,
Thanks!!
It's a part for the OEM accessory. Your parts shop should be able to dig out the part number.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, after looking online at schematics, I had a hard time finding more than just the whole oem accessory itself.

Instead of the Subaru fog lights, I am adding the Diode Dynamics SS3 pods and just buying the hardware for the fogs separately, except for the switch which wasn't listed.

It seems they have a Subaru kit with the "hopefully" the right bracket for a 2019 wrx, it's flat like the ascents. But I need the switch.

Thanks for the info, so they have a separate parts system for the oem accessories? Since none of the specifics are listed online?

Just got my hitch in and my sill plates, Nano Tint, Rockford upgrade, kind of disappointed in that though, but I'm ready for more!

Thanks again Robert...:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok, after looking online at schematics, I had a hard time finding more than just the whole oem accessory itself.

Instead of the Subaru fog lights, I am adding the Diode Dynamics SS3 pods and just buying the hardware for the fogs separately, except for the switch which wasn't listed.

It seems they have a Subaru kit with the "hopefully" the right bracket for a 2019 wrx, it's flat like the ascents. But I need the switch.

Thanks for the info, so they have a separate parts system for the oem accessories? Since none of the specifics are listed online?

Just got my hitch in and my sill plates, Nano Tint, Rockford upgrade, kind of disappointed in that though, but I'm ready for more!

Thanks again Robert...:)
Did you mount these DDs where the Ascents' OEM fog light modules are located?

·
Registered
2021 ascent
7 Posts
any updates on the fog light install and some pics? Im wanting to pick up a set of yellow fogs for the ascent and curious if should just go oem with yellow bulb or do a led kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts