Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a thread a year or so ago about someone who added an electronic rear view mirror. They didn't have a touring but wanted the rear mirror.

Has anyone been able to add the Subaru parts? I'd love to not have an extra monitor on the dash and I'm not comfortable with the replacement mirrors.

If not, does anyone have any recent recommendations for a back up camera system? Everything I find out there looks like cheap crap and I'd rather not have it break in a year.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,464 Posts
If not, does anyone have any recent recommendations for a back up camera system? Everything I find out there looks like cheap crap and I'd rather not have it break in a year.
Your Ascenet already has a good backup camera native. The "mirror cam" in the Touring is just a different way of doing rear-view while driving and isn't a backup camera. I do not recall anyone actually retrofitting the feature onto a lower trim, but perhaps I missed it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

I need an electronic rear view mirror, not a backup camera. :- ) When we go camping we glamp and load it to the roof!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
964 Posts
The smart mirror:
The smart mirror camera:
And then there's a whole bunch of harnesses, connectors and trim pieces which you can look up if the $900 for the 2 main components hasn't scared you off. This all presumes that the non-Touring has the correct wiring in place. Others have found that non-Touring don't include the wiring for the folding mirrors so it's entirely possible that your car's harnesses won't support adding the smart camera components at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,464 Posts
Yea...not going to be plug and play in any way, shape or form. If the market wasn't so, um....interesting...right now, I'd suggest you trade for a Touring. Simpler.

Reactions: justmatt

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
964 Posts
Yea...not going to be plug and play in any way, shape or form. If the market wasn't so, um....interesting...right now, I'd suggest you trade for a Touring. Simpler.
I was going to suggest that too but got sidetracked by the cost of the replacement parts.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
OP: there's a crude way to activate rear view camera anytime by holding down some buttons; I just forgot....

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
There's a number of aftermarket options for this. Might be a LOT cheaper.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just giving you what I found with my radio replacement....the regular backup camera on my base model is 'always on' powered by the radio (6volts if I remember).
The camera is just an analog composite signal, the kind that would usually have a yellow phono plug in the old days.
The radio modifies the image by cropping and de-warping it. The raw image from the backup camera is very wide/tall and looks like a fishbowl on a regular monitor.

The trick with buttons to get it to always display on the radio would be the easiest. If you're adventurous you could split the signal going to a separate monitor. That would require soldering and figuring out which wires are which.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Are both video sources from the same camera? I was led to believe that the rear-view camera was a high mount camera that pointed back, whereas the backup camera was the one depicted in this link.

I'm only generally curious; I have no appetite to actually do anything like this.
They're separate sources. I've bypassed the backup camera for an external one when I have my hitch mounted spare tire in place. Works well. Requires its own power connection (or a more expensive 6V camera).

·
Super Moderator
3,464 Posts
Are both video sources from the same camera?
No. The rear-view mirror has a separate camera up high in the glass of the hatch just below the center brake light. The backup camera is on the hatch just above the license plate and is an ultra wide angle...not useful for "rear view" while driving forward, but brilliant for getting the ball under the trailer tongue first time, every time. :) :D

So in addition to the raw parts and the "hope" that wiring exists, there may be a completely different interior trim panel on the rear hatch, etc., for the Touring trim because of where/how the camera is located behind the glass.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
964 Posts
Are both video sources from the same camera? I was led to believe that the rear-view camera was a high mount camera that pointed back, whereas the backup camera was the one depicted in this link.

I'm only generally curious; I have no appetite to actually do anything like this.
Pretty sure that's the high mounted camera for the Touring smart mirror setup. When I removed Touring from the search parameters this camera didn't come up.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Pretty sure that's the high mounted camera for the Touring smart mirror setup. When I removed Touring from the search parameters this camera didn't come up.
The smart mirror is a Touring Only part, but what's weird is that the Smart Mirror Camera seems like it is available for all models, hence the confusion on my end. Probably an error in the database. Glitch in the matrix.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
I find those from time to time, and generally submit a request to get it fixed. I'll see if I can reach out tomorrow or next week about that one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Touring high mount camera is nice and adjustable, but it freaks out my eyes (im nearsided and wear glasses) every time. The single plane view gives me a headache after about 6 seconds. I lover the labeling on the bulge at the top of the rear window when you open the hatch "Smart Rearview Mirror - Camera". I could take it or leave it on the Touring (the front camera gets daily usage). It wasn't a feature that made us choose the touring.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The smart mirror:
The smart mirror camera:
And then there's a whole bunch of harnesses, connectors and trim pieces which you can look up if the $900 for the 2 main components hasn't scared you off. This all presumes that the non-Touring has the correct wiring in place. Others have found that non-Touring don't include the wiring for the folding mirrors so it's entirely possible that your car's harnesses won't support adding the smart camera components at all.
It will almost certainly not have the required wiring. I'm targeting a 2022 Forester and if they don't add the camera based mirror option I'm considering trying to add it myself. It is present on several over-seas models. We shall see though because without a doubt it will be a MASSIVE undertaking requiring a ton of research and expense.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, so much for paying attention to my own thread. Sorry about that. Great find on the official Subaru parts, and wow on the prices! Getting a Touring just isn't going to happen, both for financial and availability reasons.

I did order a wireless backup camera, it should be arriving soon. We realized that we only need it when camping (because the car is full) or when we'll tow someday. So the display only needs to be on the dash when in use, so a cigarette lighter power supply and suction cup is adequate. I threw an un-used GPS on the dash the other day and it didn't block EyeSight, so that's good. And the one we got has a second camera channel so we could put the 2nd camera on the travel trailer.

I'm not sure if I'm going to install it myself or have a pro do it. We have a good person in town, just does custom car work!

I'd like to install it inside the car, it looks like there is room at the bottom of the back lid and power should be easy to get there, plus there is a small access door. Outside, I'm not so sure. The cameras are all waterproof but still, I worry about car washes wrecking them and there isn't much room above the license plate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The trick with buttons to get it to always display on the radio would be the easiest. If you're adventurous you could split the signal going to a separate monitor. That would require soldering and figuring out which wires are which.
But then I lose Apple CarPlay, I would want my maps and/or music.

·
Super Moderator
3,464 Posts
Wow, so much for paying attention to my own thread. Sorry about that. Great find on the official Subaru parts, and wow on the prices! Getting a Touring just isn't going to happen, both for financial and availability reasons.

I did order a wireless backup camera, it should be arriving soon. We realized that we only need it when camping (because the car is full) or when we'll tow someday. So the display only needs to be on the dash when in use, so a cigarette lighter power supply and suction cup is adequate. I threw an un-used GPS on the dash the other day and it didn't block EyeSight, so that's good. And the one we got has a second camera channel so we could put the 2nd camera on the travel trailer.

I'm not sure if I'm going to install it myself or have a pro do it. We have a good person in town, just does custom car work!

I'd like to install it inside the car, it looks like there is room at the bottom of the back lid and power should be easy to get there, plus there is a small access door. Outside, I'm not so sure. The cameras are all waterproof but still, I worry about car washes wrecking them and there isn't much room above the license plate.
Just keep in mind that cameras designed as backup cameras are extremely wide angle and will not provide you anything like the view you would get from the real mirror or the Touring version's video rear view. Backup cameras are designed for close in, wide angle view immediately behind the vehicle. For your intended use, the image of what's behind you while moving forward is going to be somewhat difficult to utilize in the same way you would normally use the mirror. 'Just saying this so you can set your expectations.

Reactions: NotThePainter
1 - 20 of 22 Posts