Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried adding an external keypad for keyless entry, such as Ford offers on their vehicles? Our old Explorer had this feature and my wife fell in love with it. She likes to be able to lock her key inside the car when she's hiking or at the beach. I know this can be accomplished on the Ascent by temporarily disabling the fob and using a code with the button on the back hatch, but that seems cumbersome for regular use. I've seen them available as an aftermarket item, such as the Essex AKE5, but I'm concerned about getting it to work in conjunction with the Ascent's proximity activated locking system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lians60, I was aware of that feature, but would like a less cumbersome solution. In addition to locking the keys inside, the wife finds herself using the keypad feature when she's working -- her job has her frequently needing to run out to her car for something and she doesn't want to carry her keys/fob with her while she's working. I'm told it's a "girl thing". :)

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
The ford keypad has an Achilles heel. Make sure you turn your headlights off before locking your keys in the car! With a dead battery there is no way in!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The fob contains a hidden conventional key that can manually unlock the door. It might be worthwhile to have a key shop cut a key for you that can be hidden on the car to get access if the fob is inside with a dead battery.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Has anyone tried adding an external keypad for keyless entry, such as Ford offers on their vehicles? Our old Explorer had this feature and my wife fell in love with it. She likes to be able to lock her key inside the car when she's hiking or at the beach. I know this can be accomplished on the Ascent by temporarily disabling the fob and using a code with the button on the back hatch, but that seems cumbersome for regular use. I've seen them available as an aftermarket item, such as the Essex AKE5, but I'm concerned about getting it to work in conjunction with the Ascent's proximity activated locking system.
Rather than disabling the Fob, buy a Faraday bag and leave the remote in the car. The bag "blocks" the signal coming from the Fob. Check the sizes if you order. Some are large enough to hold credit cards and passport and others are prefect for the Fob only. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=faraday+...86&sprefix=faraday,aps,277&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_7

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The fob contains a hidden conventional key that can manually unlock the door. It might be worthwhile to have a key shop cut a key for you that can be hidden on the car to get access if the fob is inside with a dead battery.
Do you know if this key is a smart key or will a conventional cut key even work on the ascent? Maybe it just can open door but not start vehicle.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Do you know if this key is a smart key or will a conventional cut key even work on the ascent? Maybe it just can open door but not start vehicle.
The hidden valet key is a dumb key, and will not turn off the alarm, but, will lock and unlock the car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
^^^ This!

The app is easy peasy!.
Will the App lock the car if the fob is inside? Or does the fob still need to be deactivated first?

Setting up the code is a one-time deal with the instructions in hand. Using the code to unlock is really easy. Probably faster than the App would do it. And it works without paying extra for Starlink Security plus.

Not as convenient as a key pad, to be sure. Not something I'd want to use on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It would be great if it would recognize Morse so I could set up an easy and quick to enter (for me) alphanumeric password. And there's way way more possible code combinations doing it that way. Just three characters is over 45,000. Four is over 1.6 million.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Will the App lock the car if the fob is inside? Or does the fob still need to be deactivated first?

Setting up the code is a one-time deal with the instructions in hand. Using the code to unlock is really easy. Probably faster than the App would do it. And it works without paying extra for Starlink Security plus.

Not as convenient as a key pad, to be sure. Not something I'd want to use on a daily basis.
It will start the car with an active fob inside the car (found out that one by mistake), so I assume it will lock it also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This procedure is ridiculously complicated.
Agreed i gave up was annoying to setup. If need be i will unlock the car via the app and leave the key in a metal box in the car. I cant think of one thing i would do without my phone in my pocket. My phone is rugged and water resistant.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
...I cant think of one thing i would do without my phone in my pocket.
Yeah. About the only thing I've done without my phone in my pocket is look for where I mislaid it.

A couple of years ago I was at a trailhead with my RX350 getting ready to ride my mtb. My fob, phone, and wallet were in my Camelbak on the back seat. I got out, closed the driver's door, and it locked. WTF!!!??? Fortunately my AAA membership was current and there were some houses not too far away. I knocked on doors until somebody answered and let me call AAA. Amazingly, they showed in about 15 minutes and it was interesting to see (and help) the guy break into my car. It involved plastic levers, wedges, a little airbag, and a lock flipper. The problem was each time he manged to flip the lock, it would automatically lock again. I had to grab the door handle and pull at exactly the right moment to get the door open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks so much for all of the advice, everyone! I think we'll get by with the app, and possibly a faraday bag if that proves necessary. I'm about to put a deposit on a new Limited that's "in transit" to the dealer. Would love to get it now, especially with the 0.9% financing ending Jan. 2 , but all of the California dealers are out of loaded Limiteds with our preferred color scheme (Blue w/Black interior). I really hope Subaru's next financing deal isn't drastically different!

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
... it was interesting to see (and help) the guy break into my car. It involved plastic levers, wedges, a little airbag, and a lock flipper.
ugh. They won’t charge you if you turn those ‘locksmiths’ away.
I had that type of service done on two previous vehicles (one being the previously mentioned ford with a dead battery and keypad entry) and the doors have never been the same afterward.
I went kayaking and left my fob in my car once after that and waited an hour for the locksmith after I realized I was locked out of my Chevy Cruze because OnStar failed. It was getting dark and my shirt was in the car. When he showed up with one of those airbag inflated things I kindly told him not to touch my car. It took 2 tries to get an Uber that didn’t mind me in my swim trunks and towel to give me a ride home 30 minute away to get my spare key. Thankfully I had my phone. I might have just walked a few hours if I didn’t have it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.