Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased our Premium Ascent with Sport Package/Nav two weeks ago. Disappointed to find out my 3rd row passengers have a hard time hearing music when at a normal listening volume. It can be heard at higher volumes but it becomes too loud for passengers in the 2nd row when the audio is faded to the back. Has anyone attempted installing speakers in the 3rd row?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you figure it out let me know
My plan at this point is to upgrade the current 6 speakers and hope that improves the sound quality/clarity in the 3rd row. I will let you know if that works.

I really wish Subaru had an upgrade/accessory option for the 3rd row for those Ascents without the HK upgrade.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My plan at this point is to upgrade the current 6 speakers and hope that improves the sound quality/clarity in the 3rd row. I will let you know if that works.

I really wish Subaru had an upgrade/accessory option for the 3rd row for those Ascents without the HK upgrade.
I have the stock speakers on my premium let me know which you are planning on using and are they plug and switch type because I would like better sound but with out breaking the bank thank you in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
I upgraded my speakers on my premium with Hertz Dieci 6.5 round for the front and the back. If you buy from crutchfield they will give you the wiring(speaker connector adapter) and speaker adapters (to fix speaker to existing hole), If you order through them make sure you choose the adapter for each door as the front speakers are 6x9 and these are 6.5 round, So each set has a different adapter to allow speaker to fit..for a cheaper speaker they sound pretty good.

You can find a pretty good buy sometimes on ebay under 100$, but by the time you buy the adapter brackets 20$ and speaker connector adapters 10$ I think, well you almost have the same price and less hassle.

Also the speakers are 129$ a pair with the speaker connector adapters, and the speaker mounting adapters and a diagram to help with removal of door and info.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Premium
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks SammieC. I haven’t gotten around to upgrading yet so I will check out your recommendation. Do you have 3rd row passengers? If so, have they noticed an improvement in sound? Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, but I sat back there and it was some improvement, but with the second row speakers muted somehow, compared to the front. I'm planning on doing the rockford upgrade to get better volume and maybe it will liven up the second row speakers a bit. I notice this is my legacy as well, the second row is either tuned down or whatever. When I get it in we will see if the digital settings help out the second row volume, since they say it is aligned specifically for our vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I upgraded my speakers on my premium with Hertz Dieci 6.5 round for the front and the back. If you buy from crutchfield they will give you the wiring(speaker connector adapter) and speaker adapters (to fix speaker to existing hole), If you order through them make sure you choose the adapter for each door as the front speakers are 6x9 and these are 6.5 round, So each set has a different adapter to allow speaker to fit..for a cheaper speaker they sound pretty good.

You can find a pretty good buy sometimes on ebay under 100$, but by the time you buy the adapter brackets 20$ and speaker connector adapters 10$ I think, well you almost have the same price and less hassle.

Also the speakers are 129$ a pair with the speaker connector adapters, and the speaker mounting adapters and a diagram to help with removal of door and info.
I’m trying to decide if I need to add an aftermarket amplifier or not and I can’t find the RMS output for the 2020 OEM Subaru Ascent Amplifier anywhere. I’m planning on adding 2 6x9 Kicker KS Series 3-way speakers (RMS of 150 W) to the front and 2 6.5 Kicker KS series to the rear. The shop told me I don’t need a more power amplifier unless I end up adding a sub. Is this true? Will the stock amp have enough power for these speakers?

·
Registered
559 Posts
So long as you have sufficient bass, I would think if there is no other solution, you could mount some surface mounted extended mid-range in the 3rd row area. Bass is a long wave and as such, it penetrates structures easily so just like in a home theater, if the other speakers in the vehicle are providing sufficient bass, the 3rd row would be fine with just a midrange driver. The trick you're going to face is how to fade the third row.

The timing of the signals will be incorrect and you could end up with a less defined musical image and possibly some small amount of time smearing. The proper way to do this would be to use a DSP unit to allow all the signals to be properly time aligned. But good DSP units will drive up the price and complexity of your project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts