Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our Ascent almost two weeks ago in Abyss Blue Pearl. But then I had it wrapped as a surprise for the wife, and for some added paint protection, on the harsh Florida roads. Also had the front windows tinted to legal spec. Overall very happy so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
That is interesting. I could get my Ascent in a shade of forest green this way...maybe. Where did you get this done, since I too am in Florida?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's neat! How much does it cost to have a car wrapped in a different color? Is it vinyl?
Yes it is vinyl, cost depends on the color and type of coverage. I was quoted $2700, actual cost was $2895. Be warned some shops will try to lay it around the roof rails and others will want to remove them. In any case it takes around a week to have it done.

That is interesting. I could get my Ascent in a shade of forest green this way...maybe. Where did you get this done, since I too am in Florida?
The shop I used is Launch Control Auto Salon in Melbourne, they are a small shop with Subie driving owners. Great people. There are plenty others as well in probably every major city/metro area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, that looks nice and I would love that color. That said, a week for install wouldn't fly in our household :-(

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that looks nice and I would love that color. That said, a week for install wouldn't fly in our household :-(
I had to get creative to explain away that week of the car being in the "shop". Also, rentals aren't terribly expensive even a small SUV.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had to get creative to explain away that week of the car being in the "shop". Also, rentals aren't terribly expensive even a small SUV.
I had to rent a medium SUV recently and best quote around here was around $380 for about a week after tax (no extras/ins) :tango_face_surprise
Large SUVs and Sedans were like twice that, I don't recall rentals being that pricey in the past.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
I love that color!

How long does a wrap like that last? Maybe this guy I saw got a walmart special, but I saw a Challenger yesterday with a green wrap that was peeling especially on the lower front bumper.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love that color!

How long does a wrap like that last? Maybe this guy I saw got a walmart special, but I saw a Challenger yesterday with a green wrap that was peeling especially on the lower front bumper.
With a vinyl wrap, preparation of the surface and care after application are key to longevity. At worst 1-2 years and at best 7+ years. I think the actual will be somewhere in the 4 year range. It depends on proper care (cleaning and UV protection spray) and sun exposure as well as chemical exposure ( acid rain, bugs etc.)

Check out some youtube videos on wrap applications, you can learn a lot about what to look for in an installer. This is not glorified tint, the application is vastly different.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, after watching some more quality wrap applications on YT it changed my mind on them. I've seen so many hack jobs on the road over the years with all sorts of piecemeal cut-outs. Apparently the vinyl is easily manipulated to form to body contours from the YT videos I've seen for a more seamless look and application that I'm sure greatly helps for longevity.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We picked up our Ascent almost two weeks ago in Abyss Blue Pearl. But then I had it wrapped as a surprise for the wife, and for some added paint protection, on the harsh Florida roads. Also had the front windows tinted to legal spec. Overall very happy so far.
Wow! That looks fantastic! I love that color as well! :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
With a vinyl wrap, preparation of the surface and care after application are key to longevity. At worst 1-2 years and at best 7+ years. I think the actual will be somewhere in the 4 year range. It depends on proper care (cleaning and UV protection spray) and sun exposure as well as chemical exposure ( acid rain, bugs etc.)

Check out some youtube videos on wrap applications, you can learn a lot about what to look for in an installer. This is not glorified tint, the application is vastly different.
+1
Care is the key..
I used Zaino right over 3M black matte vinyl and it still fine after 10+ years.
on other car used adam's and plastic, rubber and vinyl all looked terrible after 8 month ... (back in ~2010)

i use CarPro now but its only been 6 month all good for now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.