Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I added a temporary dash cam in our Ascent. I'm planning on ordering and installing an entire (permanent and hardwired) set up that will cover the front, rear, and both sides. Leaning towards the new Viofo A129 Duo, two sets.

I remember hearing from a few of you that you cannot put anything on the windshield because it could interfere with the EyeSight cameras. Even Rain-X... However, doing my research on this, I found an older bulletin (2014) giving guidelines on where you can mount devices "safely" on the windshield and that shouldn't interfere with the EyeSight cameras.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/157/etc-e...-guidelines-2013-2014-subaru-legacy-outback/2

Hoping the template the bulletin provides can be applied to our Ascent as well, I used it to figure out the placement of the temporary dash cam. The new dash cam will go in it's place but will be mounted directly to the windshield with 3M tape and not with the suction cup, so it will sit lower/more flush with the windshield (which the bulletin recommends, no higher off the glass than 1.5").

So far everything appears to be functioning properly. We haven't had any prompts or warnings from the EyeSight cameras yet using the suction mounted temporary dash cam.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Today I added a temporary dash cam in our Ascent. I'm planning on ordering and installing an entire (permanent and hardwired) set up that will cover the front, rear, and both sides. Leaning towards the new Viofo A129 Duo, two sets.

I remember hearing from a few of you that you cannot put anything on the windshield because it could interfere with the EyeSight cameras. Even Rain-X... However, doing my research on this, I found an older bulletin (2014) giving guidelines on where you can mount devices "safely" on the windshield and that shouldn't interfere with the EyeSight cameras.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/157/etc-e...-guidelines-2013-2014-subaru-legacy-outback/2

Hoping the template the bulletin provides can be applied to our Ascent as well, I used it to figure out the placement of the temporary dash cam. The new dash cam will go in it's place but will be mounted directly to the windshield with 3M tape and not with the suction cup, so it will sit lower/more flush with the windshield (which the bulletin recommends, no higher off the glass than 1.5").

So far everything appears to be functioning properly. We haven't had any prompts or warnings from the EyeSight cameras yet using the suction mounted temporary dash cam.
Awesome plan with the 2 sets. I have 2 Thinkware f770's in my Forester XT (one set faces in and one faces out) but I'm on the fence between the F800 pro and the iRoad x9. Waiting for a sale to buy them. These cameras are a great addition and you won't see interference in that location. I have mine there in the forester with no issues. I also have 70% tint on the windshield and have no issues. Just saved some great wildlife footage from my cameras in Wyoming!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome plan with the 2 sets. I have 2 Thinkware f770's in my Forester XT (one set faces in and one faces out) but I'm on the fence between the F800 pro and the iRoad x9. Waiting for a sale to buy them. These cameras are a great addition and you won't see interference in that location. I have mine there in the forester with no issues. I also have 70% tint on the windshield and have no issues. Just saved some great wildlife footage from my cameras in Wyoming!
Cool, yeah I was looking at the F770 and 800 until I saw the prices :eek: Never heard of the iRoad x9

I'm liking the A129 because its got the wifi, dual cameras, can use 256GB cards, optional polarizing filter, and what I think is really cool, it will have an optional bluetooth emergency button. So you don't have to fumble around trying to hit the small save button on the camera, you can mount the bluetooth button anywhere more convenient. Plus it's a little more palatable to the wallet.

We've caught a few neat things on our dash cams so far. The best being right after I installed them on our other car. We were driving home one night at midnight coming over a hill and had to slam on our brakes because there was a lost horse just walking right in the middle of the road, lol. Came to a complete stop and it just walked right past us with not a care in the world, haha! Took us a while to help corral it, but it was fun.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
That pretty much matches the Ascent guidelines. You will find the similar drawings in your Eyesight manual, and someplace in the forum in one of my posts. So, yep, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That pretty much matches the Ascent guidelines. You will find the similar drawings in your Eyesight manual, and someplace in the forum in one of my posts. So, yep, you'll be fine.
Good to hear, thanks! Still trying to find time to get all those other manuals downloaded too :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I would think the "tricky" part would be hardwiring the camera without knocking the eyesight out of alignment in the process.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think the "tricky" part would be hardwiring the camera without knocking the eyesight out of alignment in the process.
Yep, still brainstorming ideas on that front. I saw someone tap into the power wires going to the rear view mirror... not sure I’m “that” qualified to do that and still make it look stock. Plus even if I can do that for the power wire, there’s still the rear camera feed wire/cord I’ll have to run and tuck out of sight.

If all else fails I’ll probably just put the camera to one side of the windshield to safely and securely tuck the wires out of sight. Out of the way of the side curtain airbag of course. :nerd:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just got in the mail my blackvue dr900s 2channel.

I have the dr750s in our minivan and my type R, so overall have a positive experience (although expensive).

Gonna install it next week. Hardwire directly into the fuse box.

·
Registered
265 Posts

I have the dr750s in our minivan and my type R, so overall have a positive experience (although expensive).

I came close to going with this setup due to the frame rate out of 4k. The 4k isn't a bad feature either but ended up going with 2 pairs of the Thinkware f800 pro. I always go with a 4 camera setup for 360 degrees. Ill put one in the front window and the 'rear' camera from the front will face in to the cabin from the little cubby under the radio. The second pair will do the same but in the rear window. Nice rot know that video can be captured is someone breaks in to the car. Ordered from Blackboxmycar with the cellink Neo backups on each. Where did you order from?

post some photos when they come in! mine are set to arrive in 5 days. Installing on the 18th.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Nice!

Let us know how the installation goes and where you end up running the wires. Love to see some pictures too, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
Nice!

Let us know how the installation goes and where you end up running the wires. Love to see some pictures too, if you don't mind.
x2. Looking to see the details as well as where you tapped for power, etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice!

x2. Looking to see the details as well as where you tapped for power, etc.
x3. Also interested. Would like to know which fuses you tapped off of. I'm coming from a beater car in which I didn't care about wires everywhere so I've never done a hardwire install before.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

When you get the details of the new hardwire setup, the mods should definitely make that a "sticky." This is a mod all Subaru Ascent owners should do regardless of which dash cam they choose. There are too many people claiming the other driver was at fault, when they were actually the offending party.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok. If I remember to grab pics during install I will! And try to be as detailed as possible.

Fyi - For my minivan I tapped into door locks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK, so I installed 2/3 of my dashcam setup today.

Installed front facing dashcam. Installed rear facing dashcam too. I have not installed the hardwire directly into the fuse yet because i realized i picked up the wrong fuse taps.

I'll provide some more details once i finish the hardwire portion (fuse taps should arrive early next week). So front, as always, is super easy to install. Tucked the front's wire behind the Front Side Airbags and brought it down to the driver's leg area. Right now the wire is sitting beneath my drivers seat plugging into the 12v outlet in the center dash.

Rear dashcam was a bit more difficult since the weatherproof gaskets are a bit more difficult than Honda's. I pulled the 2 panels on the rear door off and feed the wires through the holes that already have factory wires for rear defroster, brake lights, rear-view camera, etc. Getting the gaskets back on the hole was a little more difficult, like i said, since it's a little different than Honda's.

But once that part was done, I ran the wires down the driver side. Tucked the wires behind the panels to the front driver's side. Again, i tucked the rear cam wire beneath the side curtain airbag.

That's all for now. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to upload pics and more details.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice!

Blackboxmycar delivery came today. All the cameras are here. Now just need the time to install and locate the backup batteries. Double the install fun!

Attachments

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
77 Posts
Blackvue DR900S-2CH dashcam fully installed with PMP hardwire into the fuse box.

I used the fuse box below the driver's steering column. I tapped the yellow (constant hot) into Key SW A with 7.5amp fuse. The red (switched hot) tapped into the 20amp Cigar/12v outlet fuse. Ground wire attached to a nut on the right side of the fuse.

Wires bundled together using a bunch of zip ties.

Works great! Love the quality of the DR900S; much higher/better resolution than my DR750S setup in our minivan.

Photos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TNsEUBKy4xqfa5Gx5

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blackvue DR900S-2CH dashcam fully installed with PMP hardwire into the fuse box.

I used the fuse box below the driver's steering column. I tapped the yellow (constant hot) into Key SW A with 7.5amp fuse. The red (switched hot) tapped into the 20amp Cigar/12v outlet fuse. Ground wire attached to a nut on the right side of the fuse.

Wires bundled together using a bunch of zip ties.

Works great! Love the quality of the DR900S; much higher/better resolution than my DR750S setup in our minivan.

Photos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TNsEUBKy4xqfa5Gx5
Nicely done! Which route did you take for the wire from the main camera to the rear?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts