Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to add new vehicle ( Ascent ) to my insurance before I pickup ?

·
Administrator
12,163 Posts
I would. And, as @Subiesailor said, set it up the day before. Some insurance companies will not start your insurance until 12:01am the very next morning after your call.

Since it's a new car, others may do it on the spot.

Regardless, not just did ones like Geico require me to do it the day before, but they also wanted proof the car was brand new (sales order with mileage and a picture of the window sticker), or pics showing it was brand new, inside and out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the VIN already and basically did a quote with Geico with the new VIN online with all the details and coverage I wanted. All I had to do was to do a quick call to geico on day of pick up for confirmation and to give the lien company info/address and Geico emailed the insurance coverage info over. The quote is usually good for 30 days.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
We were covered by our existing insurance for a certain period of time - that is, of course, assuming you had insurance on another vehicle before purchasing the Ascent. You can call your insurance agent after you purchase the vehicle. The dealer will need proof of insurance at the time of purchase, even if it is on the car you traded or another car on your policy.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Personally I would make sure you have seen the exact car, driven it, walked around etc. If it happens to have a teeny tiny, itsy, bitsy scuff that sends you flying through the wall and questioning the whole honor and integrity of the brand known as Subaru of America... and you don't buy that exact car, its kind of a hassle to call them up and remove it.

Every state is different, but most insurance companies are required to cover you on anything you buy for a certain amount of days if you already have a full coverage policy with them.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm sure it's a state by state thing. I've always been told, new or used, you're covered from the moment you sign the papers.
You typically have at least a 10 day grace period to get insurance, but that varies by state, and can be up to 30 days. What I do is when I get a VIN for an order car, I let them know what it is so they can tell their insurance company in advance and/or shop rates. And, of course, that presumes you HAVE valid insurance. Here in Oklahoma, we cannot sell you a car without you having valid insurance.

·
Administrator
12,163 Posts
It DRASTICALLY differs per state. In New York State, NJ and a few others on this coast alone, they will not even issue registration or transfer plates unless you can show proof of active insurance, and driving before then means if you get caught, they can impound your car and arrest you. There is zero day grace in those states and numerous others.

In Virginia, you can can pay a civil penalty and not get insurance and get plates. In a few of the states between there and here, you can get transport plates to take it home until you get insurance and registration, but while that's ridiculously easy in some, in other states, getting insurance and registration is easier.

And on and on and on.

In virtually all states, Chase will want proof of insurance before you put the car on the road, unless you live in a state or have a dealership that covers you transporting the car under their insurance.

Your insurance must match or exceed your bank's coverage requirements, otherwise they can consider it inadequately insured and take it for that too. So, if you have existing coverage on another vehicle that can carry over during a grace period, that may still not be adequate for Chase or your bank of choice.

Way back in the day, when I worked in auto finance repo and collections departments, if we caught you driving OUR car without insurance or while under insured, we'd repossess it in virtually every state we operated in. Because I can assure you, the bank thinks it is their car.

So, as I said, you really need to check and be sure. Check with your local dealership sales person and finance person, or with your state's motor vehicle department and Chase (or your bank).

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
For me, I had to show my current car had insurance. I think I had 3 days (possibly longer) to report my car to my insurance agent. I bought my car on Saturday and sent an email to my agent on Sunday with the VIN. Received an acknowledgement on Tuesday. No issues. They cover the new car with the same coverage my old car had. So if your old car only had comprehensive, the new car would be the same if you don't notify them ahead of time. Since my trade-in car had full coverage, so did my Ascent from the moment of purchase.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
932 Posts
I went through Subaru Motors Financial (Chase) for my Outback, and they wanted proof of insurance. A quick phone call to NJM (make sure your insurance company is open if you don't do it ahead of time!) and they e-mailed me a temporary ID card with the VIN number on there. I had to do it the day of sale because I bought my Outback off the lot and I didn't expect to make a purchase that day. I was able to show the financier/sales rep the information/declarations page they sent me and I was good to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm going to pick up my Ascent in an hour and have insurance already lined up with VIN.

I'm picturing myself going basaltic over a paint ship in bumper etc. You made me laugh though, and I wont do that even if it isn't flawless. I got a good deal and its a nice product. I know SOA stands behind us.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm going to pick up my Ascent in an hour and have insurance already lined up with VIN.

I'm picturing myself going basaltic over a paint ship in bumper etc. You made me laugh though, and I wont do that even if it isn't flawless. I got a good deal and its a nice product. I know SOA stands behind us.
It's better if you inspect it closely and resolve any issues BEFORE you sign the papers. IMHO dealer "we-owes" are much more difficult to enforce than one would think because of the multitude of unscrupulous dealers in existence. I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe that had a scratch on the black plastic trim near the bumper. They offered to re-finish it. Turned out the re-finish was more of an experiment and they had to replace it, but the replacement never fit properly. I sold the car not soon thereafter.

Hope you have a great buying experience!! The Ascent is a nice SUV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do I need to add new vehicle ( Ascent ) to my insurance before I pickup ?
The answer may be "it depends." For example, USAA provides a grace period "...your auto policy automatically extends the same physical damage and liability coverage(s) afforded to your other vehicles. However, this automatic coverage becomes void after 30 days and coverage would begin effective the day after receiving the notification..." And only as a guess, perhaps different States have different requirements.

But the prudent thing would be to get it before you drive out of the parking lot.

Need to call your insurance provider to get the correct answer.

·
Registered
24 Posts

It's better if you inspect it closely and resolve any issues BEFORE you sign the papers. IMHO dealer "we-owes" are much more difficult to enforce than one would think because of the multitude of unscrupulous dealers in existence. I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe that had a scratch on the black plastic trim near the bumper. They offered to re-finish it. Turned out the re-finish was more of an experiment and they had to replace it, but the replacement never fit properly. I sold the car not soon thereafter.

Hope you have a great buying experience!! The Ascent is a nice SUV.
Agree 100%. I was very specific about what I expected in the delivery process. Unit looks great.

·
Administrator
12,163 Posts
If you are financing, you MUST insure your car before pickup.

Folks, again, unless you're NOT financing, IT DOES NOT DEPEND. If you are financing through Chase (and most other banks in the country), you are required to carry insurance before you even pick up the car, and it must include comprehensive and collision. So, unless your dealer is insuring your car for a grace period, you MUST carry suitable insurance and coverage limits. Even if your current policy allows carry-over insurance to a new purchase during a grace period, you still need to make sure it meets the bank's requirements.

If you are NOT financing, then it is determined by your state's laws, which are different state to state.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.