Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Active OBD, an app long used on Android to view more details on Subaru vehicles with an OBD-II scan tool is finally released and available for iOS. The most important thing is that it shows the CVT temperature, which is a much requested feature for those who are towing.

The app currently only supports WiFi adapters, but the developer says Bluetooth is coming.

Also, the app says that it does not support “cheap WiFi ELM327 2.1 clones”. In my case a cheap WiFi clone got me all the data I needed. YMMV.

I was able to verify the accuracy of the engine oil temp, RPM, Speed and throttle. The transmission was very cold when I took the following screenshot. It seems to be right, but I have no way to independently verify. The screenshot was captured before I purchased the iAP of $14.99 to enable “extra features”.

Link to app: ‎ActiveOBD

If this is something you are interested in, please join me in downloading the app, leaving a review, and purchasing the iAP to support the developer. I did not need any features in the in app purchase, but want to ensure that the developer sticks with this project.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
OMG I would pay him to update the Android app to look like that. And... I already paid him once. ;)

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
I purchased the android version a few years ago. Can you access the CVT Temperature without having to pay for it again?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I think my device may be BT only...I'll have to check on that as I don't recall and haven't used it with the Ascent.

Reactions: richie510

·
Registered
82 Posts
Active OBD, an app long used on Android to view more details on Subaru vehicles with an OBD-II scan tool is finally released and available for iOS. The most important thing is that it shows the CVT temperature, which is a much requested feature for those who are towing.

The app currently only supports WiFi adapters, but the developer says Bluetooth is coming.

Also, the app says that it does not support “cheap WiFi ELM327 2.1 clones”. In my case a cheap WiFi clone got me all the data I needed. YMMV.

I was able to verify the accuracy of the engine oil temp, RPM, Speed and throttle. The transmission was very cold when I took the following screenshot. It seems to be right, but I have no way to independently verify. The screenshot was captured before I purchased the iAP of $14.99 to enable “extra features”.

Link to app: ‎ActiveOBD

If this is something you are interested in, please join me in downloading the app, leaving a review, and purchasing the iAP to support the developer. I did not need any features in the in app purchase, but want to ensure that the developer sticks with this project.

View attachment 5569

·
Registered
82 Posts
You said "In my case a cheap WiFi clone got me all the data I needed. YMMV." What ELM327 clone are you using? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You said "In my case a cheap WiFi clone got me all the data I needed. YMMV." What ELM327 clone are you using? Thanks
I purchased this adapter from Amazon in August of 2014. The seller now has a picture of a screen protector in its place. Here are the details from my email order:

Shipment Details
LYL® WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC
Sold by Deal Scoop
Condition: New
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
$15.83

also attaching a picture of the adapter. There are no other identifying marks or numbers on my device.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I purchased this adapter from Amazon in August of 2014. The seller now has a picture of a screen protector in its place. Here are the details from my email order:

Shipment Details
LYL® WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC
Sold by Deal Scoop
Condition: New
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
$15.83

also attaching a picture of the adapter. There are no other identifying marks or numbers on my device. View attachment 5571
Richie510, Thanks. I found this at Amazon (Amazon.com: Arrela ELM327 WiFi Wireless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner for iPhone, iPad, iOS PC). It looks just like your OBD scanner and the cost is $21. So if I order this ELM327 scanner and download the ActiveOBD app to my iPhone, I should be good?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richie510, Thanks. I found this at Amazon (Amazon.com: Arrela ELM327 WiFi Wireless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner for iPhone, iPad, iOS PC). It looks just like your OBD scanner and the cost is $21. So if I order this ELM327 scanner and download the ActiveOBD app to my iPhone, I should be good?
I hope so, but no guarantees. I also assume that there are some signals I cannot view because mine is a knockoff.

also... if it doesn’t work, just return it.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
The VGate model actually listed in the app description in the App Store is only $27 on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
1,810 Posts
I’d normally be the one to test this myself but I don’t have a WiFi obd reader so...
When the phone is connected to the reader’s WiFi can you still use the cellular data connection? For instance you’re driving with activeobd connected but you’re also using Google maps on CarPlay, does that still work?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’d normally be the one to test this myself but I don’t have a WiFi obd reader so...
When the phone is connected to the reader’s WiFi can you still use the cellular data connection? For instance you’re driving with activeobd connected but you’re also using Google maps on CarPlay, does that still work?
yes. After connecting to the obd WiFi the iOS device will complain that it cannot connect to the internet through the WiFi. Then you tell it to use cellular when connecting to this network (from a pop up). From then on it will connect to the WiFi on the obd reader while maintaining internet using cellular.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What extra features are available in the iAP?
The only one I can notice right away is that it removes the button to buy the full version...

I'm also hoping that it encourages the developer to stick with his plans to release as version that supports Bluetooth!

Hopefully the developer will disclose more information about what the $15 gets you in a future update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was fast, BLE support was released yesterday. Will be testing soon!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts