Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting that as an industry parts is a growing P&L for the dealership model. Typically there are 5 P&Ls a dealer needs to keep for financial reporting: New cars, used cars, parts/service, and I think 2 others are leasing and cannot remember...weird industry.

Anyway, case in point to accessory pricing: the cargo tray

This is not included in any trim level, but you'd get it if you custom ordered or got certain convenience packages. Otherwise you can buy it from a dealer parts store or online and there should be not labor as it's just insert it in the trunk.

My sales person first thought it was included but mistook the cargo cover (which is) for the tray (which is not). Anyway here's the pricing I got from a few sources:
1. Salesperson - $202
2. Subaru.com build your vehicle - $101
3. Dealer's parts online sale (same dealer as sales) - $71

So obviously it behooves me to buy online #3 and have it ready for pickup there to time with going to pick up the vehicle when ready. But I thought this should be posted so people can see that your dealer's sales person is less likely to offer you the best deal.

* Update *

General Manager called me and he's throwing in the cargo tray now just to keep the good feelings going. Adding that to options package 33 gives me a good Winter weather setup with mud flaps, all weather mats, 3rd row seat back protection, cargo tray, and bumper protector.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,123 Posts
Subaru Parts Warehouse had the lowest online prices and free shipping in April when I accessorized.
spwestore.com

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price EA​
Description​
F551SXC000​
$ 50.02​
Cargo Net
Neatly holds cargo and prevents it from sliding while the vehicle is in motion.
SOA801P040W7​
$ 96.43​
Door Edge Guards CRYSTA.
J501SXC111​
$ 71.47​
Rear Seatback Protector
F411SXC020​
$ 142.29​
Seat Cover - 3rd Row Bench
F411SXC010​
$ 142.29​
Seat Cover - 2nd Row Captain's Chairs
B321SFL000​
$ 28.59​
Wheel Locks - Alloy
Helps to deter theft of wheels and tires.

Order Summary:
6 products , 6 items​
$ 531.09​
Shipping & Handling (Free Shipping)​
$ 0.00​
Total​
$ 531.09​

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Do yourself a solid and shop online as others have mentioned. Shipping < Sales Tax in my state, so it is a no brainer even if the prices were on parity. The smart thing to do is buy all of your accessories at once, not do it the stupid way and make three orders like I did. When I researched, bamwholesaleparts.com had the lowest prices to my door. I have zero affiliation with them.

If the dealer is able to throw in this accessory, you're getting squeezed someplace else, but you seem to know where to look. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
...and of course, sometimes after market items may be superior to factory items. Floor and cargo mats are a good example.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks all! Just need to denote which accessories are DIY/zero labor (e.g., floor mats, cargo tray), vs must bring to a dealer's service to install.

Note that I got a heck of a deal on the car so that was the last accessory that was forgotten so being thrown in is great. Once they tell me it's there (supposedly next Monday or Tuesday) I'll take a late afternoon break and head there.

Cannot wait to talk to their finance person who is expecting financing income but I have a cashier's check to end that right quick.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,123 Posts
Subaru Parts Warehouse had the lowest online prices and free shipping in April when I accessorized.
spwestore.com

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price EA​
Description​
F551SXC000​
$ 50.02​
Cargo Net
Neatly holds cargo and prevents it from sliding while the vehicle is in motion.
SOA801P040W7​
$ 96.43​
Door Edge Guards CRYSTA.
J501SXC111​
$ 71.47​
Rear Seatback Protector
F411SXC020​
$ 142.29​
Seat Cover - 3rd Row Bench
F411SXC010​
$ 142.29​
Seat Cover - 2nd Row Captain's Chairs
B321SFL000​
$ 28.59​
Wheel Locks - Alloy
Helps to deter theft of wheels and tires.

Order Summary:
6 products , 6 items​
$ 531.09​
Shipping & Handling (Free Shipping)​
$ 0.00​
Total​
$ 531.09​
BTW, every item was shipped direct from Subaru in the original Subaru packaging. The online retailer never touched the products.

·
Registered
2020, Ascent Limited CWP, 2010 Legacy Limited SWP, 2013 STI Hatchback PBP
10 Posts
another great place is BAMwholesaleparts.com

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ramsey Subaru (NJ) had slightly lower prices than Parts Warehouse (Branford, CT). I think 3rd row sunshade was 33 cents lower for example so not earth shattering, but I'm picking up my car from Ramsey anyway.

I bagged:

Allow wheel locks
3rd row sunshade
Safety kit (mine is 7 years old)

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Thanks all! Just need to denote which accessories are DIY/zero labor (e.g., floor mats, cargo tray), vs must bring to a dealer's service to install.
Depending on your comfort level, I'm fairly certain nearly everything can be installed "at home".

The only item I required dealer input on was programming the remote engine start, which was done for free. I installed that at the same time as the footwell illumination kit.

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
Still using the cargo tray as an example I found this interesting. 3 different prices depending on which Subaru dealership was selected and their “discount”...
Text Font Line Screenshot
Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel
Text Font Line Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
When I bought the second row seat back protectors recently, Hurlberger in Colorado had the beast price, even after shipping.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Pricing on Subaru parts is a bit interesting. My dealer has a web site with good discounted pricing but will charge a bit for shipping. They will not just let me pick up the parts from them and they will not honor their own internet prices at the dealership. So for parts that are not an immediate need I mail order from the lowest delivered price online dealer. It is a shame that my dealer won’t allow me to support them with my parts business because it becomes cost prohibitive to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
And my dealer will only sell at full retail price. No price matching, no discounting. Heck, when I received a coupon for $X off $150, and was buying a $149.99 accessory, they made me buy a an oil plug washer or something to push it over $150 to use the coupon.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have experienced the same things that @RobertD and @senormano mentioned above. My local Subaru dealer treats "buy at the counter" customers like they are the enemy. Maybe they figure anyone who shops at the store, must not be savvy enough to save money and buy online and they can get away with gouging them.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,123 Posts
I have experienced the same things that @RobertD and @senormano mentioned above. My local Subaru dealer treats "buy at the counter" customers like they are the enemy. Maybe they figure anyone who shops at the store, must not be savvy enough to save money and buy online and they can get away with gouging them.
All dealers treat parts sold at the retail counter the same as the parts sold as included in the repair service tickets, full list price. As a former diy for most repairs it was breathtaking to see how much parts cost in the service department. For planned service like serpentine belt and brakes, I bought the same oem parts online and brought them to the dealer for installation. One Mazda dealer was ok with it, the other refused.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Not sure about "buy at the counter" but since IMHO all SOA dealer websites are ostensibly the same, you can easily find genuine Subaru parts at your dealer's base URL with genuine-subaru-accessories.htm and any sales amounts can be seen and compared to other dealers.

This is why I wish that dealers didn't buy quantities of vehicles from SOA with options packages since those come at full freight while they simultaneously offer discounted parts. Objectively one should shop for a vehicle with the trim they want and the least pre-selected options and then buy at a discount online picked up when they pick up their vehicle there. Sales will kindly at a minimum load the accessories in your car.

Alternatively get the part # from any dealer part's listing and google that as for example on the push button remote starter "Subaru H001SXC001" and in the shopping tab I can see it's as low as $285.78 in Ohio and as high as $369.95 in Connecticut. That's a pretty serious swing of almost 23% which pays for the 5 minutes of online shopping. Shipping comes into play though so best wait until you're buying a few accessories.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
49 Posts
But once you get the push button remote starter, don't you need to find a dealer to activate it? So you're back at square one -- finding a dealer that will play ball. Of course, that's not unique to Subaru. But since I'm new to the brand, I haven't figured everything out like I had with Volvo. (Any recommendations for "good" dealers or independents in Orange County, CA? :) )

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, there is a diagnostic tool (DST-I) they plug into the OBI connector to complete the series of steps to pair the remote starter fobs.

So it's really a two-step process for that particular SKU: 1) obtain at lowest price 2) get installed at lowest price

At least we can shop nationally for the fobs!

Note: most other accessories, by and large, don't take a dealer to install, like door edge guards, cargo tray, floor mats or liners, cup holder insert, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,886 Posts
This is why I wish that dealers didn't buy quantities of vehicles from SOA with options packages since those come at full freight while they simultaneously offer discounted parts.
Just to clarify terminology...with Subaru, "options" are only available from the factory; all the other stuff constitutes "accessories", either a lat carté or in the so-called "popular packages" that often are included from the port and on the sticker. From a dealer point of view, they like the "popular packages" because it's an automatic margin increase on the Invoice that a customer can't say no to in most cases if they are buying off the lot. The solution for folks who want only specific accessories or none is to factory order.

I normally factory order so I get exactly what I want. That's what I did with my Ascent and what I drove previously in multiple iterations. We were actually fortunate this past March when we bought Professor Dr. SWMBO's new Forester Limited that there was one "on the lot" exactly like we wanted with only one thing in the so-called Popular Package that we didn't want which we could live with. (we don't use all-weather mats)

Reactions: Sparkland
1 - 20 of 20 Posts