Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.... thinking I might order my Ascent today - So, what accessories would you recommend I get? My husband wants a clear bra for sure, all weather mats, 2 USB ports on the 3rd row. I am going to purchase the Limited and feel its pretty well loaded for my personal needs. I plan on keeping it at least 5 yrs -

Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance,

·
Registered
357 Posts
floor liners-- instead up mats way nicer
rear bumper cover-- this is something I like
body side molding-- a lot of people like this for door dings
rear seat covers-- if you plan on folding seats down with dirty stuff

I also prefer a professional detailer doing a clear bra on my car, usually do the whole front bumper and hood and that way there is no line and also it will never turn colors, that is just my preference though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I went with the Touring and the following accessories (including rationale for each):

Hitch - (both for bike rack as well some towing - considered doing this install myself but opted not to)
Floor liners - (messy winter in CO, including 3 kids and a dog)
Cargo tray - (similar reason)
Auto-dimming side mirrors w/ approach light - (wanted the auto-dim function since this will be 10-yr road trip car - just thought the approach lights would be cool :))
Body side molding - (tight parking where I live, wanting to reduce door dings (wish the mirrors folded in, but that's another thread...))
Splash guards - (partly to protect from rocks/sand/gravel and partly aesthetic)
Dealer-applied tint to all side windows - (keep out the CO sun and partly aesthetic. side note, I know the back windows already come tinted (privacy glass) but going darker and including front row windows)
Dealer-applied clear-mask - (just included with the car purchase)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I went with the Touring and the following accessories (including rationale for each):

Hitch - (both for bike rack as well some towing - considered doing this install myself but opted not to)
Floor liners - (messy winter in CO, including 3 kids and a dog)
Cargo tray - (similar reason)
Auto-dimming side mirrors w/ approach light - (wanted the auto-dim function since this will be 10-yr road trip car - just thought the approach lights would be cool :))
Body side molding - (tight parking where I live, wanting to reduce door dings (wish the mirrors folded in, but that's another thread...))
Splash guards - (partly to protect from rocks/sand/gravel and partly aesthetic)
Dealer-applied tint to all side windows - (keep out the CO sun and partly aesthetic. side note, I know the back windows already come tinted (privacy glass) but going darker and including front row windows)
Dealer-applied clear-mask - (just included with the car purchase)
Can I ask how much the tint and clear mask cost :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you are going to get a Limited, look at option 23. Adds navigation, moon roof, upgraded display and stereo. Also look into "Popular Package 2". It is basically a grouping of the most common accessories. Your dealer should be able to add these at invoice. Don't forget the tow package too is that is important to you.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance,
Most of my customers just end up getting Popular Package 2 and then adding Rear Seat Back Protectors to it. Trailer hitch if you're hauling something. Body Side Moldings and Door Edge Guards if you're paranoid about parking lot door dings - but I've only had two people do that on the factory order so far.

Tint front roll-ups to match (it's cheap) and TECHNICALLY you're not supposed to put a clear bra on the hood due to the Eyesight system, unless you cover the ENTIRE hood. (And yes, I'm quite serious about that - I know people have done it, but the actual Subaru engineers do not like it because it does increase by some small percentage chance that the Eyesight system may not work properly.)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I ordered Popular Package #2, extra USB ports, 2nd and 3rd row sun shades, trailer hitch, and remote start. I never considered remote start until I saw it was an option. Right now on cold winter days we dash out to warm up the car for the kids. It’ll be nice to start the car from inside the house.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Last two Forester's I have had I added body side molding myself after I purchased them. They come with a templet and if you pay attention to alignment it is easy.

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can I ask how much the tint and clear mask cost :)
$499 for each. Note the tint is to darken all side windows, vs. just tint the front windows to match the already tinted rear windows - could go cheaper here for sure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Last two Forester's I have had I added body side molding myself after I purchased them. They come with a templet and if you pay attention to alignment it is easy.
That's what I plan on doing if I like how they look.
I also saw there is an option now (didn't see it before) for a Front Bumper Under Guard in either chrome or satin silver. Not too expensive, might be something to add later if I like the look.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We did not go clear bra on the outback but I have one on my STI and it was a new car prep per the detailer (wash, clay, and wax), and Clear bra for the FULL front bumper, full hood and the front fenders and I paid about 1300 for it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
$499 for each. Note the tint is to darken all side windows, vs. just tint the front windows to match the already tinted rear windows - could go cheaper here for sure.

man that just seems high or I am spoiled by the guy local to me that tints, also could be that he has done a ton of cars for me. I guess smaller towns do have their upside since I'm sure rent for him and labor is cheaper than what it would be in a bigger city.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I see. Thanks.
Note that the door has to be completely clean first. So if you have a good coat of wax on the door, the tape will NOT stick. (Had that happen with a dealer demo unit that I sold recently - car had been cleaned and waxed since it had nearly 5,000 miles on it, we had to put body side moldings on it for the buyer, and the shop guy didn't notice the wax until AFTER he'd 'cleaned' the door and tried to apply the moldings. 20 minutes later they fell off.)

·
Registered
217 Posts
The instructions for the molding kit include an alcohol wipe and instructions to clean the area before installing. All that is needed is to follow the instructions.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was told informally that the clear bra could be as high as 1400... Not sure on this
Depends on the quality of the clear bra and install. I've seen some full hood clear bras for $600... But I'd never even consider that option. Most charge right around $1500 for the full front of the car. I've seen as much as $2500 for some high quality product and install. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Depends on the quality of the clear bra and install. I've seen some full hood clear bras for $600... But I'd never even consider that option. Most charge right around $1500 for the full front of the car. I've seen as much as $2500 for some high quality product and install.
Yea I would never consider the cheaper ones, the one that I have on the STI is a xpel Ultimate, it is definitely one of the more trusted brands out there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts