Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the cruise control system. Not to debate which mode is better, just discuss each one.

In case anyone doesn’t already know, you can hold down the cruise control button on the steering wheel to activate standard mode. In standard mode it just maintains speed so it won’t maintain a certain distance behind a lead vehicle.

I almost always use ACC. Maybe it’s because it’s default or maybe I actually like it better deep down. My other car has only a conventional mode, but I really enjoy using that on a regular basis also. I think it stems from my pet peeve of people that speed up and slow down incessantly on the road. When I'm in conventional mode I basically play a game of changing lanes and only using the accelerator to stay on cruise control as long as possible. On ACC I find myself trying to do the same thing but sometimes I just settle in behind a slightly slower vehicle. I have to say ACC was priceless on the Blue Ridge Parkway last weekend. It followed the car in front of me even around most of the turns. And when it lost sight in a turn, it would maintain a slower speed anyway due to the turn.
Overall I think the Ascent’s ACC is awesome and I’m glad it has the option to switch to conventional mode also.

What are your thoughts on the system?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I will never buy another car without adaptive cruise control. It's not only a safety feature, it's a stress reliever if you are in bumper-to-bumper or stop and go traffic.

Plus you get that video game graphic on the upper screen when it locks onto the car in front of you. If we only had a button to launch something to get that car in front of us out of the way!!! .....Maybe on the 2021 model :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
This is my first time to have ACC and I love it. I find it to be handy in the stop and go traffic. I turn it on and I can relax a little - still have to be on the alert for cars darting in and out. On our vacation we would find ourselves getting in behind someone and slowing down without us noticing and sooner or later we realize we are going slow and pass. The slowing down without noticing actually improves gas mileage so its not all bad.

When I take another car I am now annoyed with regular CC and start missing my Ascent.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Volvo had distance-sensing cruise control and I chose the Ascent specifically for this feature. It was a total must-have, and only Volvo's flagging reliability and higher costs vs. Subaru's affordability and reliability pushed me out of another Volvo, where I could have gotten both ACC and lane centering, as well as the best seats in the car industry. But I would have paid new-Ascent prices for a used Volvo, and gotten stuck with much higher long-term maintenance and reliability issues.

My only gripe with ACC isn't really a gripe, but how you can get lulled into sticking behind a slower car because you're not really aware that they're slowing you down. This used to happen to me on long trips in the Volvo. I'd have cruise set at a tad over the limit and then wonder why I'm going under the limit, only to realize the car in front me had slowed. With standard cruise you would have paid more attention and gotten closer to the other car, realizing earlier they should be passed.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well put. The relaxation with ACC more often than not will outweigh the desire to maintain an exact speed. I have mine set to eco so I usually use the accelerator some to make a pass if there’s traffic
My only gripe with ACC isn't really a gripe, but how you can get lulled into sticking behind a slower car because you're not really aware that they're slowing you down. This used to happen to me on long trips in the Volvo. I'd have cruise set at a tad over the limit and then wonder why I'm going under the limit, only to realize the car in front me had slowed. With standard cruise you would have paid more attention and gotten closer to the other car, realizing earlier they should be passed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is there an indication of when you are in ACC mode vs regular CC mode? I love having both modes. It was scary the first few times using ACC and giving the control to the Ascent to do the braking. The green light helped relieve some of the hesitation of using ACC knowing the Ascent "sees" the car in front. The scariest was allowing the Ascent to come to full stop and resuming in stop and go traffic. Currently I have my following distance set to the max until my confidence grows more in ACC.

·
Registered
334 Posts
After trying ACC in my '15 Outback, I knew I could never go back to conventional. I put a lot of mileage on my car (24K in 1 year on my Ascent) and the ACC makes all those miles more enjoyable. Yes, you can sometimes get lulled into going slower behind another car but the advantages of not having to turn on/off/brake/accelerate with conventional if there is any significant traffic is worth a ton to me. ACC is a top feature pick for me.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
814 Posts
My wife has never used Cruise Control on any of our vehicles, she wants to "drive" every mile herself. Not me, I love it! I don't remember my '84 Subaru having Cruise, but all the cars and trucks since then have and I've always used it, even locally on fairly short highway stretches.

Before ACC, I was always fiddling with the cruise speed setting as traffic would ebb and flow. Now, having adaptive cruise on the Ascent is like having dessert!

I do still adjust the following distance to the closest setting when there is light traffic so that I notice I'm coming up on a vehicle and can pull over to pass before the ACC slows down. In heavier traffic, I adjust the following distance based on how fast we are moving and the density of traffic.

Around here I have the acceleration profile set to Comfort but going cross country around big cities I bumped it up to Normal.

I don't like the Lead Vehicle Acquisition beep and turned that off day 1. I also dismiss the Eyesight screen to see my Favorites on the MFD, unless there is someone new to Subaru in the car, it seems to fascinate them for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there an indication of when you are in ACC mode vs regular CC mode?
Yes. The indicator on your dash is different when it’s in conventional mode. It has a white filled in background. Try holding the button to activate it and you’ll see the difference.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I've been using ACC for almost 8 years now...and like another poster, wouldn't have a vehicle that didn't have ACC.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also dismiss the Eyesight screen to see my Favorites on the MFD
That Eyesight screen on the MFD is....in need of improvement. One, I wish there was a way to not have it take over the MFD. And two, well, I would mind less if it had more useful info on it. I gotta believe Eyesight can track the actual distance of the vehicle in front of me -- the cameras are stereoscopic, and the actual distance is probably necessary for the physics math involved in knowing when to slow down/front end collision avoidance, so maybe show me how far the car ahead actually is.

Basically I find it about as useful as the animation on my microwave when cooking popcorn.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I didn't think I'd like ACC but I do use it when traffic is heavier and there's no point in lane changing most of the time, so I just let the car follow. That allows me more time to check traffic and mirrors to make sure nobody else is doing anything stupid.

My fiancee has a Tesla 3. We got the stripped down model, so it doesn't even have ACC (it's quite affordable that way). For all the other bells and whistles the T3 has, I do miss the ACC!

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
143 Posts
tl;dr: I like (not love) ACC on 2-lane country highways. I loathe it on the freeway.

When we drive up to Northern Michigan (AKA: Resortville, USA) it's on 2-lane highways that are clogged with lollygagging tourist slowpokes. There is no way to pass. I'll just set the ACC for a couple of MPH higher than traffic and let it hold a following distance. I didn't think I'd like that, but I tried it, and I do. I hate, though, when someone puts on a blinker and moves off to the shoulder, but not fast enough for Eyesight and it slams on the brakes, waking up all the kids, even though there's no danger of us rear-ending someone.

On the expressway, though, I like to set the cruise, come up behind a slowpoke, check my mirror and blind spot, and then smoothly merge and pass -- no loss of speed or efficiency. With the ACC it's: come up behind a slowpoke...slow down while still wayyy behind them, check the left lane and find it full of people now going much faster than me...wait for them...accelerate and pass, spending much more time in the left lane than I'd like.

So I use the ACC somewhat, but not on expressways.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have tried ACC in another vehicle but I really love the way it works in the Ascent. The green light saying it is locked works really well as a visual signal and the screen showing distance so you know it is seeing the right car is a nice touch.

Also having ACC has really helped me slow down a bit on long drives as I tend to be a lead foot driver. I put it on ACC and follow someone instead of always trying to get one more car ahead.

I will admit I still hover my foot over the brake just in case even after 100s of miles driving with it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the cruise control system. Not to debate which mode is better, just discuss each one.

In case anyone doesn’t already know, you can hold down the cruise control button on the steering wheel to activate standard mode. In standard mode it just maintains speed so it won’t maintain a certain distance behind a lead vehicle.

I almost always use ACC. Maybe it’s because it’s default or maybe I actually like it better deep down. My other car has only a conventional mode, but I really enjoy using that on a regular basis also. I think it stems from my pet peeve of people that speed up and slow down incessantly on the road. When I'm in conventional mode I basically play a game of changing lanes and only using the accelerator to stay on cruise control as long as possible. On ACC I find myself trying to do the same thing but sometimes I just settle in behind a slightly slower vehicle. I have to say ACC was priceless on the Blue Ridge Parkway last weekend. It followed the car in front of me even around most of the turns. And when it lost sight in a turn, it would maintain a slower speed anyway due to the turn.
Overall I think the Ascent’s ACC is awesome and I’m glad it has the option to switch to conventional mode also.

What are your thoughts on the system?

What I don't like is clicking the speed increase/decrease toggle and the speed will only go up or down to speeds ending in 5 or 0. Every car I've ever had pretty much adjusts 1 mph with every click. This enables you to "drive" the car with your cruise control. To decrease/decrease Ascent speed 1 mph you have to hold the toggle and release it when you visually see the speed adjust 1mph. This is about 2 seconds of holding the toggle to increase/decrease 1 mph. This vehicle has the most un user friendly cruise control I've ever had. Too much time with your eyes off the road. Not intuitive, no finger "bumps" or "guides". Takes too long to use without lowering your eyes. This would have been a deal killer for me, my fault, I assumed every manufacturer had cruise control down by now. Ive been spoiled by Honda and Toyota, my first foray into the "other" world.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife has never used Cruise Control on any of our vehicles, she wants to "drive" every mile herself. Not me, I love it! I don't remember my '84 Subaru having Cruise, but all the cars and trucks since then have and I've always used it, even locally on fairly short highway stretches.

Before ACC, I was always fiddling with the cruise speed setting as traffic would ebb and flow. Now, having adaptive cruise on the Ascent is like having dessert!

I do still adjust the following distance to the closest setting when there is light traffic so that I notice I'm coming up on a vehicle and can pull over to pass before the ACC slows down. In heavier traffic, I adjust the following distance based on how fast we are moving and the density of traffic.

Around here I have the acceleration profile set to Comfort but going cross country around big cities I bumped it up to Normal.

I don't like the Lead Vehicle Acquisition beep and turned that off day 1. I also dismiss the Eyesight screen to see my Favorites on the MFD, unless there is someone new to Subaru in the car, it seems to fascinate them for a while.
How do you change the acceleration from Comfort?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts