Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am an aggressive driver. I don't have patience for people driving slowly in the left lane, 2 cars driving side by side not allowing passing, people not stepping on it from traffic lights, entering/merging onto the freeways at like 40, etc! I want to get where I want to get safely but expeditiously.

Well all that is freaking changing now!

I am living off of ACC. I am just a couple of roadtrips into my new car and I am using it for almost everything, haha. I....LOVE...IT!!!! But, I find myself being complacent. I turn on ACC and just monitor life while listening to the radio and remaining calm and sedate in whatever lane that I happen to be in. Traffic? No problem. Slow people? Car slows down for them. I think that this car is prematurely aging me!!! I don't know what to do about this. Should I embrace my new relaxed and happy lifestyle?!?

That and SiriusXM is adding to problem by giving me comedy channels which chew up entire trips without me noticing.

Sheesh. If don't maintain my angry edge I am going to have to adopt a whole new personality!

·
Registered
927 Posts
ACC is great when the road isn't open and "safe" for aggressive driving.

When the road opens up or on the back country roads I take control and have fun (love the torquey engine). Twisty mountain road and loads of torque == FUN!

I love that I can have the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't give up yet! Maybe Subaru will give some options for ACC.

Something like:

Level 1: "Kids in the Car" - Conservative setting. Large following distances with gentle, subtle speed changes
Level 2: "Get Out of My Way" - Shortened following distances. 'Auto-honk' when above average levels of stupidity are detected. Speed changes are more aggressive
Level 3: "The Perfect Storm" - Nobody/Nothing is exempt from the Ascent's wrath!

·
Registered
927 Posts
It pretty much does.

4 levels of "acceleration" for following, from ECO to aggressive.

Then set your follow distance far for "Kids in the car" or close for "The Perfect Storm".

When I move out into an empty lane I can punch the gas to get up to speed, then have ACC take back over. Love it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really is a great feature and IMO was better in the Subaru over the Pilot. My only problem was I was driving without it on and was all like "Why isn't the car stopping for this traffic?" Whoops...hard stop, haha. Same thing with AVH. I've only had the car for a week and I'm already married to these things!

·
Registered
253 Posts
It really is a great feature and IMO was better in the Subaru over the Pilot. My only problem was I was driving without it on and was all like "Why isn't the car stopping for this traffic?" Whoops...hard stop, haha. Same thing with AVH. I've only had the car for a week and I'm already married to these things!
Preach it, fellow Subaru brother! I, too, am an aggressive driver and ACC is a dream come true. I have been focused on using it as frequently as possible so as to reduce my stress while driving... And it is helping so very much. I find I just don't care what speed I am going; let this incredible machine take that worry away.

In addition to this, my stress level was also governed by those driving horribly stinking diesel trucks in front of me causing me to breath their shitty exhaust. Not so in the Ascent because I keep recirc on full time and I breathe only new car smell. LOL!

Lastly, the driver's seat is so insanely comfortable that it is helping with enforcing better posture while sitting, easing my upper spine.

It is quite possible that this is the first car that will actually improve my mental and physical health.

:grin:

·
Registered
253 Posts
It pretty much does.

4 levels of "acceleration" for following, from ECO to aggressive.

Then set your follow distance far for "Kids in the car" or close for "The Perfect Storm".

When I move out into an empty lane I can punch the gas to get up to speed, then have ACC take back over. Love it!
As a side note, I initially didn't like the 5 mph speed increments offered by default (I know you have press-hold to get 1mph increments). I thought it should have been reversed, but I have come around to the 5 mph increments. I find it takes fewer adjustments to get the speed I want. I'd prefer to have the default be user-selectable, but it's fine as is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So, I am an aggressive driver. I don't have patience for people driving slowly in the left lane, 2 cars driving side by side not allowing passing, people not stepping on it from traffic lights, entering/merging onto the freeways at like 40, etc! I want to get where I want to get safely but expeditiously.

Well all that is freaking changing now!

I am living off of ACC. I am just a couple of roadtrips into my new car and I am using it for almost everything, haha. I....LOVE...IT!!!! But, I find myself being complacent. I turn on ACC and just monitor life while listening to the radio and remaining calm and sedate in whatever lane that I happen to be in. Traffic? No problem. Slow people? Car slows down for them. I think that this car is prematurely aging me!!! I don't know what to do about this. Should I embrace my new relaxed and happy lifestyle?!?

That and SiriusXM is adding to problem by giving me comedy channels which chew up entire trips without me noticing.

Sheesh. If don't maintain my angry edge I am going to have to adopt a whole new personality!
Oh no! Is this my future self? I thought it was just me, but apparently not. I totally agree with you! Panther, you're the brother from another mother I didn't know I had. :crying:

·
Registered
11 Posts
acc is perfect except ...

I too can be an agressive (but very safe) driver. Loved my turbo Miata (Corvette killer) and Honda Accord v6 6-speed. And Forester XT. All got you from A to B just by thinking about it and hitting the throttle.

I find ACC great EXCEPT when following and the driver ahead slows down to turn down a side road. I even move and point the Ascent so the nose is no longer pointed at the car ahead but the Ascent brakes and slows way down to avoid a collision that was never going to occur. Not emergency braking but the ACC slowing me down as I attempt to slice off the bumper of the car ahead and keep going.

Easy solution is to disable ACC , get by the driver turning, then re-engage.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
This thread is on point!
'Tunnel traffic' here has always raised my BP in the past. For literally no reason whatsoever people slam on their brakes before entering any one of the various tunnels in the area. Ask anyone about it and they'll deny they're the culprit!
After learning to trust ACC my BP is steady in the tunnels now. It only took 1 trip to work to realize how much I was going to like the Ascent. Maybe I'll even live longer!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Looking forward to ACC. I think the trick is to figure out the follow distance spacing you're comfortable with, and to remember that when there's nobody in front of you and you're approaching "stopped" traffic that you have to brake because it's not going to match speed with a stationary "obstacle"

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
because it's not going to match speed with a stationary "obstacle"
Pro tip: I’m not saying don’t brake...watch for that green light on the HUD, but if you tap ACC down to 20mph it can slow you down enough that it can detect the stopped car. That in conjunction with increasing the following distance will bring you to a smooth stop

I have to practice driving a Kia sometimes to make sure I don’t forget how to drive a normal car!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Reading this thread made me think (and realize) that I may be changing the way I drive now that I have had LKA and ACC for a while. LKA for sure trains you to stay in your lane and always signal. It was really "helpful" for my wife,... haha. She didn't like it at first, but is good with it now.

But ACC has made the biggest diff with me. I used to be quite an aggressive driver, and sometimes the occasional jerk changing lanes just to gain a few car lengths. But with ACC, I just let it do the work, and I find it much more relaxing to drive in heavy traffic, and seem to have lost the constant urge/challenge to get ahead of traffic at every opportunity. That is not to say, I don't change lanes, but less often now, and usually only in the spots where I know certain lanes will be slower.

So I believe that LKA and ACC may have some hidden benefits that people may not have counted on, and may actually make us better drivers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As a side note, I initially didn't like the 5 mph speed increments offered by default (I know you have press-hold to get 1mph increments). I thought it should have been reversed, but I have come around to the 5 mph increments. I find it takes fewer adjustments to get the speed I want. I'd prefer to have the default be user-selectable, but it's fine as is.
My '16 Outback was the opposite. Short pushes were 1mph and long pushes were 5mph.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I find ACC great EXCEPT when following and the driver ahead slows down to turn down a side road. I even move and point the Ascent so the nose is no longer pointed at the car ahead but the Ascent brakes and slows way down to avoid a collision that was never going to occur. Not emergency braking but the ACC slowing me down as I attempt to slice off the bumper of the car ahead and keep going.
My biggest complaint (not really a complaint, more an inconvenience) as well, mainly for cars slowly moving into the exit lane on the highway.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My biggest complaint (not really a complaint, more an inconvenience) as well, mainly for cars slowly moving into the exit lane on the highway.

Yeah, love the ones that brake before signalling and before getting up to and in the turn lanes. Some of the worst are those that will be in the far left or right lane, coming up to an intersection, their heads finally pop out of their butts and realize they want to make a turn to the opposite side of the road. If they are in the left lane, they want to turn right and if they are in the right lane, they want to turn left. They hit their brakes in the middle of the road/intersection, barely look around, might signal, and attempt to kill themselves and others because they screwed up being in the wrong lane. For some reason, they can't seem to admit their mistake and go past the street they wanted to turn down and/or safely make a legal U-turn.

I willing to bet that most of these people are relying solely on their GPS systems to get around town. They are distracted by their latest text message or video and don't catch the GPS telling them to make a turn until the last second. They don't want to hear the GPS system say "re-calculating" after they miss their turns, so they just stop in the middle of the road instead.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope you all don't mind me asking a question about ACC as I seem to not be able to find a definite answer. But since you all use it in traffic, hopefully I can finally be at peace with an answer. So does ACC work in Stop and Go traffic? I hear it does but to an extent; it will stop for you but you have to hit the resume switch to move again. Then I heard it will Go as long as the stop isn't long at all, like under 3 seconds. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts