Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept trying to press the down arrow to back off (move my car down on the screen relative to the lead car) until I realized that I needed to press the up arrow to 'increase the distance'

Up to increase distance makes sense if it was adjusting a number, or if there wasn't a display but it seems odd to me to press the up arrow to slow down/back off, and press the down arrow to move in and be more agressive

·
Registered
253 Posts
I kept trying to press the down arrow to back off (move my car down on the screen relative to the lead car) until I realized that I needed to press the up arrow to 'increase the distance'

Up to increase distance makes sense if it was adjusting a number, or if there wasn't a display but it seems odd to me to press the up arrow to slow down/back off, and press the down arrow to move in and be more agressive
The Toyota system uses a single button that cycles through each step. While freeing up a button for another feature (like mute/pause, which is conspicuously absent in the Ascent) is nice, I am torn as to which approach I like better. Personally, I have found that the maximum follow distance works best for me overall and I rarely change it now. I guess this is an argument for a single button since two buttons are a waste for this particular adjustment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Toyota system uses a single button that cycles through each step. While freeing up a button for another feature (like mute/pause, which is conspicuously absent in the Ascent) is nice, I am torn as to which approach I like better. Personally, I have found that the maximum follow distance works best for me overall and I rarely change it now. I guess this is an argument for a single button since two buttons are a waste for this particular adjustment.
Agreed. They're also really big buttons in prime space for something that you don't need to adjust very often. I'd rather have those buttons adjust the acceleration profile

·
Registered
646 Posts
This and the rain sensing wipers are backwards. The old wipers shows time between wipes so thinner bar = less time. It is now thin = less sensitive = more time. My wife had to look it up while I was driving because it wasn't acting the way I expected.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Think of it as thought you are pushing ("up") or pulling ("down") the car in front of you. Up creates more distance, down creates less.

I get what you are saying, but I think it makes more sense as designed. (Or, this is the first car I've had with this feature, so I adapted easily...)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts