Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ascent 2021 (Limited)

Sharing my own experience:

Issue: AC Condenser is exposed to external elements (road debris). 500 miles on odometer already have to replace it due to damage. Luckily SOA picked up a claim ($1350.00)

I filed a claim as a design issues. I also informed their design department to reduce the size of lower section of the front grille pattern/grid for new models and/ or provide an accessory (condenser guard ) for existing owners.

FYI. If you run into the same damage issue go straight to SOA customer service (in US) they will work with your local dealer….. and hopefully issue a goodwill repair certificate (assuming your subi is under warranty and it’s not your fault) otherwise your local dealer will tell you to contact your own car insurance and file a claim.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
There are multiple threads on putting a mesh insert in the lower fascia to avoid this damage. No disagreement that the design is lacking relative to protection. That said, there is no assurance that SOA will repair something caused by road debris for free, but you can certainly ask.

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
395 Posts
No disagreement that the design is lacking relative to protection.
I never paid much attention to this in the past, but I looked at my 2006 Camry the other day and lo and behold it has a huge opening at the bottom of the fascia that would allow all manner of things in there. After 200,000 miles the condenser certainly shows that to be the case. Thankfully it hasn't taken a fatal hit, and hopefully that doesn't change in the next few weeks as I try to get rid of it!

Bottom line, it's not just a Subaru thing, but it's surprising nonetheless that all cars don't have a screen on the lower fascia cutout.

·
Registered
816 Posts
A lot of makes & models have this opening in the front fascia.Simple mesh will combat the problem against road debris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts