Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
What material is the screen made of?
They are made with a heavy duty expanded metal. The edges are trimmed with vinyl edge trim to protect the car. Some of the earlier pictures show the detail of this. It is cut to fit the grill outline precisely so it won't look like an add-on.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,985 Posts
Is it attached with zip ties?
Yes...it took me about five minutes to install (including the painful getting down on the driveway and back to standing...bad joints) and the ties (that come with it) are virtually invisible once clipped. If you really want to get fancy and don't mind going under the vehicle, I suppose you could do the zip part on the inside make the zip ties even more invisible...

Reactions: Scarlett

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes...it took me about five minutes to install (including the painful getting down on the driveway and back to standing...bad joints) and the ties (that come with it) are virtually invisible once clipped. If you really want to get fancy and don't mind going under the vehicle, I suppose you could do the zip part on the inside make the zip ties even more invisible...
Good thoughts, Jim! The work it takes to put the plastic ties on with the fastener heads behind the screening isn't very likely to be worth it to most folks. If you are a card carrying member of an OCD support group, yes. Otherwise, I recommend that you put them on the easy way, then giving it a week. IF you even remember to look at them at that point, you'll quickly figure out if this is an important next step for you. HTH

BTW, I've been getting a bunch of contacts about the AscentScreen. Undestandably, with many questions. I never mind answering them, but I (Finally!) took some time today to get a website up for this. You can find it at AscentStuff.weebly.com. It will also be linked from my VoltStuff site.

Steve

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a roll of expanded metal just like that made as house gutter guard. Checking around, I find similar stuff in plastic. I'm going to make mine out if plastic, figuring it won't deform as easily as the metal. My Ascent is white, so going with the white gutter guard. I'll post photos once I got it installed.
It in black as well...
Black Expanded Plastic

Discount priced
Cheaper Expanded Plastic
Read reviews. There are different stiffness, hole size, durability, etc.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
he work it takes to put the plastic ties on with the fastener heads behind the screening isn't very likely to be worth it to most folks. If you are a card carrying member of an OCD support group, yes.
I do believe I have that card...but I don't have the desire to lie on my back on the cold asphalt to get under the front bumper enough to pull that card out. Besides...the clipped ties are virtually "not there" visually unless one gets up close and looks for them. :D

Reactions: Scarlett

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I'm going to make mine out if plastic,
Will the plastic mesh have as much "stopping power" as the metal mesh? I was surprised how flexible the metal mesh is on the unit I received and installed as mentioned above.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My order for an AscentScreen was placed. Looking forward to installing it. Just pondering if I want to paint the trim surrounding the mesh with maybe some red like on the '20 Forester Sport.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Will the plastic mesh have as much "stopping power" as the metal mesh? I was surprised how flexible the metal mesh is on the unit I received and installed as mentioned above.
I think I will give enough to absorb impacts and bounce back. Metal will deform where plastic won't. The whole front, and rear for that matter, are flexible plastic after all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My order for an AscentScreen was placed. Looking forward to installing it. Just pondering if I want to paint the trim surrounding the mesh with maybe some red like on the '20 Forester Sport.
I recommend installing it as is first. Take a week or two to decide if it looks ok as it, of if you want to do something custom with it. A red edge on it might look cool.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The plastic is more flexible, but likely sufficient for most reasonably foreseeable concerns. As with anything, there are advantages and disadvantages.... In speaking to customers for a number of years, virtually ALL prefer the metal screening version, so we make them with metal. The plastic screening version is actually harder to make in a couple of ways. HTH

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a roll of expanded metal just like that made as house gutter guard. Checking around, I find similar stuff in plastic. I'm going to make mine out if plastic, figuring it won't deform as easily as the metal. My Ascent is white, so going with the white gutter guard. I'll post photos once I got it installed.
It in black as well...
Black Expanded Plastic

Discount priced
Cheaper Expanded Plastic
Read reviews. There are different stiffness, hole size, durability, etc.
Do you know if they sell these in white? I'm searching and only found black

·
Registered
351 Posts
Do you know if they sell these in white? I'm searching and only found black
I found them locally at my home Depot in white. They are in 8 ft lengths with solid edging. I used one on my camper/RV between the truck cab and the camper to keep bugs from smashing against the camper. Turned out it kept bugs from hitting hard enough to stick and improved mpg by 10 percent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found them locally at my home Depot in white. They are in 8 ft lengths with solid edging. I used one on my camper/RV between the truck cab and the camper to keep bugs from smashing against the camper. Turned out it kept bugs from hitting hard enough to stick and improved mpg by 10 percent.
Ok thanks I will check. I am also planning on using this to place in the gap between my vinyl fence to the sidewalk to stop all the leaves from entering my yard.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
359 Posts
I'm not a fan of discovery learning when there are others who've already figured something out. Would you please share how you did this? I'm looking at the zip ties and am trying to determine the best method (actually any method) to get the zip ties on. Thanks ahead of time for any tips you can provide.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you bend the plastic tie a bit before putting it in, it will be easier to grab and fish back out. Just insert the plastic tie through a hole close to one of the grill slats, move the screen away and reach in the grill with your fingers. Grab the end of it and thread it back out, going around the grill slat and back through a hole in the screen that is very close to where it went in. Loosely fasten the plastic tie, then go back to do the rest of them. It gets a little harder as you go, but if you leave them loose, it isn't too bad.

The plastic ties only need to be snug, don't tighten them any more than you need to hold them in place. As you start to tighten them, position the AscentScreen in place , then work each tie a bit at a time rather than all at once.

Once you get the hang of it, the whole thing will seem easy and intuitive. And you'll be an expert, just like that!

Pro Tip: If you come back out an inch or two away, you can bend the screen a bit when you fasten them, and this could warp or deform the screen a bit. Go in one hole with the plastic tie, and out one or two holes away.

HTH,

Steve

21 - 40 of 77 Posts