Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2020 Subaru Ascent on Black Friday. I noticed that the front bumper lower grille is wide open on this car and may leave the AC condenser vulnerable to rock/debris damage. I have experienced this once already on my 2007 Toyota Prius a few years ago where a rock hit my condenser and all the refrigerant leaked out. It cost $700 at the time to fix it.

I have the same potential issue on my 2019 Toyota RAV4. Through the RAV4 owners forum, I was able to find a guy who makes a custom screen to protect the lower front grille. See image of what it looks like on the Rav4:

I asked him if he could make one for the Ascent. He is working on it. Here is a photo of him at the Subaru dealership making a template below. He said it will cost around $36. I'll post photos after I receive it in the mail and installed. I'm not sure how thick the condenser material is on the Subaru, but I figured for $36, its cheap enough to not take the chance. I can share the screen guy's contact later when I figure out how to share his website link on a post.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Let me know when it's ready. I need a heavy duty one for my Ascent Adventures.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is ready, Robert.Mauro. I am the maker of the grill screens that KaisDad referred to. The final fitting was great and I shipped that one off to KaisDad in today's mail. I'm sure he will post pictures when he gets it. I made a few more once I knew the fit was fine, so I can get one on the way to you whenever you are ready.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is ready, Robert.Mauro. I am the maker of the grill screens that KaisDad referred to. The final fitting was great and I shipped that one off to KaisDad in today's mail. I'm sure he will post pictures when he gets it. I made a few more once I knew the fit was fine, so I can get one on the way to you whenever you are ready.

Steve
I’ll try to post pictures as soon as I can. Might be tough with a busy week this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received the screen in the mail today. Below is a picture of the package, before install, in the middle of install with the zip ties 50% in, and post install. Steve did a really good job with the fitment on this one. A whole lot better than the RAV4 I have.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
Paycheck just hit today, and I'm ordering mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm glad you like your AscentScreen, kaisdad! Great pics of the install. The RAV4Sceen is quite a bit narrower, and has much tighter corners, making it exponentially harder to get the shape and corners "Perfect." The Ascent has a great shape for the grill, and it is recessed more, making the fit easier and it better looking as it tends to hide more. Regardless, drive with confidence now! If anything gets thorough that AscentScreen, you'll need a lot more than just a radiator.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad you like your AscentScreen, kaisdad! Great pics of the install. The RAV4Sceen is quite a bit narrower, and has much tighter corners, making it exponentially harder to get the shape and corners "Perfect." The Ascent has a great shape for the grill, and it is recessed more, making the fit easier and it better looking as it tends to hide more. Regardless, drive with confidence now! If anything gets thorough that AscentScreen, you'll need a lot more than just a radiator.

Steve
Thanks for making it!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure but I’ll follow up after a trip to Tahoe soon hopefully.
Snow should not be an issue. I've run VoltScreens on my Volts for 5 winters with no issues at all. I've sold thousands of them to Volt owners, Honda Clarity owners, any others. Never had a complaint about snow being an issue of any sort. HTH!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,985 Posts
I just placed my order and look forward to adding this particular accessory to my Ascent. It can't hurt to have it with all the debris that is sometime on the road.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Installed...just in time for another little excursion to Florida...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts