Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually dont know if this is directly related to the Starlink Remote start or just coincidence? Every time I use the app to remote start, the AC is always ON? Even if i bump up the temp to the high 70's, and its cold up here in NewEngland. I have read thru the manual, I did see something about last used settings, but I always turn the AC button OFF when I enter the car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’m in the same boat. AC always on even though it’s not an option to turn on/off.

This is the same for my wife’s 19 Forester as well... also, the 19 forester has controls for fan speed as well as where you want the air blowing too which the Ascent doesn’t have. Surprised in a matter of 2 months between releases the app seems more supportive of the Forester. Only thing the forester doesn’t have is the heated seats because they are switches instead of an electronic button on the Forester.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I’m in the same boat. AC always on even though it’s not an option to turn on/off.

This is the same for my wife’s 19 Forester as well... also, the 19 forester has controls for fan speed as well as where you want the air blowing too which the Ascent doesn’t have. Surprised in a matter of 2 months between releases the app seems more supportive of the Forester. Only thing the forester doesn’t have is the heated seats because they are switches instead of an electronic button on the Forester.
I just subscribed to Starlink Security (if that's what it's called - their names are confusing to me - everything is "Starlink...") for $70 for three years to match the free Starlink Safety suite. I tried the remote start and it actually does have fan speed and direction, etc.

Also when in auto mode and the A/C light is on despite setting the temp higher than ambient, I think that light is more of a "standby" indicator than an indicator that the compressor is engaged.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts

In the My Subaru app if you change the Climate Settings to Manual you will see the air flow, fan speed etc. Looks like the app defaults to Automatic climate settings.

Just checked and my A/C button was lit after the remote start but it was blowing warm air.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In the My Subaru app if you change the Climate Settings to Manual you will see the air flow, fan speed etc. Looks like the app defaults to Automatic climate settings.

Just checked and my A/C button was lit after the remote start but it was blowing warm air.
Good call! Thanks

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
AC will activate in auto mode when the car thinks there's a reason to deal with humidity. It seems to do that a lot when it's colder outside and one is turning on a heat related function in auto mode, including and often especially the defroster.

The AC setting being on is not indicative of the temperature the car is trying to get the cabin to.

·
Registered
597 Posts
AC will activate in auto mode when the car thinks there's a reason to deal with humidity. It seems to do that a lot when it's colder outside and one is turning on a heat related function in auto mode, including and often especially the defroster.

The AC setting being on is not indicative of the temperature the car is trying to get the cabin to.
Robert is correct on why the AC is running. While I'm not fully sure how Subaru does determines if the AC should be on but a lot will turn it on with anything above 40 degrees. Just be glad Subaru lets you know as some manufacturers will turn on the AC and not let you know and you can't turn it off unless the temp drops below a certain point.

I know in my Xterra if I turned on the windshield air vents the AC turned on without the light and you couldn't turn it off manually but instead had to shut the car off and turn the vents to a different setting before turning the car back on.

Now with the temps being in the 30s here with full auto I'm noticing the AC is turning on but I'm not worried about it as at least I can turn it off if I want to!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ascent Touring - Same Issue

:dunno:
You would thing that calling for 77 degrees with seat heaters on high, something should tell the AC to kick off.
My wife is not pleased...

·
Registered
646 Posts
You would thing that calling for 77 degrees with seat heaters on high, something should tell the AC to kick off.
Does it blow cold air or does it blow warm air? The light being on does not mean the compressor is running.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
920 Posts
The AC isn't just used for cooling, it's also used for removing humidity. The AC turns on when defrosting, even when blowing warmish air, because it helps take the moisture out of the air to prevent the fog. I imagine it's doing the same thing for the heater..... giving you warm dry air instead of warm moist air.

I'm going to have to let mine run in full auto again and see how it does. Always bugged me when the A/C light came on, but now that I understand it, will have to give it another go! :D

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
266 Posts
The AC isn't just used for cooling, it's also used for removing humidity. The AC turns on when defrosting, even when blowing warmish air, because it helps take the moisture out of the air to prevent the fog.

This is spot on. It happens more in areas where the weather is humid and a few degrees colder than inside your vehicle (not so much when it's extremely cold).
If you pump humid air into the vehicle your windshield will fog quickly. Air loaded with humidity touches the cold windshield, lowers its temperature and with that goes its ability to retain the moisture, so it condensates all over your windshield. This can be mitigated with antifog products (like Rain-X, etc) to a point.

It happens here all the time: weather feels nice, it's in the 60's outside (but very humid), you decide to drive with the windows open but just a little bit because of noise, and you blow the fan off the upper vents directly to the windshield. Within seconds you start fighting with the fog until you give up, close the windows and run the AC in auto.

The compressor will only kick in when needed, the light is on all the time but the control is automatic. If it bothers you too much, turn the AC off manually and make sure you carry a dry cloth to manually remove the fog from your windshield every 30 seconds. As an alternative, you can put black electric tape over the AC LED and just eliminate the anxiety effect while you let the system manage your humidity the right way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I actually dont know if this is directly related to the Starlink Remote start or just coincidence? Every time I use the app to remote start, the AC is always ON? Even if i bump up the temp to the high 70's, and its cold up here in NewEngland. I have read thru the manual, I did see something about last used settings, but I always turn the AC button OFF when I enter the car.
I am finding this annoying as well. I remote start using the app to warm-up the engine and want the AC and radio to be off. Couldn't find a way to do so. How hard would it be to add an option to switch them both off? When someone is remote starting and isn't in the car, what would be the point of switching on the radio? It isn't a tube based unit, is it? :tango_face_wink:

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I am finding this annoying as well. I remote start using the app to warm-up the engine and want the AC and radio to be off. Couldn't find a way to do so. How hard would it be to add an option to switch them both off? When someone is remote starting and isn't in the car, what would be the point of switching on the radio? It isn't a tube based unit, is it? :tango_face_wink:
I tune the radio to XM station 0. As for the AC, I set the AC off and then let the car do what it wants, otherwise I end up coming out to foggy interior and moisture and such.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It isn't a tube based unit, is it? :tango_face_wink:
Wouldn't that be something? I've seen tube-based car audio before. Obvously a niche market but it existed once upon a time. I fell in love with tubes as a young guitar player. The only tubes I have now that get any excercise are in my headphone amp, and it's not as pure as a real analog tube pre/power circuit. Guitar amps sit in the man cave mocking me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I have a 2019 Forester and I have the same situation did you ever find a solution or reason why this happens?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've emailed Subaru for confirmation to see if there was a way to not have the climate controls turned on when using the remote start via Starlink. Doesnt seem like it's possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.