Subaru Ascent Forum banner

A word to Subaru - better keep our AM tuner

2036 Views 58 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  xydadx3
I for one will not be a happy camper if Subaru decides to eliminate AM in their future headset units. Listen up Subaru.
Home appliance Rectangle Font Radio Auto part
See less See more
Reactions: 1
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
I use Google Podcasts and Google News now, and just have them cache stuff for me, which I listen to when out of range of a signal. Pretty much all the major AM Talk Radio shows are covered in the lineups, as well as many more of all sorts.
While I don't think sat audio is going away from vehicles any time soon, I can certainly see the decline in subscribers. I don't miss our Sirius subscription at all.

Also, people have been going back to OTA TV more than what people probably think. The quality of OTA broadcast TV beats anything you receive via your local cable provider or streaming service.
Reactions: 2
The quality of OTA broadcast TV beats anything you receive via your local cable provider or streaming service.
and when your football team is playing you can still watch for free, IF its being broadcast in your area 🤣
also funny, broadcast tv is at least a few seconds ahead of the streaming services...spoilers can be well timed!
You can only hope for streaming to lag just a couple seconds. Typically it is much greater than that, especially for locals.
for those interested in letting their opinion known you can do so through this link. Personally I changed the proposed language to fit my own experience and preferences (the porposed language clearly comes from one perspective). You can certainly do the same regardless of your stand. The link will provide a mechanism to the communication to be sent to your Federal legislators. I have also emailed SOA.
Also, people have been going back to OTA TV more than what people probably think. The quality of OTA broadcast TV beats anything you receive via your local cable provider or streaming service.
True, folks in areas where they can get OTA are leveraging it to get away from high "cable" (and equivalent) costs for media. OTA TV is all digital now and with many stations having subchannels, the variety of material available is a lot more like "cable" type experience, but obviously minus the special movie and sports channels.

I view the likely coming "death" of AM radio as similar to the "death" of analog TV. The same stuff will be available, but on FM/FM-HD/Sat/streaming. And again, the one challenge is migrating certain "public service" material in and around parks and along highways to different technology.
True, folks in areas where they can get OTA are leveraging it to get away from high "cable" (and equivalent) costs for media. OTA TV is all digital now and with many stations having subchannels, the variety of material available is a lot more like "cable" type experience, but obviously minus the special movie and sports channels.

I view the likely coming "death" of AM radio as similar to the "death" of analog TV. The same stuff will be available, but on FM/FM-HD/Sat/streaming. And again, the one challenge is migrating certain "public service" material in and around parks and along highways to different technology.
they would have to figure out how to provide a signal over long distances. so far they have yet to figure that out without expensive frequent repeaters everywhere.
they would have to figure out how to provide a signal over long distances. so far they have yet to figure that out without expensive frequent repeaters everywhere.
I'm sure that if it's important, it will get done in some way.
I'm sure that if it's important, it will get done in some way.
The Wall Street Journal reported in late February that seven former FEMA administrators wrote to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and several congressional committees asking for the government to seek assurances from automakers that AM radio will remain a feature in vehicles.

A Pew Research Center survey last fall found that nearly 50% of US adults get their news from radio and about 47 million Americans still listen to AM radio regularly, which represents about 20% of the radio-listening public.
Talk radio is on AM like news was on broadcast TV
Broadcast TV went south because of streaming and AM will suffer the same fate.
I don’t intend to sound harsh, but an automaker can’t keep features just to satisfy a generation which is aging out of new car buying. Heck, even Buick is trying to appeal to younger buyers.

Satellite radio (which has basically already been replaced by streaming to stay afloat), CD players, and AM radio are 3 commonly installed car entertainment features I personally haven’t used in over 10 years. Good riddance.
I'm always so behind the times. When we bought our Ascent 2 years ago, I was super excited to finally have my first car with a CD player in it! And I use it a lot (along with my ancient iPod that I think there's cave drawings of somewhere it's so "old").
Reactions: 3
A Pew Research Center survey last fall found that nearly 50% of US adults get their news from radio and about 47 million Americans still listen to AM radio regularly, which represents about 20% of the radio-listening public.
I'm sure that's currently true. But the same thing was the case back when the conversion from analog TV to digital TV started. And more recently, the cellular world leaving "3g" behind. Things are going to change over time. What eventually replaces AM radio may be an unknown, but it's likely it will occur at some point. Heck, every communication technology we use today, old or bleeding edge, will be replaced by something else at some point. Maybe instead of saying, "don't take away my AM radio", we should be saying, "tell us more about what you will replace AM radio with".
I'm sure that's currently true. But the same thing was the case back when the conversion from analog TV to digital TV started. And more recently, the cellular world leaving "3g" behind. Things are going to change over time. What eventually replaces AM radio may be an unknown, but it's likely it will occur at some point. Heck, every communication technology we use today, old or bleeding edge, will be replaced by something else at some point. Maybe instead of saying, "don't take away my AM radio", we should be saying, "tell us more about what you will replace AM radio with".
Well thst is fine, but they currently have no replacement but still are removing it. The other difference is that tv was not mobile as radio had been. That radio signal must travel with us as we drive to disparate locales. I they could beam a sat signal from large and small stations to my car for free without politically controlling the content, i would be fine with that.
AM radio with 3.5mm jack is $10-20
i am sure not going to make my car decision based on AM radio
if they kill carplay for me it's likely a deal breaker
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Here's the perfect solution, and as an added bonus you can even get it at Sears!

Camera accessory Camera Digital camera Rectangle Cameras & optics
See less See more
  • Love
if they kill carplay for me it's likely a deal breaker
GM has actually decided to do that...believe it or not.
So GM decided to stop selling the cars they make? 😂
So GM decided to stop selling the cars they make? 😂
Yup

• Haha
I had already heard about this…
I’m curious to see what their replacement for CarPlay/AA is or if they’ll need another bailout. My bet is they’ll go back and integrate CarPlay/AA anyway.
I had already heard about this…
I’m curious to see what their replacement for CarPlay/AA is or if they’ll need another bailout. My bet is they’ll go back and integrate CarPlay/AA anyway.
GM wants to be in the data business. especially since they can not compete very well in the auto market.
  • Haha
GM wants to be in the data business. especially since they can not compete very well in the auto market.
I'm curious to see if this will make Apple open up a little bit to car manufacturers (and drop their licensing fees) in order to keep CP in vehicles. GM isn't the only one doing side deals with Google, 2023 Volvos have a similar system (but still support CP/AA)
21 - 40 of 59 Posts