Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got for the second time a message on the center display that reads "2hrs Since Engine Ignition" or something like that. Was it so important to inform me that the engine has been running for exactly 2hrs? The car decided to distract my attention from the road, so it must be very important, was I supposed to raise a glass and have a toast to celebrate my 2hrs driving?

Jokes apart, why in the world would the developers include such a useless message?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Today I got for the second time a message on the center display that reads "2hrs Since Engine Ignition" or something like that. Was it so important to inform me that the engine has been running for exactly 2hrs? The car decided to distract my attention from the road, so it must be very important, was I supposed to raise a glass and have a toast to celebrate my 2hrs driving?

Jokes apart, why in the world would the developers include such a useless message?
If you were using the Navigation system, you must have it set to remind you to take a break every two hours. That can be changed or turned off.

My hand held TomTom and Magellan both have that feature also.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts

It’s not intended to be useless, nor do I personally find it so. My other two Subarus do the same thing. As mentioned by another poster, the intent is to let you know it’s been two hours since you last stopped and turned off the engine, implying it’s been two hours since you got out and stretched your legs. I would imagine there’s a way to deactivate it, and it may take the dealer to do it, but I can’t say for sure.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
There's a setting to turn it off. Go into the Navigation app settings to turn it off if you don't like it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It will also tell you if you've been driving longer - and if you've been driving a long time it can ask if you want it to find you a rest stop. I regularly drive 6 hour trips (400 miles) - many times with no breaks or maybe 1. It rarely influences my driving but I don't find it a useless message. I keep mine enabled just for awareness - sometimes it IS good to take a break.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
There's a setting to turn it off. Go into the Navigation app settings to turn it off if you don't like it.
How about us premium owners? Since I don’t have navigation is it still possible to turn off?
I understand the intent is to remind the driver to take a break if necessary, but all it seems to actually do is give me and my fiancée a chuckle after 2 hrs on the road.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s not intended to be useless, nor do I personally find it so. My other two Subarus do the same thing. As mentioned by another poster, the intent is to let you know it’s been two hours since you last stopped and turned off the engine, implying it’s been two hours since you got out and stretched your legs. I would imagine there’s a way to deactivate it, and it may take the dealer to do it, but I can’t say for sure.

On second thought, perhaps it is useful to somebody driving alone.
I typically drive until I feel tired, I know my own limits. I can't pull off the 23 hrs trips only stopping for gas anymore, but 2 hrs? that's barely longer than daily commute, perhaps it can be configured for longer time?
Usually on every long trip I have wife and kids to remind me THEY want to stop long before I get tired (and trust me, they never fail at that). Does anyone know how to disable that feature on my kids? :grin:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I completely forgot about that warning message! LOL

It first appeared for me when I had been stuck in traffic for 2 hours. *ding* "WTF? 2hrs Since Engine Ignition?? :unamused face: Thanks Ascent...Thanks for reminding me that I've been sitting here for 2 hours and I still havent gone 30 miles...."

·
Registered
927 Posts
When I drove to Portland in my Outback I did 2 days of driving and only stopped twice for gas. Boy was my outback complaining about the hours driven!

I don't think we can change it on our Ascent Premium as we don't have navigation settings!

·
Registered
70 Posts
super useful to me after I learned to look for it

Just back from driving alone about 2,000 miles over 10 days. I did not drive at all a few of those days; on other days, I drove 5-10 hours a day. The first time my Limited flashed the 2-hr warning, I wasn't sure what it said, but after the second time, I took it to heart and started planning drives in two-hour chunks.

With the car almost driving itself on the interstate, listening to podcasts and Pandora was important for keeping me entertained and aware. However, the limited dancing possibilities in the driver's seat made actually standing up occasionally really important. Maybe some of y'all have fully-functioning knees and a Gatorade bottle handy, but that's just not true for everyone.

Stop and think if you really want people behind the wheel for more than 2 hours continuously. That's an awfully long time to do pretty much nothing in such a potentially dangerous situation.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI I spoke to Subaru and to clarify there's two different notifications this thread is talking about and I think some are confusing the two. On the navigation there is a setting to turn off "Rest Stop Guidance Function". However this is not what you are noticing. On the dashboard display a warning comes up stating " 2 hours since ignition on" (or 3 or 4 etc hours). This warning notification display CANNOT be turned off. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts