Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weighing with my new physician’s scale July 8, 2019

Medical Heavy Weight Floor Scale: Digital Easy Read and High Capacity Health, Fitness and Physician Portable Scale with Battery and AC Adapter - Pound and Kilogram Settings - 550 lb / 249 Kg Limit by Patient Aid
  1. I laid a piece of plywood counter top, that I use as a cutting board in basement, on the ground and measured to bottom of coupler with the trailer level; 16”
  2. The scale thickness is just barely shy of 2”, 10 Lynx levels are 10.5” and a 4x4 of treated lumber is 3.5” x 3.5” 12.5” + 3.5” = 16”.
  3. The 10 Lynx Levelers and the piece of 4x4 treated post, used as risers, weighed 11.8 lb.
Note: I really didn’t need the weight of the items used as risers because the scale does have a Tare feature, but I didn’t find that out until AFTER I was done. Head-slap, Duh!

I compared known weights on the physician’s scale with those on my Brecknell scale.

Brecknell PS150 Digital, Shipping Scale; up to 150lb. Capacity, Portable, Perfect for Commercial, Industrial, Warehouse, Postal, High Accuracy by Brecknell

The compared known weights showed identical weights on both scales.

I replaced the weights in the pass through with bricks positioned where the objects would set in the pass through

Riser weights are shown, as I didn’t realize that there was a Tare feature until I had taken the weights.

Riser Wt.: 11.8
Trailer Level: 493.0 lb. - 11.8 lb. = 481.2 lb, 493.8 lb. - 11.8 lb. = 482.0 lb., (oops forgot 3rd one) Average: 481.6 lb.

Riser Wt: 12.2 lb. 0.66” is thickness of a piece of 1 x 3 that I used
Trailer Level + 0.66”: 489.4 lb. - 12.2 lb. = 477.2 lb., 488.0 lb. - 12.2 lb. = 475.8 lb., 491.8 lb. - 12.2 lb. = 479.6 lb. Average: 477.5 lb.

Riser Wt: 12.4 lb. 1.32” is thickness of two pieces of 1 x 3 that I used
Trailer Level + 1.32”: 488.0 lb. 12.4 lb. = 475.6 lb., 486.6 lb. - 12.4 lb. = 474.2 lb. , 486.6 - 12.4 lb. = 474.2 lb. Average: 474.7 lb.

On July 1, 2019, at a landscape place, within 4 miles of my house, on a Michigan certified scale, the Ascent weighed 2.36 tons or 4,720 lb. The Ascent, pulled onto the scale with the trailer wheels still off the scale weighed 2.60 tons or 5,200 lb. 5,200 - 4,720 = 480 lb. for the tongue weight.

The combined weight of the Ascent and the Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB was 4.13 tons or 8,260 lb., on that date.

The trailer weighed 8,260 lb. minus 4,720 lb. or 3,540 lb. My spreadsheet on that date, where I’ve been keeping track of trailer weight, showed 3,545 lb. as the trailer’s gross vehicle weight (GVW).

We still have food, clothing and personal care items to load into the trailer. I’m guessing, but maybe another 100 lb. of stuff. To allow for under estimating, I’m planning on a trailer gross vehicle weight of 3,700 lb., at this time, with a tongue weight of 11% of that or 407 lb. I’ll be satisfied with a tongue weight of 400 lb., if the GVW for the trailer comes in around 3,700 lb.

I am feeling very much relieved to find a way to get, what I feel, is an accurate tongue weight at home. That combined with the a reasonably accurate trailer GVW, obtained by weighing everything that goes into the trailer, means I don’t have to go to a public scale again.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
This scale was discussed in detail in another thread. Its accuracy is in question. Ken was looking for something with more reliable accuracy.
you know you own weight , you can always step on it and look
you have 100+lb of gas in the car so 50lb at the Tongue will not make any difference

also don't use 2000 and 5000 models if you only need 500lb to test

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
you have 100+lb of gas in the car so 50lb at the Tongue will not make any difference

I don't own the Sherline scale so I have no way to test it. I'm just reporting what some others have said. I was going to buy one and test it after I purchased my trailer, but now I think I'll just go with the medical scale Ken tested above.

The purported problem with the Sherline and other hydraulic scales is that they attempt to convert hydraulic pressure into a weight measurement which apparently has some accuracy issues. Again, I have not tested it myself, so I'm only relating what I've read.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I don't own the Sherline scale so I have no way to test it. I'm just reporting what some others have said. I was going to buy one and test it after I purchased my trailer, but now I think I'll just go with the medical scale Ken tested above.

The purported problem with the Sherline and other hydraulic scales is that they attempt to convert hydraulic pressure into a weight measurement which apparently has some accuracy issues. Again, I have not tested it myself, so I'm only relating what I've read.
440lb Scale starts from $35 , i don't think you need medical Scale accuracy for a trailer

or 660lb for $45

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

440lb Scale starts from $35 , i don't think you need medical Scale accuracy for a trailer

or 660lb for $45

Yes, I saw those, and I'd love to see them tested for accuracy. I hope someone will and report back here.

The problem with such unusually low-cost items is that they're usually sourced from China (where else) with no quality assurance. The higher priced scales probably (but not always) have better quality even though those too are probably made in China.

When I get my trailer I intend to order and thoroughly test one or more of these scales. Since Amazon has a great return policy, there is little risk.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

or 660lb for $45

Thanks, when I was doing my original research on that type of scale, I did run across that 650 lb. one. Actually, there are several of these on Amazon, and all appear to be the same OEM. The reviews turned me away, but I do appreciate you taking the time to point them out to others in this forum.

I used the $154 physician's scale for two more days not, and I'd say, everything is going okay with it, at least for now.

Again, thanks. :)

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts

I thought so as well... until Sunday when I was putting in my underside armor. The gas tank is in front of the rear wheels and stretches under the car floor. Tongue weight is in the back, pulling down the rear wheels and beefier (than the front) rear end.

·
Registered
690 Posts
still...
and 3rd row passengers load point 200 -300lb inst in the rear of rear wheels ?
if its on the middle still be ~50-75% load
anything behind 3rd row is almost 1:1 load (2x5 gal gas cans is 63+lb)

lever effect calculation from hitch to rear wheels to the rest of the car 50lb still be 'negligible'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts