Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a little off roading on my road trip and the Ascent breezed through everything.

In total, I ended up doing about 27 hours of off roading and soft roading in 12 days. To put that into perspective, if your work commute is 30 minutes each way, then you likely spend 22-23ish hours a month commuting to and from work. I spent more time that that off the paved roads in a little over a week and a half. ;)

Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Here I lift opposing wheels off the ground. The neatest thing is that I haven't noticed a single wheel leaving the ground. My Subie just stops the wheel dead until it hits the ground again, and just keeps on going.

There are competitors who need to disconnect sway bars and linkage to try to keep all wheels on the ground during making of their commercials, but my Ascent just doesn't care. I can easily ease myself up or down or across such situations with no effort.

(X-Mode not used today)

THAT is why front wheel biased, limited time, limited rear wheel assist "all" wheel drive may be "good enough" for many situations, but can never compare when things get really rough. ?

#symmetricalAWD #AlwaysOnAWD

This is one of multiple times a couple wheels left the ground this trip... (sadly, Ryan missed it on the way up at the end)

Sheep Mountain Table in Badlands National Park on the 4x4 Trail
Here's some muddy trails on the top of the Sheep Mountain Table butte in the 4x4 trail section...

BLM378 in Arches National Park
Here's some fun on a rock shelf to dirt "road" (BLM378) in Arches National Park at sunset

Shafer Canyon Trail in Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park
And finally, Shafer Canyon Trail Drive 360° VR View From My Subaru Ascent.

Driving the 19.2 mile long dirt switchback trail out of Shafer Canyon via Shafer Canyon Trail, ascending 3,116 feet.

While there are a number of passing areas, and it gets wider at the top, yes, the edge really is as close as it looks in places.

On mobile, you can tilt your phone or drag the video to change view, otherwise, it's a really neat view from a VR headset, as seen from the top of the car.

The Shafer Canyon Campsite is an amazing place to stay, and the trip to it is breathtaking, day or night.

Geology Trail Road in Joshua Tree National Park
This was a fun Two Ascent off roading trip...

Don't forget to donate!!!

#Subaru #SubaruofAmerica #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #SubieLove #SubaruAscent #AscentAdventure #nationalparks #fundraising #leavenotrace

There's more on my Facebook page...

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have hours of video, including more 360° video to still ingest, edit and upload... more to come!!!

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing all that makes me wish we had some trails like that around here. Looks like fun!
Me too. I had to travel across the country to finally find trails, lol.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice! In my neck of the woods (Joshua Tree)

Itching to go out again!

A few questions

• Any flats?
  • Shock fade?
  • Did you feel the need for aux lighting?
  • Anything else you wish you had? Or would have done differently?

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cool. I've driven some of those places myself (though only in rentals after flying out there, not in our OB). Did you happen to try your Ascent on the White Rim road? That one's still on my list.
It's still on my list too. We didn't have time to go much farther. We did get tacit permission to do so though, after a (paraphrased) "you are forbidden... AWD and not 4x4" to which I responded "It's a full time AWD Subie with locking X-Mode" to which they responded "sorry, please ignore our earlier email - it was in error".

Next time. I definitely plan on camping in Shafer Canyon again, bugs and all, it is a gorgeous place to stay.

Any flats?
Nope. Very happy with how the Kumho Road Venture AT51s performed - especially since we were in such a rush that I did not air down, even once. I should have, for comfort at least.
Shock fade?
None.
Did you feel the need for aux lighting?
It would have been a little comforting when descending Shafer Trail, but, the LED lights are very bright. I am not sure if they would have done much - we were wishing we had them to see what was over the edge, but, in retrospect, realizing that it was almost 2/3 of a mile down, I am not sure how handy they would have been.
Anything else you wish you had? Or would have done differently?
Maybe a hitch or roof mount for the full sized spare. It does grab in sand, and I managed to kick it back, into the 7 pin plug, which bent the bracket for it (easy enough to bend back into place, and the 7 pin socket didn't get damaged). It would have given me a bit better departure angle as well.
Also, do you think for most trails you needed skid plates?
I never had any on my 2010 Outback, but that was a manual, with no pan. Seeing the massive CVT pan (and the price for a replacement CVT that puncturing the pan during driving would necessitate) made me very sure that I wanted skid plates.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If I wasn't in the middle of moving houses I would've taken a week off to join you as you toured our beautiful southwest! Been dying to get out and offroad my Ascent but been busy busy.

Glad you had a great trip and it was fun at the meet up at ZinBurger.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you ever make it to Skyline drive? We waited for you for almost a half hour and then just headed out. The sky was partially overcast, so it wasn't the best night for stargazing.
We had our whole schedule messed up by the weather, and I hadn't heard back from anyone beyond "maybe, I'll let you know", so, we moved on quickly. Sorry.

I really would have liked an extra week's time for the trip.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Traction control has cut power and momentum on snow and sand preventing me from getting any momentum.

I drive with TC off in sand, but curious about fire roads and trails that can be run faster than x mode will allow. Essentially 4hi

Did you do those runs without TC?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey Robert great stuff,looks like a lot of fun had by you guys.
What PSI do you drop your tires to when you’re off-roading?
Also,have you considered chrome delete?...I think it will look awesome with the wheels and vehicle color combo(sorry if brought up b4).

Lets Go Mets!

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Robert great stuff,looks like a lot of fun had by you guys.
What PSI do you drop your tires to when you’re off-roading?
Also,have you considered chrome delete?...I think it will look awesome with the wheels and vehicle color combo(sorry if brought up b4).

Lets Go Mets!
Hi Luis,

Sorry, been busy and meaning to get back to this. On this trip, I didn't air down at all. I should have, especially on the washboarded roads, but my Ascent was packed so tight it made it hard to get out the big compressor, so, I was lazy.

I air down to 15-18 psi. Keep in mind, I have 17" tires with 31% more sidewall than the 20" tires (and they're all terrains(, so, they can easily support running at that pressure.

And yes, I've considered a chrome delete, and I've also considered a deep red and a dark electric blue (dunno what the official color is). The colors were similar to these.

I'd decided to use a combo of matte and gloss black, based on someone else's Magnetite Grey Metallic Ascent, but then someone else posted one with dark red accents, and then I found my blue sample.

So undecided, lol!!! :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.