Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Looked like all those cars had one thing in common: locked wheels!

Doesn’t matter which direction your wheels are pointed if they’re not turning. Our ABS should help rectify that! And hopefully we’re all familiar with the feel in the brake pedal since we’ve probably all had RAB kick in at least once!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Reminds me of that ".....ice skate uphill" line from a popular vampire-killer movie. :ROFLMAO:

Exactly as packout noted, we've gotta remember our limits. Even with winter tires and a relatively heavy vehicle pressing down on top, where there is simply no traction (as xydadx3 pointed out, every time a vehicle was out of control, it could be seen that its wheels were locked, and the tires just sliding), you're -NOT- going to win that battle, no matter what kind of tire you have.

For those of us who favor seasonal-appropriate tires, we must realize that even though our performance envelope (read: margin of safety) is greatly expanded, we're still not immune from the laws of physics. Similarly, and perhaps even more importantly, we must also mind other vehicles sharing the roads with us, the majority of which will most likely not be as well equipped.

Discretion can well be the better part of valor. Honestly evaluate if you really must be at work that day (or at work at that time - often, it only takes a few hours for municipal road crews to catch up after the initial blast), and really ask yourself if the errands you want to go out to do are "must dos," or if they are just to show off your Subaru's winter shoes. :)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reminds me of that ".....ice skate uphill" line from a popular vampire-killer movie. :ROFLMAO:

Exactly as packout noted, we've gotta remember our limits. Even with winter tires and a relatively heavy vehicle pressing down on top, where there is simply no traction (as xydadx3 pointed out, every time a vehicle was out of control, it could be seen that its wheels were locked, and the tires just sliding), you're -NOT- going to win that battle, no matter what kind of tire you have.

For those of us who favor seasonal-appropriate tires, we must realize that even though our performance envelope (read: margin of safety) is greatly expanded, we're still not immune from the laws of physics. Similarly, and perhaps even more importantly, we must also mind other vehicles sharing the roads with us, the majority of which will most likely not be as well equipped.

Discretion can well be the better part of valor. Honestly evaluate if you really must be at work that day (or at work at that time - often, it only takes a few hours for municipal road crews to catch up after the initial blast), and really ask yourself if the errands you want to go out to do are "must dos," or if they are just to show off your Subaru's winter shoes. :)
And avoid a hill for which you see other vehicles stuck mid-hill. If they can not make it up, they likely will have to come down somehow (probably in an uncontrolled manner). I for one, do not want to be behind them. Take a hint from the pile of banged up vehicles and all the onlookers taking pictures.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
And avoid a hill for which you see other vehicles stuck mid-hill. If they can not make it up, they likely will have to come down somehow (probably in an uncontrolled manner). I for one, do not want to be behind them. Take a hint from the pile of banged up vehicles and all the onlookers taking pictures.
Yep, doesn't matter how great our tires are or our AWD is if another car is sliding down the hill at us. ??

I almost had that problem when cars trying to leave our underground garage at work slipped back down our iced up driveway one stormy night. I had to wait until they were rolled back off the ramp and into the garage, and all was clear, before I went up the ramp.

I'd have been hit by at least a couple of them had I followed them.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Also, it's not a good idea to jump out and try to stop your out of control vehicle WITH YOUR BODY!
Definitely a "hold my beer" situation I suspect... ;)

Reactions: TSiWRX and GaryInMI
1 - 9 of 9 Posts