Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decade-long Outback owner looking to add an Ascent as the family grows. Is a 2020 Ascent Limited (8-pass, tech. package), clear Carfax. report, 7k miles for $37,900 a fair price? Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
99 Posts
Decade-long Outback owner looking to add an Ascent as the family grows. Is a 2020 Ascent Limited (8-pass, tech. package), clear Carfax. report, 7k miles for $37,900 a fair price? Thanks for the help.
I’ll buy a new one! You can get 2021 limited for that price! My 2019 ascent when I pre ordered with RF audio and tow hitch was close to that price!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agree, I’ve been looking and have gotten quotes around 6000 off MSRP in major metro areas (multiple dealers in that range in SF Bay Area). Most of the Limited with Nav cars are mid 44K, so about $38,500 on average for new. These are the “click here for best price” internet dept quotes. If you are in a smaller town, you may need to get some quotes from an area with some competition to get that price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree, I’ve been looking and have gotten quotes around 6000 off MSRP in major metro areas (multiple dealers in that range in SF Bay Area). Most of the Limited with Nav cars are mid 44K, so about $38,500 on average for new. These are the “click here for best price” internet dept quotes. If you are in a smaller town, you may need to get some quotes from an area with some competition to get that price.
Very helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Premium, 2021
39 Posts
I paid $36,500 for a brand new Ascent Premium 8-seat at the end of January. They added the heavy rubber matts and a couple of other options. But I didn't go for the leather upholstery, towing kit, or the sun roof or fog lights. (I have had a sun roof and towing kit in my last two, and never used them at all. Those trim options add about $5,000 more to the price). HOWEVER, it was an end-or-year clearance (even though they were 2021 models in January of 2021---lol) and the factory also furnished a limited time rebate of an additional $1,075 if you buy before the end of January 2021. I had looked at a 2019 Ascent Touring model at Carmax, and it only had 24,000 miles and they wanted $37,000. So I went to the dealer and said "What can you do for me" and they said "If you don't care about the sun roof, towing, leather upholstery, memory seats, heated exterior mirrors (we live in south Texas), and the De-Luxe stereo package then we can sell you a brand new Ascent premium for the same price! So that's what I did. I know the Touring model is a lot more, because my daughter has one, but I didn't need all the extra fancy stuff and only wanted a bench seat for the second row because the dogs ride with us!

My advice is to take the best "pre-owned' offer and at least go to the dealer and ask what they can do for you. You may be surprised. All the tech safety features pretty much come on all the models now, especially starting with the Limited.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
428 Posts
I paid $36,500 for a brand new Ascent Limited 7-seat at the end of January. The list as 7 seaters because 2 is all the third row is equipped to seat. They added the heavy rubber matts and a couple of other trim options. But I didn't go for the leather upholstery, towing kit, or the sun roof. (I have had a sun roof and towing kit in my last two, and never used them at all. Those trim options add about $5,000 more to the price). HOWEVER, it was an end-or-year clearance (even though they were 2021 models in January of 2021---lol) and the factory also furnished a limited time rebate of an additional $1,075 if you buy before the end of January 2021. I had looked at a 2019 Ascent Touring model at Carmax, and it only had 24,000 miles and they wanted $37,000. So I went to the dealer and said "What can you do for me" and they said "If you don't care about the sun roof, towing, leather upholstery, memory seats, heated exterior mirrors (we live in south Texas), the led rear view mirror, and the De-Luxe stereo package plus the floor lighting (?) then we can sell you a brand new Ascent limited for the same price! So that's what I did. I know the Touring model is a lot more, because my daughter has one, but I didn't need all the extra fancy stuff and only wanted a bench seat for the second row because the dogs ride with us!

My advice is to take the best "pre-owned' offer and at least go to the dealer and ask what they can do for you. You may be surprised. All the tech safety features pretty much come on all the models now, especially starting with the Limited.
I'm confused, are you saying they're calling the 8 seater (2nd row bench) a 7 seater? And therefore the 7 seater (captain's chairs in middle row) is called a 6 seater? Was the dealership calling it that? If so, that's pretty weird, since Subaru clearly calls the 8 seater an 8 seater, and there's definitely 3 seat belts in the back. (I'll agree that the middle seat in the back row isn't the most comfortable, probably kids only for that one)

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you don't have leather and memory seats then it's not a limited.
His/her signature says "Premium" so maybe getting the trims confused?

$37.9K seems too high (YMMV I guess) for a used Limited as already mentioned. You should definitely keep looking or consider a new one; I imagine you should be able to get a decent deal on a new one now being close to the end of Q1.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His/her signature says "Premium" so maybe getting the trims confused?

$37.9K seems too high (YMMV I guess) for a used Limited as already mentioned. You should definitely keep looking or consider a new one; I imagine you should be able to get a decent deal on a new one now being close to the end of Q1.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was able to get quick e-offers for $41,062 on a new 2021 limited w/ same options.

If were to use VIP pricing on a new 2021 limited w/ same options, it brings me to:
$40,473 (limited 8-pass + destination fee + tech. package) - 2% = $39,663.54 (and + $500 for ASPCA donation)

I guess the VIP price is the number I should take in there to negotiate on the 2020 w/ 7k miles.

I won't be trading in, so:
KBB (private party) on this used one is $38,267 (excellent condition).
Edmunds (dealer retail) is $38,579 (outstanding condition).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
VIP pricing can be either 2% below invoice or at invoice, depending on the program. Many folks have been successful in negotiating a better price in some geographies, too. I also feel that used vehicle is priced a little high given for only a 2-3 grand difference for a new vehicle with the entire 3/36 warranty available. And if you're financing, rates are typically better on new vehicles, too.

Reactions: indefiniteintegral

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent Premium, 2021
39 Posts
I'm confused, are you saying they're calling the 8 seater (2nd row bench) a 7 seater? And therefore the 7 seater (captain's chairs in middle row) is called a 6 seater? Was the dealership calling it that? If so, that's pretty weird, since Subaru clearly calls the 8 seater an 8 seater, and there's definitely 3 seat belts in the back. (I'll agree that the middle seat in the back row isn't the most comfortable, probably kids only for that one)
Sorry. Had the trim models confused. I actually have the "Premium" with 8 seat capacity. I must have looked at a dozen cars on the lot and each one had "something" I wanted but a lot of stuff I didn't want and did not wish to pay for. It was hard to find one with just what I wanted. It was also confusing because the one called the 'limited' had more standard features (for an extra $5K) than the one that is called the Premium. I changed my original post.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
428 Posts
Yeah, the names are a little weird, kind of like how Starbux names their drinks. (3 different words for "big" instead of small, medium, and large)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, all. I walked away from it this afternoon. They would not budge below $40k for OTD. It's a hot used marked right now, apparently.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I sealed the deal in sept 2018 for the MY19 limited model (w/ only trailer hitch option) and took delivery at the following december for $38.5K (w/o TTL). Supposedly, the technology package is worth about $3k brand new. And my TTL was about $3k OTD.

I believe the cliche about the loss of $5K (or whatever number people say) resale value when you drive off the lot is more true when you have many of the bells and whistles added (i.e. technology package or options). The question for you: do you care for the tech package option? if so, that's still worth about $3K (or less). But they're going to entertain other buyers before settling a lower price. I'm surprised that they're not taking $40K OTD.

One thing to keep in mind, keep your financing and warranty purchase open, and don't be precise to the salesman. Subaru dealers make money on car sale, financing, and warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sealed the deal in sept 2018 for the MY19 limited model (w/ only trailer hitch option) and took delivery at the following december for $38.5K (w/o TTL). Supposedly, the technology package is worth about $3k brand new. And my TTL was about $3k OTD.

I believe the cliche about the loss of $5K (or whatever number people say) resale value when you drive off the lot is more true when you have many of the bells and whistles added (i.e. technology package or options). The question for you: do you care for the tech package option? if so, that's still worth about $3K (or less). But they're going to entertain other buyers before settling a lower price. I'm surprised that they're not taking $40K OTD.

One thing to keep in mind, keep your financing and warranty purchase open, and don't be precise to the salesman. Subaru dealers make money on car sale, financing, and warranty.
They would take $40k OTD on a used 2020, but I don't believe that's a good deal when I have offers for a new 2021 for $39k (pre-tax). I definitely want the Technology Package. I'm going to follow up with them this week via email to say I'm still interested if they'll come down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts