Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020 Ascent in September, used the A/C for the first time about a month ago and it was blowing hot air. Took it in for repair and now same issue. Dealership is saying the condenser core has a punctured in it from a rock that hit it... not covered under warranty!! Been driving for over 30 years and never had this issue. Watch out for Subaru’s Mother Nature clause for warranty .. covers nothing! BS!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I know it is upsetting. They did not cover my broken windshield either when rocks hit it. But then again I did not ask them to do so. Road hazard I accept as my problem.

Did you look at the puncture? Did It look like something hit it? Any pictures? Your options are to convince them that it is not a rock puncture or appeal to their and/or SOA’s generosity to help you out or pay full price to have it fixed.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Just bought a 2020 Ascent in September, used the A/C for the first time about a month ago and it was blowing hot air. Took it in for repair and now same issue. Dealership is saying the condenser core has a punctured in it from a rock that hit it... not covered under warranty!! Been driving for over 30 years and never had this issue. Watch out for Subaru’s Mother Nature clause for warranty .. covers nothing! BS!
So let me understand the intellectual position you are taking.

A Subaru manufacturer warranty provides free repairs / replacement for parts and labor for any items in the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first for any manufacturer defects. That focus on manufactured defect is important to understand. It DOES NOT cover anything that goes wrong with the vehicle during the first 3 yr / 36,000 miles. The precise easy to read and understand wording is written in all the literature that is readily available to any prospective buyer. It does not substantially differ from any other auto manufacturer. Not only does it cover defects but as anyone would expect, the product (in this case an auto) should do what it is advertised and expected to do by any reasonable standard. This is the "contract" that you signed under your free will.

In your situation you did not experience a defect, you experienced a road hazard that unfortunately early in your new car experience damaged the condenser core. If you had ANY evidence to the contrary I suspect you would have noted that in your post and brought it up to Subaru so I assume you do not. In fact you characterized the damage as caused by Mother Nature.

So now you want readers of your post be warned and to agree with you that big bad Subaru should cover ALL cost for ALL items that stop working, no matter what the cause. If you have hail damage, you want Subaru to cover the cost. If you have a flood, you would want Subaru to cover the costs. If you have a bear eat your car parts, you want Subaru to cover the repair costs.

I completely understand you hate that this happened. This is life and not everything goes as expected or hoped for.

I do not know what trim level you purchased so I do not know what you paid for your new vehicle, but the Ascent is not inexpensive. You work hard for your income and presumably have the skill sets necessary and intellect to earn enough income to afford this vehicle.

There is a difference between writing about your frustrations of a life event and hitting "post " for the world to read.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
357 Posts
Wby should the dealership cover an act of nature? Do you think Subaru should cover the body repair costs should your car be the unfortunate target of a couple hundred golf ball sized hailstones? However, if you think that the issue is caused by something other than a hit from a rock, and rather was from some type of manufacturing defect, than I'd find another dealer or contact SOA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it is upsetting. They did not cover my broken windshield either when rocks hit it. But then again I did not ask them to do so. Road hazard I accept as my problem.

Did you look at the puncture? Did It look like something hit it? Any pictures? Your options are to convince them that it is not a rock puncture or appeal to their and/or SOA’s generosity to help you out or pay full price to have it fixed.
A rock to the Windshield is a very common Issue with all vehicles. A rock from driving on a paved road that will hit the underneath of a car and puncture a major component is hard to believe. I would think that Subaru would want to make a cover for that for protection.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
A rock to the Windshield is a very common Issue with all vehicles. A rock from driving on a paved road that will hit the underneath of a car and puncture a major component is hard to believe. I would think that Subaru would want to make a cover for that for protection.
It is not as unusual as you might thinkhttps://www.gm-volt.com/threads/rock-hit-my-radiator.124970/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts