Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought to dealer let them listen to an audio I made of the clicking noise which is intermediate being they couldn't reproduce this noise they did nothing any ideas?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Yes, if it sounds kinda like a click or tock (and even slightly electronic), it's the expansion valve mounted to the firewall, almost mid vehicle (left to right). If you open your hood, you will see it "embedded" into the vehicle firewall.

It looks a lot like this, except sideways, and halfway through the firewall.

It is located here:

It is discussed, in depth, here:

If the sound coincides with what you hear in the video, then, that's your source, and, it's normal. If not, then, please post a video so we can hear it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, if it sounds kinda like a click or tock (and even slightly electronic), it's the expansion valve mounted to the firewall, almost mid vehicle (left to right). If you open your hood, you will see it "embedded" into the vehicle firewall.

It looks a lot like this, except sideways, and halfway through the firewall.

View attachment 6951

It is located here:
View attachment 6952

View attachment 6953

It is discussed, in depth, here:

If the sound coincides with what you hear in the video, then, that's your source, and, it's normal. If not, then, please post a video so we can hear it.
Yes it sounds exactly like the video thank you so much for the info; why is this sound normal I have owned many vehicles over the 40 plus years I have been driving never heard any noise like this before; annoying- thanks again!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Yes it sounds exactly like the video thank you so much for the info; why is this sound normal I have owned many vehicles over the 40 plus years I have been driving never heard any noise like this before; annoying- thanks again!
I'm not sure why Subaru does it that way, but, for whatever reason, Subaru embeds our expansion valve on the car's firewall, where it happens to be right behind the air ducting (which makes it sometimes sound like it comes from different parts of the dash). Other car manufacturers don't.

Here's an image from 2005 in the Legacy GT Forums of an older Legacy GT's engine compartment, with the engine out. You'll note, even waaaaay back then, in a totally different model Subaru, it's located in about the same spot. Wish I knew why.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts