Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vehicle my wife and I got were missing a few items we really wanted and the local dealership only sold some items for 15% off, others were full retail.

With a little Google search, I found a dealership in Conway SC that sells items at a deep discount (~30% off) and shipping was cheap enough it still made it worth while. (Oddly enough, we're going on vacation to Myrtle Beach soon and almost did an in-store pick up since they're on the way, but we wanted these installed for the trip.)

Last night I put in the cargo tray, cargo cover (anyone else feel it isn't as securely held in place as the design for the Outback/Forester?), 3rd row shades (which my wife didn't want, but I feel it completes the look), and the 2nd row sun shades (thanks to @Bobby Kinstle for the write up and pics on the installation process (https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/how-to-install-the-2nd-row-window-shades.6741). Those were definitely the hardest part of everything I put in (the rest took 5 minutes). The 2nd row shades took about 45 minutes, longer than it should because I dropped a couple screws during the re-installation process and had to find them. Otherwise it's a really straightforward installation process.

I'm just praying my wife won't keep asking me to remove the door guards, although I don't love them, but they were included in the sale of the car, and I'd rather have the protection than not, even if she does think it "ruins the lines" of the car.

Only thing left is to wash it, install some door edge guard tape, and wax it before we head to the beach. I'm still debating getting a self healing bumper film of some sort.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Congrats! You are on your way to becoming a DIY pro modder. Now you know how easy it is to take the door panels off, you'll be swapping speakers and dynamatting the doors in no time! ;)

Keep the door guards. The Ascent is so wide that I find them bumping into lots of things just trying to get in and out.

This is also a great time to do a ceramic coat if the car hasn't been waxed yet. I asked my dealership not to wax the car during their prep. So then I just washed it very well and applied the ceramic coat in my garage that night. I used Crystal Serum Light which you can buy on Amazon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, not sure I'll go that far. It's my wife's daily driver, so unless she complains, it'll stay as is. She primarily listens to talk radio or talks to her mom, so speakers are low on her priority list. However, sound deadening might be. I have plenty left over from cars in my past. But in all reality, this car is so much quieter than her '17 Outback, so I doubt she'll say anything about road noise for a while (until the tires begin to wear).

I'm with you on the door guards, I'm trying to convince her to keep them, or ignore her request to remove them. :)

Mine was 'detailed' before we bought it. I've considered ceramic coatings, but haven't pulled the trigger due to cost. I just use a good sealer every time I wash it, but I know I should probably switch. Maybe I'll take the plunge on this car. Her Outback had a bird poop on it, I got it off about 24 hours later, and could tell it already did some damage to the paint, and that was with it being recently coated in a spray sealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts