Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2020 Subaru Ascent and have installed the c25vr Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2" and the 118290 Tekonsha OEM Replacement Vehicle Wiring Harness with 7-Way Trailer Connector from etrailer.com.

The instructions for the wiring harness want me to run a separate wire from the rear of the vehicle to the negative post on the battery with an inline 30 AMP fuse.

There is a 12 volt, cigarette lighter like connection in the rear of the vehicle that is active when the vehicle is running or the auxiliary power is on.

The question I have is this. Instead of running the separate wire all the way to the front of the vehicle can't I just tap into the 12 volt connection in the rear of the vehicle?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Bob Hanson

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,035 Posts
Your answer is likely "30 amps". What's the capacity of the circuit you want to tap into?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you're planning on towing anything of consequence, you really should have a hitch that attaches by more than just the bumper mounting bolts and surface, which are not designed to support pulling and tongue loads. The factory hitch extends inward/forward and mounts to longitudinal structural rails, not the bumper bolts/nuts. There are a number of good threads on the topic in this forum.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the hitch will be okay for the trailer I will be towing.

2018 Nucamp [email protected] MAX XL

Dry Weight

1,150 lbs.
Hitch Weight
100 lbs.

I have also been doing further research and as long as I don't want to power lights or charge the battery on the trailer I do not need to connect the black wire.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Bob Hanson

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
That connection may be needed to keep the breakaway battery recharged...

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
Is there a separate battery for the breakaway?
Some trailers have a small battery that applies the brakes if the breakaway wire gets pulled when a trailer comes off the ball and is free of the tow vehicle. I cannot tell you if your trailer has that feature or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The factory trailer wiring has a connector that plugs into existing trunk connections for the Signal lights as well as the 12v positive. It also is pre-wired for brake controller and you can find the other end of that connector near the drivers kick panel. So my guess would be any aftermarket wiring could use the same constant 12v source that the factory trailer wiring plug does. That source is used to power any 12v accessory your trailer may have, such as a interior dome light or the trailer brake battery as was suggested above. Therefore there is no need to run another 12v up to the battery or a trailer brake wire.

Reactions: Hok338
1 - 9 of 9 Posts