Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new 2020 Ascent Premium on 3/5/20. Yesterday, the check engine light comes on with all the other ( eye sight off xmode flashing rab off - read on here that was a Subaru get your attention thing) when I cranked the car to leave work. It just had its 6000k oil change 2 weeks ago. I read on here in the parking lot that this is happening to many people and as long as it wasn鈥檛 blinking check engine it was okay to drive. Gas cap was a common thread so I checked it hoping that was it and went on home. this morning Its still on so I went and filled up 馃 but no luck with it going off. I went by auto zone for a codes check as The dealearship is 80 minute drive. It was run 4 times At 2 different places and doesn鈥檛 show any codes. My Subaru app says normal health report repeatedly this whole time. I don鈥檛 hear anything off and it runs fine. Thoughts - Suggestions or this happened to me and it was ..... thanks in advance

Administrator
It could be the gas cap. It doesn't clear immediately.

Does everything else checks out fine, like oil level? Where was the oil changed? A common mistake non-dealers make is draining the CVT and putting more oil in the engine. If that's your problem, then you need to get your car towed to a dealership to be looked at and repaired. If it's overfilled, it's possible they drained the CVT and filled the engine with more. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the gas cap. It doesn't clear immediately.

Does everything else checks out fine, like oil level? Where was the oil changed? A common mistake non-dealers make is draining the CVT and putting more oil in the engine. If that's your problem, then you need to get your car towed to a dealership to be looked at and repaired. If it's overfilled, it's possible they drained the CVT and filled the engine with more. :(
oil change was done at the Subaru dealership. When it didn鈥檛 clear after the gas cap was messed with several times, I called the service manager to ask about it. He was confused by the MY Subaru app not even showing that the check engine light was on. He had me drive it in to check since it was on and recently serviced there.
Code came back gas cap when he checked. Cleared - on my happy way
I wish the auto parts store scan would have showed gas cap code cause then it wouldn鈥檛 be so scary driving it waiting to see if it clears. It was a nice drive though

Registered
I left the cap loose on my previous car and the check engine light came on. Put the cap back on and it took 1 day and ~40 miles of driving before it went out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts