Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up on 6k miles and thinking about doing it myself. I need recommendation for motor oil. I have been using Mobil1 for my Crosstrek but I have seen some posts about not doing that for the Ascent. So what is everyone recommending? I will be using Subaru filter. Also, is there a Fumato valve that can be used for Ascent?

Besides oil change anything else needs to be done as part of the 6k service?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Questions and answers and more questions and debates...

I am coming up on 6k miles and thinking about doing it myself. I need recommendation for motor oil. I have been using Mobil1 for my Crosstrek but I have seen some posts about not doing that for the Ascent. So what is everyone recommending?
Read all the grisly debates here:

I will be using Subaru filter. Also, is there a Fumato valve that can be used for Ascent?
Fumoto F108/F108N. Yes, the N series will fit.

NO, the F105 will NOT fit (there was some early information stating it should).

Besides oil change anything else needs to be done as part of the 6k service?
ALWAYS rotate your tires every 6,000 miles, otherwise you will experience excessive tire wear - always on AWD makes it pretty necessary. I've gotten 45,000+ miles (and changed due to road hazard damage) on the same tires others have gotten 25,000-30,000 miles on - and I guarantee you I drive my Subie Outback/Ascent much harsher than 98% of the rest of Subie Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, Forester and Ascent owners.

Other than that, just turn to the maintenance section of your Maintenance and Warranty booklet and check the schedule. I follow it mostly to the letter - because I make extensive excessive and sometimes brutal use of my Subies, I change my oil sooner than the recommended 6,000 miles (4,000-5,000).

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you're planning to keep the car for a long time, wolverine1024, invest in (U)sed (O)il (A)nalysis (UOA).

Everything else is just supposition.

Every vehicle is just a bit different from the other, even though they are all made to exacting tolerances. Every machine is somewhat unique.

The money you will save in the long-run by paying the nominal cost for UOAs - possibly in just the type of oil you use alone - will be well worth the investment both in terms of that money spent as well as your time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I am going to do the UOA. Buying Idemitsu full synthetic 0W20. Also, is the Subaru filter for Crosstrek and Ascent the same? I have few Crosstrek filters on hand.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
It fits ALMOST all recent non-performance Subaru 2.0/2.4/2.5L engines

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I am going to do the UOA. Buying Idemitsu full synthetic 0W20. Also, is the Subaru filter for Crosstrek and Ascent the same? I have few Crosstrek filters on hand.
If it's a 2014-2019 Crosstrek, yes.

The part number(s) you want to find are:
  • 15208AA15A
  • 15208AA160

It also fits a variety of other recent model year Subarus, including various Foresters (virtually all 2014-2019 2.0L, 2011-2019 2.5L), Imprezas (virtually all 2012-2019), Outbacks (virtually all 2.5L from 2013-2019).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Documentation

Read all the grisly debates here:

Fumoto F108/F108N. Yes, the N series will fit.

NO, the F105 will NOT fit (there was some early information stating it should).

ALWAYS rotate your tires every 6,000 miles, otherwise you will experience excessive tire wear - always on AWD makes it pretty necessary. I've gotten 45,000+ miles (and changed due to road hazard damage) on the same tires others have gotten 25,000-30,000 miles on - and I guarantee you I drive my Subie Outback/Ascent much harsher than 98% of the rest of Subie Outback, Crosstrek, Impreza, Forester and Ascent owners.

Other than that, just turn to the maintenance section of your Maintenance and Warranty booklet and check the schedule. I follow it mostly to the letter - because I make extensive excessive and sometimes brutal use of my Subies, I change my oil sooner than the recommended 6,000 miles (4,000-5,000).
I know I need to keep records to document oil changes etc. if I do it myself.....I usually buy my oil filters when on sale & usually 6 or more at a time....The oil I also buy in multiples and usually when there are rebates(Mobil 1) So There is just one receipt.....
Will Subaru accept one receipt for multiple oil changes/services??
It would seem to be logical that a receipt with 6 oil filters(or 6 five qts. oil)on it would be good for 6 oil changes but sometimes company rules or procedures overrule logic...:tango_face_surprise
Thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts
I normally take a picture of the odometer with my smart phone as supporting documentation. I also write the install date and mileage on top of the oil filter with a sharpie, and snap a pic of that as well.

Similar here. Odo pic, plus pic of hood open with oil and filter in front of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know I need to keep records to document oil changes etc. if I do it myself.....I usually buy my oil filters when on sale & usually 6 or more at a time....The oil I also buy in multiples and usually when there are rebates(Mobil 1) So There is just one receipt.....
Will Subaru accept one receipt for multiple oil changes/services??
It would seem to be logical that a receipt with 6 oil filters(or 6 five qts. oil)on it would be good for 6 oil changes but sometimes company rules or procedures overrule logic...:tango_face_surprise
Thanks

IMO keep your paperwork organized and keep a logbook ("contemporaneous record") of what you did, what you used, and and when. I always scanned all of my receipts so I had a digital printable record, since the originals fade and are illegible after a while. I think it's a great idea to photograph your work as others are suggesting and then keep each maintenance job fully documented in a nice file on your 'puter. Takes a little time but nobody will claim that you faked it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Good choice on the oil. Amazon has it for $26 and change per jug

·
Registered
70 Posts
Uoa

If you're planning to keep the car for a long time, wolverine1024, invest in (U)sed (O)il (A)nalysis (UOA).
Never heard of this before. Google only seemed to locate one vendor that does personal cars. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2391900/1 :)

I haven't done one in a long, long time - that's what leasing does to my motivation, right? :eek::tango_face_wink:

When I was in-play, Blackstone was pretty much the only game in town.
I use Blackstone for my M3. Love the easy to read report and details from their analysis. Highly recommend them! They'll even send you the bottles and details of how to package and send in your samples. :grin:

Reactions: Glenda S. McKinney

·
Registered
932 Posts
Never heard of this before. Google only seemed to locate one vendor that does personal cars. Do you have any suggestions?
I'd also recommend Blackstone.

They keep track of your last couple reports for comparisons, and compare the used oil to a virgin analysis. So you'll be able to tell if you're having an increase in metals as a result of wear. They'll also give you a suggestion on whether or not you "could" run longer. This is more useful for someone like me that intends to do a severe service interval for oil (3000 miles), whereas I might not be as "severe" as I think I am, and can push more.

And just to put my two cents in with the original question, yes, you should absolutely stay on top of your tire rotations. It does make a difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts