Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the 2nd Ascent buyer at the dealership May 2018 with a surprise delivery of July 2018. I have never owned a Subaru and waited 2 years for the Ascent while looking at Honda, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota for anything comparable. My only problem is 6 windshield cracks (3 spread, 2 windshields replaced so far) in less than a year. I can't be that lucky or I would have won the lotto. The first incident happened while I am driving home from picking up my brand new Ascent, no construction or trucks nearby, I hear a faint splat on the driver side and thought it was a bug. Less than 5 minutes later it spread to midline. 2 dime size cracks and a tiny linear crack all on the driver side followed a few months later, and the 2 recent cracks that spread both happened back to back 2 weeks ago. I'm really starting to think that there is something wrong with the glass Subaru is using. I been driving for 4 decades and have never dealt with this many windshield problems. I realize that for about 98% of the year I have been driving my new Subaru, I have been looking through a cracked windshield. I have lodged a complaint to my insurance company and with Subaru.com. I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing buying a Subaru. By the way, I will be replacing my windshield for the 3rd time in 2 weeks but will be trying a non dealership vendor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was the 2nd Ascent buyer at the dealership May 2018 with a surprise delivery of July 2018. I have never owned a Subaru and waited 2 years for the Ascent while looking at Honda, Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota for anything comparable. My only problem is 6 windshield cracks (3 spread, 2 windshields replaced so far) in less than a year. I can't be that lucky or I would have won the lotto. The first incident happened while I am driving home from picking up my brand new Ascent, no construction or trucks nearby, I hear a faint splat on the driver side and thought it was a bug. Less than 5 minutes later it spread to midline. 2 dime size cracks and a tiny linear crack all on the driver side followed a few months later, and the 2 recent cracks that spread both happened back to back 2 weeks ago. I'm really starting to think that there is something wrong with the glass Subaru is using. I been driving for 4 decades and have never dealt with this many windshield problems. I realize that for about 98% of the year I have been driving my new Subaru, I have been looking through a cracked windshield. I have lodged a complaint to my insurance company and with Subaru.com. I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing buying a Subaru. By the way, I will be replacing my windshield for the 3rd time in 2 weeks but will be trying a non dealership vendor.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is the cracking all in same location? I also think it’s a frame issue and the way the glass is seated..... there may be a high spot or binding somewhere......glass from different production runs can’t have the same problem without many other owners experiencing and reporting the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.