Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is the 6 months part of this? We have owned our 2020 ascent for 7-8 months, but due to covid we just now hit 3000 miles.

We're about to take a 1500 mile road trip and trying to decide if I should change the oil before we leave or just do it once we get back.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
@TylerM
Similar situation for us. We were just under 1k at 7 mos and the the dealer was insistent that the oil get changed. We did it because it was comped. If it was out of pocket I'd have waited.

I did have a secondary reason for bringing it in. I had high oil level as others report on this forum. I wanted it noted on the service ticket in case of future issues. Immediately after the change, it was also high so at the moment I'm attributing to an overfill but I am going to make a major fuss about it if it happens the next change.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, this would be the first oil change.
you would still be well under the 6000 mile interval. You have not mentioned any hard driving for the 3000 miles nor whether that 3000 is sporadic or a few longer trips. if it is a dribble of driving each week than I really do not see the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
How important is the 6 months part of this? We have owned our 2020 ascent for 7-8 months, but due to covid we just now hit 3000 miles.

We're about to take a 1500 mile road trip and trying to decide if I should change the oil before we leave or just do it once we get back.
I just contacted SOA because my dealership didn't want to do the 30,000/30 month service - only wanted to do the oil/filter change. I only have 9,200 miles but was concerned about warranties, etc. I contacted SOA and received this reply 6 days ago:
"Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

You are correct, owners that drive low miles would follow the monthly interval. It would be important per the warranty guidelines to proceed with the 30 month service if you are indeed at that interval. If the service department is not fulfilling your request, I would recommend siting the warranty & maintenance booklet and if necessary, requesting the service manager be included in the conversation. "

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
When I was at 6 months, I was only at 4,450 miles. I called my dealer to schedule the 6mo/6000 mile service and they asked about miles. They told me to call back and schedule when I hit 5000 miles ... which was about another month later. My oil changes are at no cost to me, so that may play a role.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For all the time we owned our Ascent, the dealer would repeatedly remind us of each 6 month service - in advance. We were always below the mileage. And, when I would dutifully take the car to the dealer at each 6 month interval, the service rep would tell us we weren't due for the service until we hit the mileage number. I always insisted on the service, anyway.

Always felt like the service department didn't want to see us any more often than they felt necessary.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Always felt like the service department didn't want to see us any more often than they felt necessary.
Seeing how profitable service is vs sales for a dealership, I would doubt that to be the case. If they are consistently fully booked with more expensive services that may be another story...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Unfortunately, I think a lot of this depends on who is footing the bill. If it's your dollar, they might be excited, but if your dealership has the "State Inspections For Life / Oil Changes For Life, etc." program like mine does ... they might want to ensure the schedule is inline with their service schedule projections. Otherwise, they may be over spending.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seeing how profitable service is vs sales for a dealership, I would doubt that to be the case. If they are consistently fully booked with more expensive services that may be another story...
Our dealer was land-locked. They had to keep most of their new car and used car inventory off-site. The service department seemed overwhelmed many times I went in.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

The two values can have different meaning behind it. The 6mo interval is likely considered the ingression of moisture while keeping it in storage. You may say: well, I don't keep it in storage. It gets fired up to operating temp (to burn off any moisture) and driven through the week and month, just less frequent and duration. If that's the case, I believe it's safe to just follow the mileage instead of the time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have an extreme example to share as a cautionary tale, I guess. I'm an IT consultant, and pre-COVID, my job entailed flying somewhere every week. Consequently, our other car has only been driven about 60 miles a week for the last four years - to the airport on Sunday and home on Thursday.

At one point this past year it developed a fluid leak. I thought it was the steering rack. Nope. The oil filter had rotted because it had been two full years since my last oil change -- and I still hadn't gone 3,000 miles.

So... At a certain point, get the oil changed even if the mileage hasn't elapsed. That's what I'm saying.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,125 Posts
I'm an IT consultant, and pre-COVID, my job entailed flying somewhere every week. - to the airport on Sunday and home on Thursday.
Me too. That was my routine for 7 years prior to retiring. Thirty three years before that were mostly driving to clients regionally. Went from driving 50-100k miles per year to barely 20 miles a week since I always got a ride to and from the airport. Easier than parking.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
129 Posts
My wife only put 1,000 miles on her 2018 Forester since the last service 6 months ago. today is the 3 year anniversary of that purchase, and we have a 8 year/80,000 miles Gold warranty. We will never hit 80,000 miles at this rate. Just emailed Subaru to get their take on whether or not it requires an oil change just based on the time elapsed. Will it void the warranty if an engine issue develops in the future. Want to see what Corporate says.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My wife only put 1,000 miles on her 2018 Forester since the last service 6 months ago. today is the 3 year anniversary of that purchase, and we have a 8 year/80,000 miles Gold warranty. We will never hit 80,000 miles at this rate. Just emailed Subaru to get their take on whether or not it requires an oil change just based on the time elapsed. Will it void the warranty if an engine issue develops in the future. Want to see what Corporate says.
Funny you ask!! I just went thru this last week. I'm at 30 months/30,000 miles but only 9,300 miles on my Ascent and my dealership only wanted to do the oil/filter rather then all the manual states. Subaru replied saying...
"You are correct, owners that drive low miles would follow the monthly interval. It would be important per the warranty guidelines to proceed with the 30 month service if you are indeed at that interval. If the service department is not fulfilling your request, I would recommend siting the warranty & maintenance booklet and if necessary, requesting the service manager be included in the conversation."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.