Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,871 Posts
There are a few high milers out there, but not a "yuge" number simply because MY23 is only the fourth model year for the Ascent. @Robert.Mauro's is at something like 96K and would certainly be into the low 100's had he not been scrunched by another vehicle recently. (See Member Mishaps) There may not be many responses to your question simply because the Ascent is so new to the marketplace and anyone with high mileage is likely doing a lot of highway travel for business or other reasons.

I do not expect that the Ascent will be much different from other Subaru models and will likely support the trend for still being on the road for a very long time.

·
Administrator
12,749 Posts
Subaru bought back an Ascent at 300,000 miles (not a typo) that was used by a business for medical transport. No major issues. Needed new bushing at the 250K mile mark, which were too expensive (labor) to make it worth keeping the car. Still drove well enough to the 300,000 mile mark when Subaru bought it back.

I'd be at about 130,000 miles by now, but, my job changed to a different entity (different "company" - went from private sector to govt) that started as work at home for the first year, and then half month in office by train (5 mile round trip), instead of my usual 65 miles a day, 5-7 days week. So, I now do 50 miles a month, instead of 65 a day by 6 days (for a total of 1,600 miles a month)

Currently, I am closing on 93,000 miles, with, like Jim said, nothing new gained for a while. First, my exhaust manifold needed replacing (crack at weld), but the gaskets were on backorder for ages - took 7 weeks to get the car back, only to be crunched by someone else a mere 48 hours later. That was almost a month ago. So, other than the one ill fated trip, I've went over 2.5 months of no driving.

Regardless, my driving isn't like the driving of 99.9% of Ascent owners. I off road a least once a month, all over the country - I run MtnRoo Tri-State (the NY tri-state area's largest Subaru off-roading group). My Ascent has off roaded on forest trails, on the beach, in sugar sand, in the mountains on both coasts, and on 4x4 trails everywhere from Florida to Maine, and from Montauk Point NY to the deserts in Joshua Tree National Forest in California - and many many places in between.

So, my 93K miles is largely brutal, with around 10,000 of those miles (not hyperbole) being off road. Here's a playlist showing tiny few miles of the numerous miles I've spent off-road.

Here's an idea of some of the abuse I regularly put my Ascent through.

When I am not off roading, I used to tow this trailer (it mostly sits now, and I do tent camping in the middle of nowhere instead):
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Judging by my average mileage it’ll be 2 yrs, 4 months, and 4 days until I hit 100k. I have to admit having my cvt replaced at ~50k doesn’t give me a cushy feeling, so if it even has the slightest sign of any issues before my warranty expires at 100k I’ll be taking it in for sure.
But, judging my the number of Ascents I see on the road and the few complaints out there I’m fairly confident she’ll last beyond 100k.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm at 93k. Around 20k pulling a 3500# travel trailer. Have had a cracked exhaust manifold on cylinder 3 since around 75k. Not covered by extended warranty. Replaced rear end damaged in fender bender. Other than that, I've only replaced front brake pads, battery, tires, and oil. I live in the mountains.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Subaru bought back an Ascent at 300,000 miles (not a typo) that was used by a business for medical transport. No major issues. Needed new bushing at the 250K mile mark, which were too expensive (labor) to make it worth keeping the car. Still drove well enough to the 300,000 mile mark when Subaru bought it back.

I'd be at about 130,000 miles by now, but, my job changed to a different entity (different "company" - went from private sector to govt) that started as work at home for the first year, and then half month in office by train (5 mile round trip), instead of my usual 65 miles a day, 5-7 days week. So, I now do 50 miles a month, instead of 65 a day by 6 days (for a total of 1,600 miles a month)

Currently, I am closing on 93,000 miles, with, like Jim said, nothing new gained for a while. First, my exhaust manifold needed replacing (crack at weld), but the gaskets were on backorder for ages - took 7 weeks to get the car back, only to be crunched by someone else a mere 48 hours later. That was almost a month ago. So, other than the one ill fated trip, I've went over 2.5 months of no driving.

Regardless, my driving isn't like the driving of 99.9% of Ascent owners. I off road a least once a month, all over the country - I run MtnRoo Tri-State (the NY tri-state area's largest Subaru off-roading group). My Ascent has off roaded on forest trails, on the beach, in sugar sand, in the mountains on both coasts, and on 4x4 trails everywhere from Florida to Maine, and from Montauk Point NY to the deserts in Joshua Tree National Forest in California - and many many places in between.

So, my 93K miles is largely brutal, with around 10,000 of those miles (not hyperbole) being off road. Here's a playlist showing tiny few miles of the numerous miles I've spent off-road.

Here's an idea of some of the abuse I regularly put my Ascent through.

When I am not off roading, I used to tow this trailer (it mostly sits now, and I do tent camping in the middle of nowhere instead):
View attachment 18277
How many times did they change the "lifetime" ATF in the 300,000 miles? No idea if "medical transport" would ever qualify for a severe service schedule. I guess no?

·
Administrator
12,749 Posts
I'm at 93k. Around 20k pulling a 3500# travel trailer. Have had a cracked exhaust manifold on cylinder 3 since around 75k. Not covered by extended warranty. Replaced rear end damaged in fender bender. Other than that, I've only replaced front brake pads, battery, tires, and oil. I live in the mountains.
IS covered by extended warranty.
Tell them it's charged as a turbo charge pipe - not as an exhaust manifold. If you have problems, let me know.

·
Administrator
12,749 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hitting 120,000 this week in our 2019. The list of repairs beyond scheduled maintenance is relatively short:
-cracked windshield ~30,000
-battery ~60,000
-clunky front springs ~90,000
-brake rotors and pads ~90,000
-rear wheel bearing ~115,000

50/50 highway city miles. Tow a medium trailer (2000lbs) at least monthly.

Would really like a PHEV option on this and more Subaru models.

~jethro

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 123,000 miles in a 2019 Ascent Touring. No issues at all other than the typical early CVT shifting issues that were taken care of with the TCM updates. Only items changed so far have been tires (that last ~30,000 - 40,000miles), brakes at 80,000 miles, and a windshield at 120,000 miles. The vehicle is a nice driver, quiet and smooth! Couldn't be happier with the Ascent to this point!

My Ascent is used as a work commuter and family vehicle as an FYI. Some minor off roading, but primarily interstate (35%) and surface roads (65%).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im at 80k in a touring 2019.
New Transmission/cvt at 40k and just got a second at 80k
grill camera lense is cracked
something is glitchy with the over head unit control board. the lights work sometimes and sometimes dont. techs aren't sure and just want to replace it
routine maintenance otherwise
I should be trading in next week. my forester is at 140k and i just don't have the same confidence in the 2019 Ascent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts