Subaru Ascent Forum banner

6 children. Can Ascent work?

13K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  TheRaven 
#1 ·
We have 6 children 111 and under. We already have a Honda Odyssey as our main vehicle. We are looking for second vehicle that can tow our sailboat and fit all children occasionally if needed. I really like the Ascent. Currently 2 kids are rear facing in convertible seats still one kid forward facing and one in a booster, 2 other kids no boosters. All of us are petite fortunately. Anyone think it can be done?

#3 ·
Yes! We have an 8 seater and do three across with two rear facing and one forward facing. It all about the car seats width. We have a Diono radian and britex b safe resurfacing and Cicco myfit forward facing! We have also done a rear facing in the third row with two rear facing in the middle!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. We have an assortment of seats but currently 2 Diono radians a couple of Gracos and several boosters. We should just haul the gang to the dealer and get in and see how it works.

Here is my current thought. Trying to avoid RF in the third row as it’s a pain load a kid in there. RF graco 2D, RF radian 2C, backless booster 2P, FF radian 3D and 2 non booster kids (ages 10&11) 3C &3P. Both of them are less than 70lbs. All will have to be seatbelt installs as I’ve seen the latch anchors and the placement won’t work for 3 across.

My concerns are 2P won’t slide with the 2 RF seats in 2D and 2C. I know it will be tight, but hopefully I won’t have to cram all the kids in very often. The Odyssey has definitely been perfect for our family, but we need a second vehicle that can at least fit most of the kids and can haul the boat.

#7 ·
As far as latch anchors, there is only one set in the third row but actually all the latch anchors in this SUV are poorly placed for a large family with lots of car seats.

I did try it out today at the dealer and with seatbelt installs(not using any of the latch anchors) I was able to get RF Graco in 2D, Chicco KeyFit 2C, backless booster 2P, 2P folded and slid forward for 3rd row access just fine. Diono radian FF in 3P and my 10 and 11 y/o in 3C and 3D.

All car seats were installed tightly.
Win 1 for Ascent!

#9 · (Edited)
I say no way is that going to work. The Odyssey is perfect for hauling kids. We have one for our triplets. The beauty of the Odyssey is the 2nd row driver side and passenger side seats can be moved outboard by a couple of inches. That makes it easy to fit safety seats 3 across in the 2nd row.

Also the Odyssey has well placed LATCH anchors in all seating positions.

Unfortunately the Subie is a disaster as far as LATCH goes. There is only one in the 3rd row. It’s on the driver side. If you engage it, the LATCH buckle will obscure the seat belt buckle receptacle for both the driver side and middle seat passengers. It is literally impossible to latch your seatbelt because the anchor for the LATCH is inboard of both seatbelt receptacles, and your LATCH anchor and belt will be laying over and obscuring both seat belt receptacles. STUPID DESIGN.

The other issue is if you have kids in safety seats in all 3 seats in the 2nd row, how are the 3rd row kids going to access their seats?

Finally with both 2nd and 3rd rows occupied, you’re going to have to pack extremely light because the cargo area is tiny. Anyone who has multiple kids knows how much stuff a parent has to bring along on each outing.

You’d be better off getting another Odyssey if you need another vehicle.

#11 ·
I say no way is that going to work. The Odyssey is perfect for hauling kids. We have one for our triplets. The beauty of the Odyssey is the 2nd row driver side and passenger side seats can be moved outboard by a couple of inches. That makes it easy to fit safety seats 3 across in the 2nd row.

Also the Odyssey has well placed LATCH anchors in all seating positions.

Unfortunately the Subie is a disaster as far as LATCH goes.

You’d be better off getting another Odyssey if you need another vehicle.
I love my Odyssey for all the reasons above. And it has been perfect for trips and just getting the family around town to soccer, piano, violin etc.

I just wanted a second vehicle that could hold all the kids occasionally if needed. And was better at hauling the sailboat and getting it in and out of the water then the odyssey.

And the Ascent did work. I took all the seats to the dealer put them in the Ascent and we all fit . See my post above. The key is you have to have narrow seats and use seatbelts to install not the poorly placed LATCH anchors.

We might get another minivan, or consider the Highlander.

#13 ·
Key word small sail boat. The small sailboats multiply with kids. I have two kids, both sail. As do both parents. We have the tubby family mini cruiser that requires a huge lift to haul out. We have three Jrs sailing Dingys two the kids race, one dad races. Then a two kid euro dinghy. We have a utility/tent trailer which means we can haul two boats plus the inflatable coach zodiac on the trailer. Dads sailboat can get roof topped on the Sequoia. Thats 4 boats and a tent trailer with two kids! Not counting all the gear and crap that goes too.

If I had 6 the Suburban XL and a 8x10 Jumping Jack trailer instead of my 4x6 would be needed.

#14 ·
Totally can be done! It won't be the most comfortable thing and you will have to play around with car seats that work best. I have fit 2 rear facing car seats in my 2nd row and there was still room for a booster. In the 3rd row there was a highback booster and 2 additional people, one of the being be.

I would recommend it as your main car, but it could be done.

#15 ·
Well, we just acquired a second sailboat. My older boys don’t race just yet, going to sailing camp this summer.

Test drove a Highlander and Traverse today. Ascent is still the our favorite and prices are around the same for leather in all 3. Car seats fit as well in all 3, but 3rd row is a little bigger in the Traverse. Just really don’t want a Chevrolet.

Now to get the price I want on an Ascent. Limited for 38K. Am I crazy?

#21 ·
We haven't tried a car seat in the 3rd row yet, but I know when we've got 2 in the middle row just getting anyone in the 3rd row is tricky. We have to move the front passenger seat all the way up, as well as it leaning forward quite a bit, in order for the 2nd row with carseat behind it to be able to move up enough in order for there to be room to squeeze someone into the 3rd row. I guess if there's already a car seat installed back there, than it would definitely be possible for someone to crawl back there with the child, or pass the kid to someone already sitting next to their car seat and they can help buckle the child in. I wish our front passenger seat had the option for manually pushing it forward quickly, but at least in our Limited it's a power seat, so we have to slowly move that seat up enough to then proceed with the rest of the entry. We LOVE our Ascent, but though we've traveled with 6 and 7 fairly often, that 3rd row access is always tricky. Wish their was an extra mini door for the 3rd row passenger side. (and I've had our teens crawl out the back tailgate since it's quicker and easier that way if there are car seats in the middle row)

#22 ·
We haven't tried a car seat in the 3rd row yet, but I know when we've got 2 in the middle row just getting anyone in the 3rd row is tricky. We have to move the front passenger seat all the way up, as well as it leaning forward quite a bit, in order for the 2nd row with carseat behind it to be able to move up enough in order for there to be room to squeeze someone into the 3rd row.
And by the time you get everyone in and buckled, the 3rd row occupant starts screaming that they need to go potty.

Wish their was an extra mini door for the 3rd row passenger side. (and I've had our teens crawl out the back tailgate since it's quicker and easier that way if there are car seats in the middle row)
Can you go in from the hatch and reach over the seat to buckle a rear facing child in the 3rd row?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.