Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first vehicle without a full sized spare. Have been doing a lot (7,000 miles) of I95 driving at all hours back and forth from Fl to NJ, so far been lucky no flat. I do not see these trips ending anytime soon. I would rather have a full size spare, then rely on the donut and have to search for tire dealers if anything goes wrong.

Can we incorporate a five wheel rotation? If so what would be the pattern?

If not, I will keep a full sized spare with me and shave it down every rotation or two. Looking at the hitch mounted carrier to save on interior space. Pricey yes, but peace of mind is more important.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Yes, you can do a five tire rotation as long as you have five identical wheel/tire setups (diameter and load rating primarily, but for aesthetics, you'd probably be happier with five identical wheels. I believe Robert is now carrying five identicals and with the huge number of miles he puts on, it makes a lot of sense.

For the record, I've done three Florida trips from SE PA this year since I took delivery in May and it looks like I'm going to have to do another one in the next month and a half or so. 89 yo kid...err...mom...has some more care needs I have to address...

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yes, I am. TPMS have to be reprogrammed each tire change, sadly.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Robert, can't you have a fifth TPMS "in the rotation" (like it was a replacement for a broken one) or does the Ascent only allow for four "codes" hard-coded? My previous vehicle didn't care, including for folks who ran multiple sets of tires with TPMS and those who did a "full-size" full size spare. Whatever four were on the four corners just worked after a mile or so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert, what pattern is used for rotation. I know you keep your spare in the donut space for what ten months or so. I assume that you are really comfortable with that set up.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Robert, can't you have a fifth TPMS "in the rotation" (like it was a replacement for a broken one) or does the Ascent only allow for four "codes" hard-coded?
Sadly it sees only four. I do want to double-check that, and make sure there isn't a spare position. I am pretty sure there is not.
Robert, what pattern is used for rotation. I know you keep your spare in the donut space for what ten months or so. I assume that you are really comfortable with that set up.
That is a good question, and I will let you know in two weeks. I don't think we have decided on one yet. On my previous set, I sadly did not swap in my spare, so it is brand new.

I am getting 5 new tires, and they will be swapped with five wheel rotation. Having the spare on the roof makes that a lot easier, especially since the back of my car is always loaded with off-roading gear.

My new tires arrive in two weeks, hence why I cannot tell you until then. My service advisor and I will be deciding on the rotation plan then. I'll let everyone know what we decide.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you can do a five tire rotation as long as you have five identical wheel/tire setups (diameter and load rating primarily, but for aesthetics, you'd probably be happier with five identical wheels. I believe Robert is now carrying five identicals and with the huge number of miles he puts on, it makes a lot of sense.

For the record, I've done three Florida trips from SE PA this year since I took delivery in May and it looks like I'm going to have to do another one in the next month and a half or so. 89 yo kid...err...mom...has some more care needs I have to address...
Yep going to buy a new wheel to match. I remember you talking about towing the uhaul back and forth. Hope all goes well with your mom. Really hating on the I95 stretch in Northern Va.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
Speaking of TPMS, what happens if you don't run it? Just an annoying light?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Speaking of TPMS, what happens if you don't run it? Just an annoying light?
And the system stops reading all of them.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Yep going to buy a new wheel to match. I remember you talking about towing the uhaul back and forth. Hope all goes well with your mom. Really hating on the I95 stretch in Northern Va.
Thanks...I just got back from another visit two weeks ago and unfortunately, I'm likely going to have to do the run again within a month and a half as she's not going to be able to transition back to her assisted living room and I have to get the rest of her remaining stuff dealt with. She needs skilled nursing now. I agree on the northern VA thing. On the way back, Google interestingly routed me across the bridge at Annapolis and up through Delaware, presumably due to traffic getting out of DC via I-95 and 295. That was actually a very pleasant ride and I may start using it "whenever".

But yea...when towing. Full size spare is really important.

Reactions: dogcar

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Ok, not a bad trade-off. Pointless to require TPMS to begin with, even more silly to run it on winter tires.
Sadly, Ford owners dying is what caused it to be mandated.
Regardless. I find them very handy when I have a slow leak. I've had my tires plugged twice so far for screws being in them, and it was the TPMS that alerted me to the slowly dropping pressure.

·
Super Moderator
3,904 Posts
Yea, I like TPMS, too. Multiple times I got "early detection" of picking up a nail/screw in my previous vehicle, which also displayed each tire separately. Being able to address something before major damage occurs is a nice thing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
TPMS is a safety feature that I've always wished Subaru didn't cheap out and removed from the Canadian Ascents (maybe all Canadian Subarus in general) just because Canadian laws don't require it. The other manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, etc.) didn't do that even though they have the same choice here.

At least take the TPM Sensors out but leave the TPMS option in the dash computer so we safety-conscious consumers could add the sensors with our own money at a later time. Unfortunately, they also removed the programming out of the computer so we can't do anything with this :mad:.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
TPMS doesnt help if you tire randomly goes, not to mention there is significant delay (it's not an instant/live readout). All the nails and shrapnel I have found in my WRX and Outback were from visual inspection, nothing the TPMS alerted me to. As someone who has had tires let go, even on a motorcycle while on the highway, I don't see the value in them, nor the legal requirement for such a ridiculously expense item on each tire.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
^^^ yeah. I tend to agree, however a significant issue with the Explorer/Firestone debacle was people repeatedly and for prolonged periods driving with tire pressures too low leading to overheating and eventual catastrophic failure. Ford specified a fairly low tire pressure which made it easier to run too low, and the design of those tires was such that it was more susceptible to this than other tires at the time. Of course it's up to the owner/operator to check and ensure tires are properly inflated, but TPMs was mandated specifically to prevent this.

When a tire suddenly failed, over reaction or otherwise improper driver response to the failure could lead to rolling the vehicle with associated injuries and deaths. In testing, they conducted experiments where they forced tires to blow in various driving scenarios and found the Explorer no more difficult or unusual to control than other similar vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks...I just got back from another visit two weeks ago and unfortunately, I'm likely going to have to do the run again within a month and a half as she's not going to be able to transition back to her assisted living room and I have to get the rest of her remaining stuff dealt with. She needs skilled nursing now. I agree on the northern VA thing. On the way back, Google interestingly routed me across the bridge at Annapolis and up through Delaware, presumably due to traffic getting out of DC via I-95 and 295. That was actually a very pleasant ride and I may start using it "whenever".

But yea...when towing. Full size spare is really important.
As someone that lives near NoVA, I cannot recommend the 301 bridge enough. Southern Maryland has a ton of stoplights but the VA side is much more chill.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I was hoping to have the original question answered. What would a 5 wheel rotation look like? With symmetric and asymmetric tread pattern? Thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
don't know about pattern but Autel TS508 works well for me .. it supports 19+ ascent and forester and i'm able to change/clone Autel sensors ID after its already on the tire .
and yes you can reprogram sensor ID multiple times ..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.