Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 5,700 miles on my Ascent, picked up in August, and wanted to come back here and post a summary of the issues I have. A couple seem disturbingly unmentioned given their potential severity. I'm going to take my Ascent into the dealership in the next week or so to get everything looked at, and will post a follow-up once I hear back. I have a loaded Touring edition.

Common

• Brakes squeak. Easy to reproduce, but I didn't notice it until after 1,000 miles. Still happens every day, even at 5,700 miles.
  • The rear passenger door has refused to open on a number of occasions. This seems to be a known, easily fixable issue.
  • Cargo cover rattle. When the cargo cover is installed and opened/in use, it rattles like crazy. Not sure there is much besides tape I can do for this. It's just a really stupid quality fail on Subaru's part.
Uncommon / New

• Apple Carplay is very unreliable with my iPhone XS. 10-15% of the time, it simply doesn't connect or recognize the phone. Occasionally I have to turn the car off completely to get it to detect my phone, but a quick reconnect usually fixes it. Other times, I end up driving for a few miles and it then magically detects. I work in high tech, so I can think of a number of problems here, many of which aren't Subaru's fault. I'm going to keep doing some methodical troubleshooting to rule out basic things (e.g. the cable, a particular USB port, et cetera). Just mentioning this in case others have noticed it too.
Scary / New

• The fabric/plastic cover along the windshield on the passenger side (what appears to be the airbag cover) has repeatedly popped off. It hasn't happened in the past month, so it may have been related to the late summer heat where I am; it always happened while the car was parked. I can see where it connects to the body, and how, and despite increasingly forceful attempts to reseat it, it just kept popping off (seven times? eight times? I stopped counting). This could have been simply a quality control miss, but it feels more fundamental than that, based on my experiences with it. Someone who regularly deals with parts like these would likely know better than I, so I'll see what the dealer has to say.
  • The left support of the rear hatch detached from the hatch. Fun fact: when 50% of the support structure for the hatch is no longer present, the hatch drops like a ton of bricks (or X lbs. of hatch). It hit me in the head hard enough to daze me for a few seconds. If it had closed on my hand instead, it would have either broken bones, or dislocated them painfully. We no longer carry our 16-month old daughter around the hatch of the car, since we could easily see it causing very serious, potentially fatal damage if it hit her in the head. When it happened, I spent 30 minutes looking over the mechanism before finally getting it reseated, and then forcing the hatch to close (it locked itself open after I forced it to stop trying to close). A side note is that there appears to be no end to the hatch attempting to close when it is obstructed - I stood there watching it attempt to close itself while obstructed by the limply hanging support for about two minutes. This also may have been a quality control failure, but it is a pretty serious one. My concern is that it's a part failure instead. It has been working fine since, but I'll have the dealer check and confirm I put it back together correctly, and tightly.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Some answers...

• Apple Carplay is very unreliable with my iPhone XS. 10-15% of the time, it simply doesn't connect or recognize the phone. Occasionally I have to turn the car off completely to get it to detect my phone, but a quick reconnect usually fixes it. Other times, I end up driving for a few miles and it then magically detects. I work in high tech, so I can think of a number of problems here, many of which aren't Subaru's fault. I'm going to keep doing some methodical troubleshooting to rule out basic things (e.g. the cable, a particular USB port, et cetera). Just mentioning this in case others have noticed it too.
Besides trying different cables, make sure the head unit is fully booted before plugging in the phone.

• The fabric/plastic cover along the windshield on the passenger side (what appears to be the airbag cover) has repeatedly popped off. It hasn't happened in the past month, so it may have been related to the late summer heat where I am; it always happened while the car was parked. I can see where it connects to the body, and how, and despite increasingly forceful attempts to reseat it, it just kept popping off (seven times? eight times? I stopped counting). This could have been simply a quality control miss, but it feels more fundamental than that, based on my experiences with it. Someone who regularly deals with parts like these would likely know better than I, so I'll see what the dealer has to say.
There's a break away clip that's apparently come damaged on a few of the cars. Easy fix, if it keeps coming off (though, there's a trick to installing them so they aren't damaged during the install).

·
Registered
965 Posts
[*]Cargo cover rattle. When the cargo cover is installed and opened/in use, it rattles like crazy. Not sure there is much besides tape I can do for this. It's just a really stupid quality fail on Subaru's part.
Depending upon your road, that's pretty much going to happen with every car. We see that fairly often around here. I haven't seen it on smooth pavement, but there's so little of that around here ... (and I really wish I was kidding, as @zulater will attest).

The left support of the rear hatch detached from the hatch. ... This also may have been a quality control failure, but it is a pretty serious one. My concern is that it's a part failure instead. It has been working fine since, but I'll have the dealer check and confirm I put it back together correctly, and tightly.
Okay, that's a completely new one. All the hatches we've ever made, never heard of that happening. But you're doing the right thing - have the dealer check it. There may have been a weld stud break off - which I HAVE seen on other cars, and with no particular rhyme or reason. (Not on the hatch, but in other places.)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Depending upon your road, that's pretty much going to happen with every car. We see that fairly often around here. I haven't seen it on smooth pavement, but there's so little of that around here ... (and I really wish I was kidding, as @zulater will attest).
I have NO idea WHAT you may be referring to. ALL the roads around here are smooth as glass created by lightning in the sand...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Besides trying different cables, make sure the head unit is fully booted before plugging in the phone.
Tried that as well. It still periodically happens even after the car has been running for a bit. I actually just drove somewhere and had it disconnect right in the middle. It kind behaves like a cable problem, but the current cable is less than a month old. If I can track down a problem, or it magically stops happening, I'll definitely post a follow-up on it.

There's a break away clip that's apparently come damaged on a few of the cars. Easy fix, if it keeps coming off (though, there's a trick to installing them so they aren't damaged during the install).
That's good to know. I'll see what the dealer says about fixing it, and mention that others have run into the issue as well.

Mostly smooth San Francisco Bay Area roads and freeways. Never heard or experienced it in my 2007 Outback on these roads, so it's some combination of suspension differences, part, or part fit. It's audible over what I'd consider safe/reasonably loud music. I'm sure I can tinker with it and quiet it down, but I'm surprised it made it through the design phase as it is. Actually, thinking about it more, my Outback's bar actually dropped in and locked in place. The Ascent has the annoying collapsible spring-loaded bar, which probably explains the difference.

Okay, that's a completely new one. All the hatches we've ever made, never heard of that happening. But you're doing the right thing - have the dealer check it. There may have been a weld stud break off - which I HAVE seen on other cars, and with no particular rhyme or reason. (Not on the hatch, but in other places.)
Based on how it seems to fit together, I'm not sure the connector is welded to the hatch itself. I was surprised at how the other support seemed to give it almost no resistance. Definitely not something I was expecting to have an issue with.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Tried that as well. It still periodically happens even after the car has been running for a bit. I actually just drove somewhere and had it disconnect right in the middle. It kind behaves like a cable problem, but the current cable is less than a month old. If I can track down a problem, or it magically stops happening, I'll definitely post a follow-up on it.
Also check for gunk in the lightning port of your phone. I've had CarPlay problems similar to yours in a different car. There was a bunch of lint in the port which was causing connection issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts