Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
Never underestimate the power of the accountants in this equation. Forty years at the three largest technology manufacturers in the world, I can tell you that engineering frequently lost battles to accounting. Even when the fix was readily implementable and inexpensive. Accountants never have to wear the egg on their faces.
Subaru however i snow paying the cost for all those dealership visits, pad and rotor replacements and loss of good will. that is part of the accounting matrix. At some point the balance tips, if in fact this is what is going on.

Administrator
Yep, I'd bet that neither Subaru (who pays each warranty claim, plus of course for all the duplicate (replacement) parts), nor the dealerships (who get warranty rate for service) want to see this keep going, purely from a financial standpoint.

But, again, it's Subaru. Safety isn't about the numbers of bucks on a spreadsheet. So much so that their Corporate Social Responsibility book (174 pages) is practically the same size as their Annual Report (186 pages) - and that doesn't take into account that a portion of the Annual Report covers things in their CSR. 馃槈

Back numbers of CSR Report | Subaru Corporation

I've learned Subaru definitely doesn't operate like other car manufacturers.

Attachments

Registered
I'm taking my 2020 Ascent to the dealer for pulsating and noisy brakes while driving at highway speeds. I've seen rumors of a 4th revision brake pad. Has anyone encountered this yet?
I heard 1 revision. But you heard there are 4 variants already, and there will be a 5th version? That sounds excessive, like somebody is monkeying around.

Administrator
No, it will be the fourth version. "Revision A" is the original release. So, currently, there are three versions, including the original. Technically, that means 2 revisions and the original. This will make the third revision/fourth version.

With each new version, the complaints about pads not bedding properly and making noise or vibrating, has decreased. But, there are still some complaints. It's not unlike Subaru to try something new.

Registered
I have a 2019 Ascent with 42k miles so the fix is on my dime. I just installed a 26296XC00C front pad kit ($140, delivered), promped by vibration with braking down hill at highway speeds. I also pull a trailer of 2600 Lbs at times and even with trailer brakes I get the vibration. The finish on the discs with the old A pads is uniformly dark grey/brown, with two patches where the adhesion of the coating has areas of shiny metal in almost a scratch pattern. My hope is to have more vigorous braking without the vibration. I didn't see any indication of warpage.
I noticed that the new pads are from Italy and the calipers have ATE (Alfred Teeves) branding, a long time German manufacturer. The pad swap is pretty straightforward. That long fingered clip is odd yet works out pretty well, just make sure it's properly seated on the caliper and brake frame before re-mounting the wheel.
Hoping for smooth running with the C pads.

Registered
2020 CWP Touring
I wonder if AVH contributes to this. Because AVH will hold the car on pretty much any incline, even in drive, it's got to apply pretty firm pressure on the brake system -- probably firmer than you would with just your foot. I've heard it said that firm pressure with hot brakes (such as with trailering or after long stops in hot weather) is a contributor to the runout problem many face (which is often incorrectly referred to as "warped rotors"). The intense heat and pressure causes localized pad material transfer and then this gets worse in time with each pass of the pad as it's applied to the rotor.

I don't personally trailer and I generally don't drive the car that hard. We also haven't had any issues with pulsating brakes or the groaning brake noise some describe. I know some probably do have issues with this, even when driven lightly. And there are probably some who drive much harder than normal who don't have problems. Still, I wonder if there's at least a correlation there (with AVH).

Registered
FYI, I reached out to SOA and this was their response, "I am not aware of any such update. I checked the inventory for this part number and there are none in stock. Parts are estimated to arrive sometime in May."

Administrator
@hokiefyd I've wondered if ABS (eg: as used for wheel vectoring and AWD power transfer) may be it, especially because it would explain the pulse glazing of pad material. But, I could never attribute the necessary consistency to it.

Of course, it's not like I could do a truly scientific test. I drive where I need to, and the weather and traffic does what it wants. @Titanrx8, in regards to what you said earlier, about something external contributing to it, this is one of those things that I think may fit with the solutions they're working on, since changing pad material and design may alleviate it, since, of course, getting rid of ABS can't happen. Hmmm...

@Karpediem, thanks for checking. I'll keep an eye out on STIS as well. The first thing that will probably change is the TSB related to this, so, I'd expect it to happen once the warehouses have had 26296XC000C replaced with 26296XC000D (assuming these are what we think they are). If I see or hear anything new, I will let everyone know. I'm on a budget for my National Parks trip, so, I will be beholden to some of my technician friends to check STIS for me (I can't keep paying for 3 day subscriptions, lol... it's really adding up at this point).

If I forget to report back in a week, and no one else has, someone please remind me to ask a technician friend to check for me.

Registered
I'm taking my 2020 Ascent to the dealer for pulsating and noisy brakes while driving at highway speeds. I've seen rumors of a 4th revision brake pad. Has anyone encountered this yet?
I noticed that pulsating feel of the brakes especially at high speed with hard braking. We just recently came back from Sedona approx 1000 miles distance. Aside from that, the brakes were fine. It doesn鈥檛 bother me at all. I thought it just how they design the pads and rotor. Oh well I might let them check the brakes during the next service

Registered
So I got a call from my dealer to come in Friday with the 2020 Ascent with 19k miles for new pads. I had brought it in for and oil change and mentioned my brakes. The drove it and said I must one of the lucky ones with only a slight shudder at high speed braking. They replaced the rotors at the time but said that they will wait until the latest release for the pads. Not sure what he was referring to but I will ask to see the box to verify part number. ;)

Administrator
So I got a call from my dealer to come in Friday with the 2020 Ascent with 19k miles for new pads. I had brought it in for and oil change and mentioned my brakes. The drove it and said I must one of the lucky ones with only a slight shudder at high speed braking. They replaced the rotors at the time but said that they will wait until the latest release for the pads. Not sure what he was referring to but I will ask to see the box to verify part number. ;)
In a few weeks or a month, the fourth version (third revision) of the pads will hit the parts channel. It's the part number referenced in the title of this thread. I spoke to my friends at @Liberty Subaru just yesterday, and none of us are exactly sure when the pads will hit the parts channel. Inventory needs to be made, and then shipped to warehouses and dealers, and documents need to be updated. Then, we'll see the pads.

Registered
As promised, I am attaching a photo of the part number on the invoice, they are the D Revision. Unfortunately, there was no box available. As my service writer and manager said, these are released based on the claim we had. Basically, they are not readily available, but are being distributed through dealership repair sporadically right now. They expect the distribution to pick up soon.

Registered
As promised, I am attaching a photo of the part number on the invoice, they are the D Revision. Unfortunately, there was no box available. As my service writer and manager said, these are released based on the claim we had. Basically, they are not readily available, but are being distributed through dealership repair sporadically right now. They expect the distribution to pick up soon. View attachment 11860
We all hope the this D version does the trick. Keep us posted.

Administrator
@Busaru06 thanks SO much for sharing that, and that info!!!

Registered
We have some vibrations in our 2019 when braking relatively hard from freeway speeds.

How much vibration do you need to get the recall?

My car hits 3 years in November I think. So I should wait for the TSB for revD/rev4, and then book a service and have them test it?

I was thinking I'd wait until out of warranty and just do the rotors/pads myself, as they should be better, but then hearing about the recall, I may as well try. Just wish I had a good relationship with an individual service manager or something. I always worry that they'll just fob me off and say no issue and deny me access to a service/TSB that I should be able to get.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts