Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car went over an embankment yesterday, everyone’s ok but it’s totaled.

we’ve always loved our 4runners but I’m interested in the Ascent due to the increased safety(both inherent and active) nd also the more convenient interior.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to sway my wife, or even if I want to, but here I am.

if anyone has input on the best San Diego/Temecula area dealers I’d appreciate input
cheers
Tyler

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your 4R, but glad that everyone is ok - that's the most important part.

I had a 4R (4th Gen SR5) and loved it so much but we needed to get a vehicle with a third row, so we decided on an Ascent. We did compare with a Highlander, but liked the Ascent more, plus we wanted to stay in the Subie family.

The Ascent is a good, all-around family vehicle with 'new-tech' goodies on it (plus of course Subaru's amazing AWD system) - good luck on your car shopping!

But I do still miss my good 'ol body-on-frame rig - it never let us down. Perhaps someday will get another 4R :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought mine from Subaru of El Cajon (wasn't the smoothest purchase - I went there because they had the color/trim I wanted), and I maintain at Bob Baker Subaru in Carlsbad (the service agent I get every friggin' time seems to know next to nothing about the Ascent; plus, the parts dept guy is salty and resentful of customers taking up his valuable time).

So no, I have no positive recommendations around San Diego. But I really like the vehicle!

F.S.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I personally like the body on frame more than the unibody. Probably because I’m an old dinosaur. However I am becoming a believer in the unibody Subarus. I have been impressed so far with mine. I was really impressed with the crash ratings that can be achieved when done right. Unibody seems to allow for more predictable crumple zones.

I hate to say it but I had to dismiss the 4Runner because I am too tall to fit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I like the idea of body-on-frame for towing...and rock crawling (not that I plan on doing any of the latter with the Ascent). It isolates the load to the frame and also isolates the adapter rattle from the cabin. Otherwise, I'm down with unibody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts