Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ascent Premium
75 Posts
That picture has been on the interwebz since Al Gore first built the tubes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Very few mid-sized vehicles have the width to accomodate a 48-47.5" wide sheet of anything. I use a utility trailer for this kind of thing and have for a decade and a half.
That was one of the criteria when replacing my 4runner and I had to sacrifice a few things. What trailer do you use? Do you recommend any decent aluminum trailer?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,862 Posts
Trey, my 5x8 utility trailer is from LoadRite, a manufacturer that is somewhat local to me...just down county. It's galvanized. I think that any decent aluminum trailer will do the job, honestly...I like the 5' wide and 8' long has generally been enough for me. Since mine is open and flat, as I likely mentioned previously, I've put up to 16' stuff on the centerline with zero issue a few times. Even though I get most of my sheet goods delivered from my plywood supplier, there are those times when I need to pick up something locally that's more "construction" focused, so having that trailer is very handy. I also recently bought some ramps from Harbor Freight so I could take my ZTR to get something welded locally and the setup worked beautifully. My small Kubota tractor is too heavy with the loader and backhoe on it, but I could put the tractor alone on the trailer and still be within rating...except for Subaur's requirement for brakes at 1000' lbs. Almost none of these small utility trailers sport brakes given most state requirements start at 3K lbs.

Reactions: Trey T

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
11 Posts
Alternatively, the crossbars work as well, with big pool noodles split open and taped to the bars so the bars don't get scratched.
I'm compelled to comment on this old thread literally just due to the use of pool noodles. Sorry in advance to waste everyone's time lol.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring
11 Posts
That was one of the criteria when replacing my 4runner and I had to sacrifice a few things. What trailer do you use? Do you recommend any decent aluminum trailer?
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby their trailers are a decent value if you're only doing light duty trailering. They are definitely not as nice or maintenance free as galvanized / aluminum trailers and you'll need to put it together (most definitely making some ad hoc adjustments along the way....). And, as all HF products go, you pay for what you get.

That being said, I purchased a folding HF 1195lb trailer bc I was on a budget (about $270). My main purpose was to bring my motorcycle to and from the track, and then fold it away during the off season (away from the elements). I've also used it to bring home 16 8ft 2x4s from Home Depot and other home improvement materials that were too long for my other SUV (didn't have my Ascent then.... though I still wouldn't put 16 2x4s inside it, I think) and all in all it's worked out fantastically. It did take me a week build it out, and I had to make some custom wiring improvements (dedicated ground wire, heat shrink and spade terminals everywhere) and blue loctite on every single bolt, etc, but that was time I was willing to spend to save cost.

It all depends on what you need it for, my (off-topic) point I guess is that HF trailers are definitely a viable option but do your research if the cost/benefit ratio works for you (added some pics with the last ones showing it folded).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts