Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Ascent 2019 Touring. I want to get a Bike Rack that can hold 4 bikes. Do I have to get anything extra? Can I do something like this,
and buy a Thule 9025XT Apex XT Bike Carrier or Yakima FullTilt 4-Bike Hitch Rack? I want to avoid this,

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Do you have the hitch receiver already?
I have a Hollywood brand 4 bike holder that I really like. It has a hitch pin tightener built in so there’s no rattling.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
I think I have the exact same bike "tray" from Hollywood Racks (HR-1400Z Sport Rider SE4 Hitch Bike Rack). I LOVE IT ... but it is a beefy piece of equipment. I can move it around on my own, but have enlisted the help of my 2 boys (11 and 10) to help most of the time. it's approaching 100 lbs.

It makes up for it with it's stability (hitch-tightening feature) and versatility. I always found carrying four bikes on a "hanging" tray to be cumbersome and overly complicated. Most of the time, I just used the 4-bike hanging rack to hold 2 bikes because that was all the space the pedals, handlebars, derailleurs, seats, and spoke would allow.

But, I think @xydadx3 asked the most important question. Do you have the hitch receiver installed already? A quick look under the rear bumper should let you know. If not, you might be out of luck ... until you get one installed. But, I highly recommend the OEM hitch and you can negotiate price. Not only on the part itself, but you can shop dealerships for the best price on the installation. The great part is the OEM kit comes with the wiring harnesses (4 and 7-wire), tucks away nicely behind the bumper cover when not in use, and (most importantly) was designed and integrated into the vehicle for maximum safety as well. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
My Hollywood rack is the hanging type. I agree a tray big enough for 4 bikes would be quite large! Mine I can carry myself thankfully.
Positioning the 4 bikes on all at once can be tricky and it’s definitely for any nicer bikes that you don’t want scratches.
Vehicle Auto part Machine

dont mine my mess of kids toys and stuff 😂

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
My Hollywood rack is the hanging type.
My apologies on the mistake. Also, my experience with the hanging type has been limited with extremely varying sizes of bikes ... a 26-inch hybrid, a 26-inch "comfort", a 20-inch BMX and a 16 inch "Princess" bike! :) I never could get a good combination to work on my cheap 4-bike rack. But, I also admit that I think the size differences played a big role in my frustration.

I do miss being able to walk over and pick up the rack, put it in the receiver and go. This monster tray I have (which I do love) is a behemoth and stays on the car if there is even a chance we will go biking in the next few days, because it isn't the easiest to handle.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have Ascent 2019 Touring. I want to get a Bike Rack that can hold 4 bikes. Do I have to get anything extra?
Depending upon where your tray type bike rack sits when installed, I would replace the reflectors in the bumper with actual lights as the bikes tend to obscure the tail lights. You can check it out here: Improved rear lighting and visibility.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I carry 1 mountain bike, 1 beach cruiser, 1 medium-large kids bike, 2 medium kids bikes, and one toddler bike on training wheels. Usually the larger of the kids bikes or my mountain bike goes on the roof and the training wheels bike in the trunk. When he upgrades we’ll be getting a 2nd roof mount.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I don't know if I have a hitch receiver. I probably don't. Anyone know if the Touring has one?
If you’re not sure if it was part of your package at purchase the only way to find out for sure is to look under your bumper cover as described in the first video you shared. If the twist knobs aren’t there you don’t have one.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If the twist knobs aren’t there you don’t have one.
Most likely true, though the cover could have been installed over the hitch using the the twist fasteners that don't have the wings and require a screw driver.

It's an extra cost option on all trim levels and if you got it, it should be listed on your Monroney sticker.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I measure almost 3 inches for the second hole on the ridgeback going in, so no problem; the first time I thought it will not go past the first hole, not secure enough, but glad when I was able to go deeper with some wiggle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.