Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally got our Ascent back (yesterday afternoon). After 3 visits, lets hope we put this stupid brake/rotor issue to bed.
Finally got new set of brakes. The first time it was because of pulsating rotors then that got resurfaces, the second time was the pads were making some weird loud gripping noise when stopping or releasing brakes.. the third, fresh set of pads (supposedly the service rep said that there's a recall for the pads but I couldn't find it online anywhere) but they replaced it under warranty.

fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
The rep is a little confused. It's a TSB, to address issues like yours, if the pads become noisy or vibrate.

So finally got our Ascent back (yesterday afternoon). After 3 visits, lets hope we put this stupid brake/rotor issue to bed.
Finally got new set of brakes. The first time it was because of pulsating rotors then that got resurfaces, the second time was the pads were making some weird loud gripping noise when stopping or releasing brakes.. the third, fresh set of pads (supposedly the service rep said that there's a recall for the pads but I couldn't find it online anywhere) but they replaced it under warranty.

fingers crossed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the noise prior to the replacement but after the rotors were resurfaced. I'm sure this is not normal. Sounds can be heard during breaking and releasing the brakes.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Depending on how the original pads broke in, they will grip like that, making that noise. The new pads are chamfered on the edges to prevent that from happening. The chamfered edges resolve some of the screeching some people experience, the vibration during braking that some people experience and the more subtle vibration during the end of braking that you experience.

If you go outside now and look at your pads, you will see that the front edge is slightly tapered. This is to help ensure they wear in properly and not cause such issues.

Here's the noise prior to the replacement but after the rotors were resurfaced. I'm sure this is not normal. Sounds can be heard during breaking and releasing the brakes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mean like this? This is how I've always experienced pads to look like... at least in the cars I've replaced brake pads on, including but not limited to Toyota Sequoia, Honda's and my previous 08 Subaru Forester.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
LOL!!! You just saved me going out in the rain to take you a pic!!! Thanks for that! I literally got the post notification as I was putting on my shoes.

Yes, like that. :)

You mean like this? This is how I've always experienced pads to look like... at least in the cars I've replaced brake pads on, including but not limited to Toyota Sequoia, Honda's and my previous 08 Subaru Forester.

View attachment 5092

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these were the brakes I bought a while back... notice they have chamfers! I"m shocked Subaru doesn't have it on these Ascents "originally", though I have not seen them :D

·
Registered
71 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing. You should hear them when the get wet. Had rotors resurfaced Nov. 2019, about 14,000 miles ago, they did not replace the pads. Think I will run thru car wash and record. The edge of the pads are tapered.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is doing the same thing. You should hear them when the get wet. Had rotors resurfaced Nov. 2019, about 14,000 miles ago, they did not replace the pads. Think I will run thru car wash and record. The edge of the pads are tapered.
sorry to hear that..

I haven't had issues like this in my past Subarus.. sigh.
We will see how long these last . Hopefully I don't have to go back.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Yeah I didn't want to go out into the garage and try to take a pic as well.
Not wanting to go out in the cold 79° temperature we’re experiencing here... but the previous revision to the pads that I have installed has that same chamfer. There must be some other difference?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not wanting to go out in the cold 79° temperature we’re experiencing here... but the previous revision to the pads that I have installed has that same chamfer. There must be some other difference?
I'm not sure but the service advisor said there's one in stock on the shelf but it's the old one and said they will order me the newer version so I have no idea what the difference is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts