Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks, the carpet hides a multitude of sins.
Well the sides are about 5" tall without the second floor and it's about 40" x 40". So that gives us 4.6 cuft.
Not a lot for how much work it was, but it's so much more usable for me and what I want.
If I could tell Subaru how to make their cars it'd be to recognize that some will do this kind of thing and to build them accordingly. Wouldn't be that difficult or expensive.
Lighter seats and level floors with panels that go all the way to the floor.

I've got to measure front to back against my Outback. I built a new sleeping platform and got some of my planes in there and have much more room even without removing the front seat.
The extra headroom is nice. I can actually sit up in bed now.
Got done just in time..I leave tomorrow night.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What size planes? I like your rack configuration with the sleeping area next to it.

I have a roof top tent, allowing the full car for planes, and my rack is full width. The elevation rack sits on the backs of the folded 2nd row seats (light fragile planes on top, heavier sleeping bags and food boxes and tools below, and then super heavy stuff like the 2000w generator and lipo charging box in front of the 2nd row seats). One configuration adds a crossbar to the rear (spans the back corner of the 3rd row windows), and the other config has the planes more forward, allowing a large costco table behind the rack.

There would be huge space if I dug down to the true floor like you are doing!

Another big space saver is a hitch-mounted cargo box.

I don't compete any more, just like camping at the flying field whenever possible.

F.S.
20190420_061848.jpg

20190817_064217.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Those are some nice planes!
I've never really competed, just do this for fun. I do primarily gliders with a few hotliners for good measure. Mostly Slope but some Aerotow. these last few years.
The gliders are a little 'thinner' than yours. With the Outback I had 14 planes on one trip but I wasn't sleeping in the car at that time.
I've not tried to get my three 4meter scale ships in there yet but they fit in the Outback so it shouldn't be a problem.
There's storage under the bed and all the long stuff goes there. I found screens that slip over the windows for ventilation.
Packing light this trip. Only six or seven planes this time.

It's been just this last year that I've been sleeping in the car. I looked at the trip expenses and lodging was the most. We are usually in the middle of nowhere and the motels are, shall we say, less than 5 star? And besides, money saved can go towards more planes.
We've got a group of 25 or so from MN, IA, KS, IL, SD, NY, MO and WI and there's usually a get together in SD about once a month from March to Sep. The flying is almost secondary for me as there doesn't seem to be anyone in Milwaukee that fly gliders or like to build.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Some slick airfoils you have there. My stuff is much dirtier, and then we stick a big ol' overpowered motor up front. Physics fighting physics lol. I have one slope glider, a foamie full house for cliff aerobatics - but I suck at the slope, takes some finesse that my fat finger lack.

On the camping screen, I slept in my old Merc GL using a single big mosquito net with a small sandbag (I think it was like a sand filled stress bakl) tied to the middle. Lay it on the roof and let it hang down over the doors, and we could open all of the windows wide open.

F.S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got the majority of it done today.
Still need to make the piece just behind the second row to close in the space and a floor to sit on top of the sides.
There will be a little cubbyhole on the passengers side that needs a cover and I need to find a place for the jack.
The box covering the coolant pipes is held on with velcro and could be expanded to hide the tools. First I'll see if they can go under the front seat.

One big takeaway for me was to have a grove in all the corners to tuck the carpet. Really made it come out nice.
View attachment 1494 View attachment 1495 View attachment 1496
I fly model helicopters. I've really wanting to see what kind of space I could pick up by doing this. Very nice looking job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't know how much the stuff I put in weighed. Not much, it's just a little wood and carpet.
I don't know how much the rear seat weighed either but it was all I could do to lift it.
I've removed the second row seats as well. Kids are gone and if we need four seats we'll take the wifes car.
I've not built the replacement floor yet but it will have removable covers where the seats bolt in.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts