Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I already have the Subaru OEM window rain guards / deflectors installed.

Visually, it initially bothered me that the sort of seem to start in the front row, continue on to the 2nd row doors, and then, just... abruptly stop.

I can’t find the thread anymore and it actually might be on FB, but another member had mentioned that it bothered them too and (was it Robert?) had mentioned that they were going to try to get a second set of deflectors and mod them to fit the third row.

First off, I’m not sure that would work or look good. The shape and angle of the visors doesn’t look like it would lend itself well to modifying in that way.

I thought I’d try an experiment. TBH I’m not sure I’ll even go through with the rest of this and I’ll explain why later. But anyway, I bought this smoked lexan sheet off Amazon (about $18):

Falken Design GY2064-1-8/1224 Acrylic Gray Smoked Sheet, Transparent 29%, 12" x 24", 1/8" Thick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYSTQUE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kDL2CbDRHNDJ4

I templated out what I thought the extension would look like (sorry, I know the garage floor needs to be redone one of these days). There’s enough material in that sheet to do 3 tries (just in case you mess up one).

Transferred the template over to the sheet, and cut out the pieces using a combination of band saw, dremel tool, and finishing sanding belt.

The pattern is not too bad on the eye, although I think quite arguably, you could also achieve the same or similar visual result with say a smoked vinyl decal / sticker.

Here’s the reason why I’m hesitant: In order to maintain the chrome trim look around the edge of the window (which I personally don’t mind - but I know it really bothers some of the rest of you out there), you have to cut the lexan sheet to fit onto the window itself... so yeah, you’d have to either use a heavy duty double sided foam tape or something similar to basically paste the lexan cutout directly onto the window itself... all for just a cosmetic nonfunctional thing just cause it visually “flows” a little better... And TBH, if you *really* wanted to do it right, you might even need to go the step of using silicone caulk to seal the edges in there for when it rains eventually... And there’s no real good way to clean under it ever again once you slap it on.

So, yeah, I’m not sure it’s worth it in the end.

What do you guys think?
-C

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part deux...

Apparently I had some free time to myself last night cause this thing is still bothering me... I think I have a rough template for another two options.

I got some 1/2” wide chrome car trim (adhesive backed). Initial tests with this stuff shows that if doesn’t really want to bend around curves that easily, so I’m thinking of just cutting the template down and offsetting it a bit so that instead of mounting on the glass, the piece would get mounted on the frame like the OEM deflector.

Anyway, did a few mock ups. I’m favoring option C at the moment. What do you guys think?

Option A (original idea, probably no go due to the way it would have to be attached).

Option B: scalloping up

Option C: scalloping down, follows the curve of the bottom of the 3rd row window.

I think I like C the best because the negative space of the rest of the window seems to flow a bit better to my eye.

Thoughts?
-C

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.