Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Has anyone who been to the demo's seen the 3rd row shade in person and seen the operation? I was looking at the 3rd row sunshade option at Subaru.com and I am a little disappointed at the implementation of it. I was thinking it was a pull-up screen like the 2nd row. However from the images in the Build and Price tool, it appears the 3rd Row Sunshade is nothing more than a custom sized pad that you push against the window. Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
I haven’t seen it in person but that is exactly what it is. I was disappointed to hear this as well. There are Images of it on the build site.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Haven't seen it in person ... but almost positive that the 3rd row shade is not the same as the 2nd row screen implement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
253 Posts
Update: I found the part number

F501SXC020

and a PDF with instructions on how to install it.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/accInstallGuide/F501SXC020 - 3rd Row Sunsahde 2019 Ascent.pdf

It looks like each pad has 2 clips that wedge in between the glass and the molding trim. Not sure how sturdy the clips are, but I think my kids can easily knock the pad loose and lose the clips.
Firstly, nice find! I have been curious about these (which I did order)

Secondly....hummmmm. Not really what I expected. I thought they would be very similar to the second row shades. After seeing the specs, I expect I will install them and likely never remove them. I thought $50 was a great price when I thought they were built into the window sill. Now that I see them, it seems a little steep.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just installed these today. I won't use the third row much for passengers but to keep eyes out of the rear storage area and to cut down on a little light in back. First photo is the bare window with 20% 3M crystalline tint. second is the screens packaged. Third is installed. Hard to tell how they cut down on light in the photo but from the outside it does make it harder to see inside. Installed in 5 minutes with the clips which just slide behind the pillar plastic. pretty simple concept. (2 of the 5 minutes was me looking for my utility knife to open the box.)

Reactions: kathytn and laufu

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have seen it, and yes, it is a set of clips not a roll up. I would call around to some of your dealerships, a local subaru in the portland area is selling them for 38.

https://parts.oregoncitysubaru.com/p/Subaru__Ascent/Sunshade---3rd-Row/73184617/F501SXC020.html

Call around it could save you some bucks.
Thats exactly what I paid. I came across these numbers and used a 10% off coupon. Not sure if it was posted anywhere here but should give you a good idea of cost of accessories when you set out to purchase them.

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have seen it, and yes, it is a set of clips not a roll up. I would call around to some of your dealerships, a local subaru in the portland area is selling them for 38.

https://parts.oregoncitysubaru.com/p/Subaru__Ascent/Sunshade---3rd-Row/73184617/F501SXC020.html

Call around it could save you some bucks.
May want to factor in whether you will keep the shades on all the time or not. I think Jason referenced the clips being a bit flimsy and you may need to keep purchasing new ones...Just a thought

·
Registered
265 Posts
May want to factor in whether you will keep the shades on all the time or not. I think Jason referenced the clips being a bit flimsy and you may need to keep purchasing new ones...Just a thought
Have not driven with them in yet. I don't plan on taking them out, but I'll keep this post updated with how well they perform/hold up.

Reactions: Ctsoxceltsfan34

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have not driven with them in yet. I don't plan on taking them out, but I'll keep this post updated with how well they perform/hold up.
Driving with them is a good point, hopfully they won't loosen and rattle over time. I too intend on installing them and leaving them long term.

Reactions: Stillmotion

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did anyone get the included carry bag for the 3rd row shades mentioned in the instructions? Mine didn't come with a bag and the dealer checked another box, same thing, no bag. I called Subaru corporate and let them know.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did anyone get the included carry bag for the 3rd row shades mentioned in the instructions? Mine didn't come with a bag and the dealer checked another box, same thing, no bag. I called Subaru corporate and let them know.
We ordered them with the car too and, you’re right, I haven’t seen the bag for them yet. What did SoA say about there not being a storage bag for them?

Driving with them, you can’t notice anything, we think they’re great! And yes they cut down on light getting in and make it much more difficult to see what’s in the trunk area. :smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
They said would send that info along to the appropriate party. Didn't really expect to hear anything back.

We ordered them with the car too and, you’re right, I haven’t seen the bag for them yet. What did SoA say about there not being a storage bag for them?

Driving with them, you can’t notice anything, we think they’re great! And yes they cut down on light getting in and make it much more difficult to see what’s in the trunk area. :smile:

·
Registered
265 Posts
They said would send that info along to the appropriate party. Didn't really expect to hear anything back.
No storage bag for me either. Drove with them this morning and forgot they were there. Can’t see how these clips would need to be replaced in time. There is t much to the concept plus they are a snug fit so the tension should help hold them in place too.

·
Registered
765 Posts
DOH! Are you going to tint the windows darker now or just leave it be?
Just leave it be. My 6 and 7 year old weren't complaining when we were driving around in 100 degree temperatures on the 4th of July. There wasn't any sun in their eyes and they were back there for a good 3 hours with all the driving we did.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Washed the Ascent for 1st time today. My 3rd row shades have no clips (like the manual indicates are required. They are 'pressure fit' to each window. Anyone else like this?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts