Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum, and did see some suggestions where one could use a clamp to keep the 3rd row headrest at a certain height, but there must be a better option. My 7 year old is uncomfortable back there with the headrest down and she also is uncomfortable with the headrest all the way up.

I was considering looking for pipe insulation that I could cut to length, but I am not sure they make it in this diameter.

I also worry about, in case of collision, what the kids heads might hit-- the metal on the headrest seems decidedly suboptimal.

Does anyone else have a suggestion for adjusting the height, that I might have missed?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I have searched the forum, and did see some suggestions where one could use a clamp to keep the 3rd row headrest at a certain height, but there must be a better option. My 7 year old is uncomfortable back there with the headrest down and she also is uncomfortable with the headrest all the way up.

I was considering looking for pipe insulation that I could cut to length, but I am not sure they make it in this diameter.

I also worry about, in case of collision, what the kids heads might hit-- the metal on the headrest seems decidedly suboptimal.

Does anyone else have a suggestion for adjusting the height, that I might have missed?
Someone suggested having notches cut into the bar with the release mechanism to make them match the other rows' functionality. Someone else suggested buying a set of 2nd row headsets (which have those notches.

And then finally, I had this idea as a stop-gap solution that requires no work, doesn't entirely solve the problem, but makes it more comfortable and keeps the headrests up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone suggested having notches cut into the bar with the release mechanism to make them match the other rows' functionality. Someone else suggested buying a set of 2nd row headsets (which have those notches.

And then finally, I had this idea as a stop-gap solution that requires no work, doesn't entirely solve the problem, but makes it more comfortable and keeps the headrests up.
I remember seeing a video at some point before I got my Ascent (just drove her home Saturday! :)). Could not find it today. Thank you for posting this!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I used a Dremel and made some lower notches that matched identically how the one locking position matched. Works great.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I used a Dremel and made some lower notches that matched identically how the one locking position matched. Works great.
Was it you who posted that on Facebook? Did you just make ones that match 2nd row?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was it you who posted that on Facebook? Did you just make ones that match 2nd row?
I had not created the facebook video, but it was one of the things I did right after buying the vehicle because my 10 year old wouldn't fit in the back row very well. I measured where his head fit and then made a notch at that location and a couple above and below. It was pretty easy. Just be careful to not notch all the way through the metal since it is hollow.

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Do the 2nd row headrests fit into the 3rd row? If so does anyone have a link to the part?

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Do the 2nd row headrests fit into the 3rd row? If so does anyone have a link to the part?
Yes, kinda. It's a tight fit, and the part numbers vary per color and trim (eg: fabric, leather and which color).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had not created the facebook video, but it was one of the things I did right after buying the vehicle because my 10 year old wouldn't fit in the back row very well. I measured where his head fit and then made a notch at that location and a couple above and below. It was pretty easy. Just be careful to not notch all the way through the metal since it is hollow.
Just did the same to our ascent using a hacksaw and a dremel tool. Worked out great! Thanks for the tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts