Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Hello, has anyone had any luck finding a booster that can LATCH in the third row? For those that have used the Maxi Cosi can you please tell me if it’s possible to LATCH it in on the driver side 3rd row? Or has anyone tried the Peg Perego HBB? I’d really like to find a booster that will work with the LATCH but everything I’ve tried seems to interfere with the buckle because of where the LATCH is located. So frustrating.
It is literally impossible to use LATCH in the 3rd row driver's side (the only side that has anchors) because the inboard LATCH anchor is located further toward the centerline of the vehicle than the seatbelt latch. So if you engage the LATCH in that spot, it covers up the seatbelt latch. It's a horribly stupid design. I've resorted to using a booster seat (see my post above) and just not using the LATCH. I instead just use the seatbelts because the safety seat repositions the belt itself.

HOWEVER, I've noticed that the way the seat bottom is contoured, with my kid in it, he and the seat tend to list/tilt towards the center. That's probably not the safest position.

IMO Subaru has made a devastating bad error in design here. And it could be a dangerous one for a kid in the 3rd row.

Greetings,

As someone with two boosters (plus another car seat) in the Ascent, I understand the frustrations, particularly with the narrow fit on the driver's side, third row. However, the inability to use LATCH with a booster is not a safety problem.

I'm pretty sure that the LATCH system is a convenience, not a necessity. It was developed to make proper installation of car seats easier (hence more likely to be accomplished). Using a booster seat without LATCH is not more dangerous. (Nor is it more dangerous to attach any seat correctly with the seat belt.) Consumer reports doesn't consider LATCH anchors necessary on booster seats, and some of their top scoring models do not have them.

I use the latches on my second row booster to secure it when empty. I consider this more convenient that buckling and unbuckling the seat belt to secure it.

Here's a link to "Car Seats for the Littles".

Greetings,

As someone with two boosters (plus another car seat) in the Ascent, I understand the frustrations, particularly with the narrow fit on the driver's side, third row. However, the inability to use LATCH with a booster is not a safety problem.

I'm pretty sure that the LATCH system is a convenience, not a necessity. It was developed to make proper installation of car seats easier (hence more likely to be accomplished). Using a booster seat without LATCH is not more dangerous. (Nor is it more dangerous to attach any seat correctly with the seat belt.) Consumer reports doesn't consider LATCH anchors necessary on booster seats, and some of their top scoring models do not have them.

I use the latches on my second row booster to secure it when empty. I consider this more convenient that buckling and unbuckling the seat belt to secure it.

Here's a link to "Car Seats for the Littles".
Thank you for your reply. I agree with your comments about safety but I’d just like to secure it with the anchors so we don’t have to worry about buckling it in when not in use. It seems like a pain to have to remind my kid and like an extra step that could be avoided if the LATCH connectors were placed in a better location. I guess that’s what we will have to do, though.

Thank you for your reply. I agree with your comments about safety but I’d just like to secure it with the anchors so we don’t have to worry about buckling it in when not in use. It seems like a pain to have to remind my kid and like an extra step that could be avoided if the LATCH connectors were placed in a better location. I guess that’s what we will have to do, though.
You're Welcome. I agree with your sentiments.

It is kind of a bummer. As far as I can tell, TheLEX is correct: it is impossible to use both the LATCH anchors and the seat belt in the 3rd row. Although not dangerous, it does take away a convenience.

The Evenflo Big Kid XL, works in the 3rd but not in the middle belt position. Our Britax booster seat does not work in the 3rd, does not matter it if has the back on it or not.

I would not move a child from a booster seat, until they are big enough and mature enough to sit in it. It is about more than just size, it is also about their ability to sit in the seat properly without a booster seat.
Looking to purchase a 2021 Ascent. I have tried two booster seats and neither work in third row driver side. Problem is once its latched base covers seat beat buckle. Help. My granddaughter needs a booster with back because she is very tall. I won't purchase without her being able to sit their..
Any suggestions alrelady tried Maxo Cosi Rodfit and Chico Booster Kidfit 2 in 1

Looking to purchase a 2021 Ascent. I have tried two booster seats and neither work in third row driver side. Problem is once its latched base covers seat beat buckle. Help. My granddaughter needs a booster with back because she is very tall. I won't purchase without her being able to sit their..
Any suggestions alrelady tried Maxo Cosi Rodfit and Chico Booster Kidfit 2 in 1
We finally gave in and used a short rigid seat belt extender with our Max-Cosi Rodifit. No matter what booster you use, the base of the booster seat ends up partially covering the seat belt latch, or if you move the seat base as far as possible against the driver's side wall, then the seat base tilts to the passenger side when the child is in the seat. That's not a safe position.

So we bit the bullet and got the seat belt extender. It's rigid so there's no flopping around. Nor does it change the way the seatbelt sits on our kid. In fact, due to the fact that the booster seat is now centered on the rear bench seat and the child is sitting upright instead of listing to his right, I feel that this is a MUCH safer situation than going without the seatbelt extender.

Lastly it makes buckling up MUCH easier for the kid.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.