Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a decent fitting booster seat with a back that fits in the 3rd row? Our current booster overlaps the seat belt buckle in the third row and makes it difficult for our child to buckle himself. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I’ve been told by numerous sites now that using the extenders for booster seats isn’t safe....
Which sites? I read a lot before purchasing them, but since that was almost a year ago now I'm curious if theres something I missed. Safety first!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if this will work in the 3rd row, but you might try out the Britax Pinnacle. It's not narrow, so I don't know if it can even be installed in the 3rd row since I've never tried it... But, if you can install it with the seat belt, you can use the built-in harness for children up to 90 lbs (much higher than the weight limit for the built-in harness in all other boosters I've seen). BuyBuy Baby let's me try out seats in the parking lot, which is how I usually pick car seats, so if there is one nearby you could try it there before buying.

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a maxi cosi rodifix and found it has no issues in any seat position (currently in the 3rd row passenger side). I think I could fit 2 of them in the 3rd row without issue. I had bought this car seat specifically because of how narrow it is.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I bought this when I had the same problem. I use booster seats without the back and the only one that didnt fit well was the rear driver side. They have no problem buckling now that I added the extender.

https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/subaru-ascent-seat-belt-extender/
I emailed them about using an extender and their reply was that an extender is NOT recommended for use with a booster or any child safety seat.

I still don’t understand why it’s not kosher. But because of their response I decided to not use an extender.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I’ve been told by numerous sites now that using the extenders for booster seats isn’t safe....
The buckle height extension is not safe especially with children. It changes the way the lap belt fits over small waistline and hips increasing the probability of slipping out of the lap belt during an accident. To add to this risk at or behind the rear axle the potential for ejection is higher not only due to the large rear window opening but the increased movement forces that are seen at the ends of vehicles. When a vehicle is spun out or rolled over their is greater whip/gforces at the front and rear of the vehicle vs the middle between the front and rear axles. So not only do you want very well fitted restraints you want them used correctly all the time etc.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Does anyone know of a decent fitting booster seat with a back that fits in the 3rd row? Our current booster overlaps the seat belt buckle in the third row and makes it difficult for our child to buckle himself. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
How big is the kid? Perhaps you should consider that if the kid is big enough and the seating designed is appropriate for the kid, then a booster seat may not be necessary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Evenflo Big Kid XL, works in the 3rd but not in the middle belt position. Our Britax booster seat does not work in the 3rd, does not matter it if has the back on it or not.

I would not move a child from a booster seat, until they are big enough and mature enough to sit in it. It is about more than just size, it is also about their ability to sit in the seat properly without a booster seat.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The added safety aspects of a high back booster include protection of the head and torso from side and rear impacts. IMO this is very important since the third row is so close to the rear hatch and window.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
How big is the kid? Perhaps you should consider that if the kid is big enough and the seating designed is appropriate for the kid, then a booster seat may not be necessary.

Hes about 44 inches tall and about 45 pounds. I think he'll have to stick to a booster for awhile longer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Evenflo Big Kid XL, works in the 3rd but not in the middle belt position. Our Britax booster seat does not work in the 3rd, does not matter it if has the back on it or not.

I would not move a child from a booster seat, until they are big enough and mature enough to sit in it. It is about more than just size, it is also about their ability to sit in the seat properly without a booster seat.
I'll see if I can find this booster. I'm just looking to have him sit in one of the outboard positions and not the center seat (that seat looks VERY small). Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 things that are helpful with boosters in the way back:
1. The passenger side seat is wider due to the way the seats split to fold down. I can fit our standard Britax and Graco boosters on that side no problem.
2. If I need two boosters in the back I use a very cheap Cosco seat I bought at Walmart. It fits fine on the driver side, but it’s pretty hard and narrow so I can’t imagine it would be great for long trips or daily use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I emailed them about using an extender and their reply was that an extender is NOT recommended for use with a booster or any child safety seat.

I still don’t understand why it’s not kosher. But because of their response I decided to not use an extender.
They're playing it safe because they can't be sure about the fit with every situation.

I went with a 3" rigid extension, which isn't really an extension but more like a buckle on top of the main buckle.
It's enough that it doesn't get buried by the seat, and the seatbelt still lays exactly where it should

I will note that I only needed one on the driver's side even though both kids in the back have the same model booster. I'm pretty sure the passenger side is wider, or at least the booster sits better without blocking the buckle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, has anyone had any luck finding a booster that can LATCH in the third row? For those that have used the Maxi Cosi can you please tell me if it’s possible to LATCH it in on the driver side 3rd row? Or has anyone tried the Peg Perego HBB? I’d really like to find a booster that will work with the LATCH but everything I’ve tried seems to interfere with the buckle because of where the LATCH is located. So frustrating.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts