Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Just remove the trim panel that covers it. The wires are easy to find. Just don't cut a camera wire or heater wire by accident.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,180 Posts
Hello. Has anyone had experience with getting access to the power and ground wire for the third brake light? I will be installing a third brake light strobe module to wake up those sleepy drivers behind me.

Link:

Thanks in advance!!
Have you checked if these are DOT approved?

Fine print on their website:
"For auto safety accessories, Lighting and other Laws vary from state to state and country to country.
Kahtec Technologies Int. makes no representation or warranty to the legality of its products for street use on any vehicle or in any location."

I had a similar device on one of my motorcycle's brake lights and got ticketed in NY.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just read an article that said these are legal here in California as long as the lights flash no more than 4 times in 4 seconds. I think I've seen just that around here, where I see a quick succession of flashes before the light stays on solid.

I do find these annoying to my eyes, but I guess that's the point!!! Imagine if they were on all cars though and you were in gridlocked traffic - ugh. On the other hand I wonder if one of these would've prevented me from getting rear ended a couple months ago.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see a quick succession of flashes before the light stays on solid.
Can other members confirm that the 3rd brake light flashes 3 times before solid like my '21.
I follow our Ascent up to the first stop light on a daily commute. It flashes 3 then solid, if off the brake to move forward and back on the brake, it does it again. I ask because during the purchase the dealer wanted to add a module for 400 dollars to do this flashing. I declined but am wondering if they installed it anyway. Is this a feature added to the '21 or has always been there or dealer installed? It does not do it in park. Thanks

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Here's the funny part... cross borders, and you may get a ticket. Get some federal cop in a state, and you may get a ticket.

Cali allows three quick flashes, and then it must be solid. Other states allow 4 flashes, then solid. Yet other states allow intermittent flashes every now and then (eg 3 quick flashes, then solid for a few seconds, then a few quick flashes, repeat). Some states allow no flashing at all. AND, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108 requires no flashing.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Some states strobe light is illegal and only emergency vehicles can have one. The work around is a second element in the bulb allowing one element to stay lit, the other to strobe. The effect is that the light looks like it goes from dim to bright and back again, not strobe on/off. It may be possible to rig up one like this using this kit plus a separate LED element for the strobe and leaving the stock light alone. Get a cop behind you who becomes annoyed with your light and you'll soon find out if it's illegal in your state. Ha!

BTW, I put a similar one on a motorcycle. To test I had my wife follow me after dark while we were talking on the phone. (I have a bluetooth headset for my helmet) I was looking in the rear view mirror when I applied my brakes. My wife's face was very well lit up from my strobing brake light. She said she needed a welding mask, the thing was so bright. It was not so annoying during the day, but boy at night! I'd rather the guy behind me be annoyed than to rear-end me on my motorcycle though...

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,180 Posts
Get a cop behind you who becomes annoyed with your light and you'll soon find out if it's illegal in your state. Ha!
That's how I got ticketed. Stop and go traffic on my bike and highway patrol behind me so I didn't split the lane. After about 10 minutes of getting strobed, he pulled me over. He actually told me he would have preferred that I would have split lane and have gotten out of his line of vision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I noticed last night when backing up our 3rd brake light strobes at first. Is this factory on 2021? Wonder if the dealer that my car came from installed it and no one realized before the trade since its not on any paperwork, neither were the subaru wheel locks that came preinstalled.

Edit checked tonight. Car definitely flashes the 3rd brake light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts