Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We recently took delivery of a 2020 Touring and declined the maintenance plan as offered by the FM. I understand that I can get it much cheaper from other dealers, but I'm trying to get a handle on the value.

I did read (somewhere, can't remember where!) that the 3 year /36,000 mile service is supposed to be quite spendy - I think I recall reading that it was all-in-caps VERY expensive. I know we aren't at the 3-year point for the model yet, but I figured that some high-mileage drivers might be there already and may have data points on the cost. Any indications on what might make it expensive? Is it due to the fact that the CVT fluid inspection is due at the 36,000 mile mark and a fluid replacement might be needed?

(I'm planning on buying the Gold Plus warranty and because of this I intend to only have the vehicle serviced at the dealer, plus I'm not super DIY handy when it comes to cars).

·
Registered
731 Posts
A paid CVT inspection? I have never heard of this. The dealer cannot actually work on the CVT itself. They can only replace it. There’s a possible CVT fluid replacement / inspection at 30K.
In fact I’m not aware of any major 36,000mi crazy expensive maintenance routine.
Here’s the Ascent‘s maintenance routine:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have found that sometimes it is because dealers recommend additional service items at the 30K or 36K service inspection. For instance one dealer might recommend that the trans fluid be replaced and another might say according to the maintenance schedule it is good for life. Which one is right? Well that depends on how you drive and how long you plan to keep the car. If you are into the severe service schedule and/or want to put 300K+ miles on the car you might want to change the fluids more often. If you are gentile and plan to sell the car at 40K you may want to not change the fluids. Most of us fall somewhere in between. So you have to figure out what you are comfortable with. Me I change fluids more often then lifetime and my cars tend to last a long time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I usually get from the service writer, an induction service or BG oil service. Not a recommendation from Subaru but a money maker for the service department. I’ve had that asked by my Nissan dealer too. You can also save some money by doing engine air and cabin filter yourself. Quoted $130 plus for about 15 minutes of work.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
810 Posts
I'm late to this discussion but maybe this will help:
My Subaru App>Menu>Service>Maintenance Schedule

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I figure a service writers job is to sell service and they will commonly try to sell the "best possible" service, which is generally more than the minimum or what's deemed necessary. A CVT oil change at 36k miles done properly is certainly a good thing, though maybe not necessary or recommended by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
660 Posts
Never had a service department recommend fuel additive. If I did, I'd change service departments.

Also, the intervals have a lot of "if needed" items. So if you prepay for everything, but don't need it, you don't get that money back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have found that sometimes it is because dealers recommend additional service items at the 30K or 36K service inspection. For instance one dealer might recommend that the trans fluid be replaced and another might say according to the maintenance schedule it is good for life. Which one is right? Well that depends on how you drive and how long you plan to keep the car. If you are into the severe service schedule and/or want to put 300K+ miles on the car you might want to change the fluids more often. If you are gentile and plan to sell the car at 40K you may want to not change the fluids. Most of us fall somewhere in between. So you have to figure out what you are comfortable with. Me I change fluids more often then lifetime and my cars tend to last a long time.
Thank you for the information. I plan on keeping my 2019 Subaru Ascent as long as possible and what you are saying here changing fluids more often makes sense to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.