Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm NOT yet at 30k miles...just around 21k and bringing it in just because of how "long" its been since my last visit. So Subaru has their recommended maint:

Recommended Maintenance
  • Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
  • Inspect Engine Coolant Systems, hoses and connections
  • Replace Air cleaner element
  • Inspect CVT Fluid
  • Replace Engine oil filter
  • Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires
  • Replace Brake Fluid / Clutch Fluid (Manual Only)
  • Replace Engine oil
  • Inspect Fuel systems, lines and connections
  • Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
And the dealer has their add-ons like differential fluids and some other stuff I can't recall. Its like another $200 on top of the 30k plan above. So my question is...is whatever else the "dealer" is up-selling you on necessary? Full disclosure, like I stated above I'm not even at 30k yet and not sure I'll even get there as its due for trade in in Sept under the lease and we haven't driven much. I don't think I'm going to put another 8-9k on it between now and then. Appreciate thoughts/comments.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Keep in mind that most of this is "inspection". Most dealerships do this for free anyway. Basically the 30K service is nothing more than lube, oil, filter, tire rotation and brake service. I would see what an a-la-carte brake flush/service runs and have them do that. The other stuff I tend to do myself.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
132 Posts
So I'm NOT yet at 30k miles...just around 21k and bringing it in just because of how "long" its been since my last visit. So Subaru has their recommended maint:

Recommended Maintenance
  • Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
  • Inspect Engine Coolant Systems, hoses and connections
  • Replace Air cleaner element
  • Inspect CVT Fluid
  • Replace Engine oil filter
  • Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires
  • Replace Brake Fluid / Clutch Fluid (Manual Only)
  • Replace Engine oil
  • Inspect Fuel systems, lines and connections
  • Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
And the dealer has their add-ons like differential fluids and some other stuff I can't recall. Its like another $200 on top of the 30k plan above. So my question is...is whatever else the "dealer" is up-selling you on necessary? Full disclosure, like I stated above I'm not even at 30k yet and not sure I'll even get there as its due for trade in in Sept under the lease and we haven't driven much. I don't think I'm going to put another 8-9k on it between now and then. Appreciate thoughts/comments.
I only have them do what is REQUIRED by Subaru. They try to say Subaru doesn't take into account local driving conditions, traffic, etc. and that's why they recommend all the addons. I don't think NJ is worse than where Subaru makes their schedule for.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
I don't think NJ is worse than where Subaru makes their schedule for.
...and Subaru is based in NJ... ;)

Dealer Service Departments like to load up their service bundles 'cause it makes them good money. They are never happy with me when I refuse the bundle and only agree to what's required in the maintenance schedule from Subaru. Further, my tire rotations are free at Costco, so I'm certainly not going to pay twenty bucks to the dealer for that service, either.

Reactions: ChrisWA

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
simple - NO
complicated - NO * NO

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same boat.

I can do everything except changing out the brake fluid. I just don't have the time or tool. Maybe see if my mechanic buddy has time to do it or just have the dealer service center take care of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
plus its a lease so not sure that's even allowed
Your responsibility is to maintain the vehicle per the manufacturer's schedule. There's no preclusion to you doing your own work. You just have to document that it was done and when. The law (in the US) doesn't permit forcing you to do things like use dealer service or even OEM parts. You can only be held liable if your choice actually can be proven to have caused an issue/damage.

Reactions: Jonathan Hjelm

·
Registered
604 Posts
Your responsibility is to maintain the vehicle per the manufacturer's schedule. There's no preclusion to you doing your own work. You just have to document that it was done and when. The law (in the US) doesn't permit forcing you to do things like use dealer service or even OEM parts. You can only be held liable if your choice actually can be proven to have caused an issue/damage.
What I don't like about the dealer service dept is they can recommend a service, then note you declined service in your history whether it was their recommendation or Subaru's. It could become an issue in the event of a warranty claim.

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
I agree with you there, Ruben.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What I don't like about the dealer service dept is they can recommend a service, then note you declined service in your history whether it was their recommendation or Subaru's. It could become an issue in the event of a warranty claim.
Two can play that game. Just go into the Mysubaru app, "log a service" saying you wanted the dealer to inspect XXX, replace XXX, but was denied.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Two can play that game. Just go into the Mysubaru app, "log a service" saying you wanted the dealer to inspect XXX, replace XXX, but was denied.
Yeah but no warranty dept is going to care what you put in as notes on your mysubaru app when they ask for the vehicle service history. And in any case we have declined "intake cleaning service" and " A/C evaporator cleaning" and our service history only shows that we declined recommended service, not specificially what service we declined. Maybe the dealer network has the specifics in the system, but I can't see it in the APP.

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
If I were to hazard a guess, the ONLY thing that matters is that you have an invoice that shows the things indicated in your maintenance book were performed on the schedules indicated. And, each and every time a dealership put such nonsense on my record, I'd email Subaru and let them know, with a copy of the maintenance schedule and invoice to back up my complaint.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Waranty Is tied to defects and soa maintenance requirements, not dealer suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.