Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a call from my Subaru dealer who just took care of my car for the 3 recalls. He is recommending 30k maintenance at $650 and something in regard to the fuel injector to improve mileage for another $200 +.
Do you think this is reasonable? It sounds a bit high. I am at about 28K currently. thanks for any thoughts. Teresa

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
That all depends on what they’re including in 30k service. I attached the price list from my dealer as of 2019 and I’m at 29k-ish so I’ve been looking pretty closely at the 30k service.
If they go all out and change the diff fluid and even cvt fluid and balance the tires along with rotating them then they’re not too far off, but the fuel service seems a little pricey to me. Also if they’re just “inspecting” fluids and not changing them for that price, or just rotating tires rather than balancing them, then their price seems very high.
Be sure to ask them for a list of exactly what they’re performing for the quoted price.

For comparison I’m saving hundreds by doing most of my own service: brake flush, air filter, tire rotation and oil change.
Text Font Document

·
Registered
817 Posts
I’m curious too as I’m approaching the 30k mark.Guess they would let me know when I go in for service.
The funny thing is a couple of weeks ago when returning from a 7 day cruise I went to turn on the vehicle this big ass service reminder popped up on the HU’s screen.I never got a reminder that look so urgent like that day.
Let’s see if other members who’ve reached the 30k mark can chime in and share their experience.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd like to see some details on the fuel injector cleaning as well. As it stands, it looks like I'd opt for a brake fluid flush and alignment when I hit 30k ~ $175 with the examples provided above. I can do the rest at home, which I actually enjoy doing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
Compare that list of services to what's recommended by Subaru in the Warranty/Maintenance manual that came with the vehicle. My dealer likes to do bundles like this, too...and most often, they include services that the dealer likes to recommend that are not part of the Subaru maintenance schedule. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations and always have, despite pressure from dealer service departments to line their pockets with money. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would opt for the brake fluid flush,my oil changes are free and pay for the tire rotation which I normally do anyway when in for service.
Cabin & engine filters I’ve done myself so no need for those to be swapped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That all depends on what they’re including in 30k service. I attached the price list from my dealer as of 2019 and I’m at 29k-ish so I’ve been looking pretty closely at the 30k service.
If they go all out and change the diff fluid and even cvt fluid and balance the tires along with rotating them then they’re not too far off, but the fuel service seems a little pricey to me. Also if they’re just “inspecting” fluids and not changing them for that price, or just rotating tires rather than balancing them, then their price seems very high.
Be sure to ask them for a list of exactly what they’re performing for the quoted price.

For comparison I’m saving hundreds by doing most of my own service: brake flush, air filter, tire rotation and oil change. View attachment 3388
Thanks so much. I live in the mountains in Colorado, so everything costs more. I called my dealership in the Denver metro, and they quoted $100 less for exactly what is on the Subaru 30k list. I told him I just had the tires rotated, and he said that would not change the cost. The fuel treatment mentioned by the mountain dealership sounded like an additive treatment.
I declined anything today beyond the recall repairs. I will go to Denver for the maintenance.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'd like to see some details on the fuel injector cleaning as well. As it stands, it looks like I'd opt for a brake fluid flush and alignment when I hit 30k ~ $175 with the examples provided above. I can do the rest at home, which I actually enjoy doing.
This is exactly what I did.

·
Registered
235 Posts
How can you tell if they actually change the brake fluid? At 30k it can't look bad so are we taking their word for it because where I come from no new car dealer can be trusted. I've been ripped off so many times going to dealers that I won't go anymore unless it's under warranty.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
How can you tell if they actually change the brake fluid? At 30k it can't look bad so are we taking their word for it because where I come from no new car dealer can be trusted. I've been ripped off so many times going to dealers that I won't go anymore unless it's under warranty.
Install under hood hidden cameras or use advanced interrogation techniques. I’m a bit silly and found a dealer’s service department that I trust.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
How can you tell if they actually change the brake fluid?
I noticed as well that the old fluid was still very clear when I replaced my fluid recently. Other than volume discharged there was no way to tell if I had exchanged all the fluid so I probably used more than I actually needed just to be sure.
If you can get a tamper seal sticker for the cap and small ones for the bleed valves you’ll at least know if they broke the seal. But without physically seeing them remove fluid that would all be circumstantial evidence.
I also always mark my tires before going in to see if they rotated them, and how they rotated them.
I've yet to find a shop I’d trust!

·
Registered
134 Posts
We just had the 30k service done this week, and they changed the cabin air filter. The dealership we bought the Ascent from quoted us $600. The dealership we took it to, in the OTHER medium city we can drive to, charged us $400.

·
Registered
23 Posts
follow what SOA maintenance schedule recommends.....I see the bundled packages for the alignment, fuel injection cleaning/additive etc......that's nothing but a money maker for the dealership.....oil change, filters changed, brake fluid, tire rotation...….and the normal inspections of the other systems...….$400 is way to high in my opinion. Filters are easy to do yourself...….total service as mentioned should be around $175...…...at a honest dealership

1 - 20 of 25 Posts